Print Thread
Which DC relaunch titles will you be reading?
Hypoxic
Forgot to mention that I read Demon Knights, which is unfortunate because it was excellent.

The Dark Line is really shaping up (excluding Resurrection Man. Did I happen to mention how terrible that was? Yeah, it's terrible).

I think Demon Knights may become one of my top buys and constant favourites of the relaunch. It just has so much going for it, and #1 was full of great story, great characters, great art, and just a damn good comic book experience. If you haven't, pick it up.

As for this week's list of releases, I'm not so excited. For me this is the least interesting week for the #1's. I'm not sure I'll get anything this week. I plan on getting four or five next week, but I may keep the ol' wallet closed come this Wednesday.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

NeoRanger
I couldn't get into Demon Knights. Too Dungeons & Dragons-ish for my tastes. Not that there's anything wrong with D&D, it's just not particularly interesting to me. I also couldn't get into Red Lanterns.

GL #1 and Suicide Squad also proved major disappointments. The Bat-titles are all solid, but I find Batwoman and Batwing redundant and the rest just standard Batman stuff.

Hypoxic

>NeoRanger wrote:

I couldn't get into Demon Knights. Too Dungeons & Dragons-ish for my tastes. Not that there's anything wrong with D&D, it's just not particularly interesting to me. I also couldn't get into Red Lanterns.

GL #1 and Suicide Squad also proved major disappointments. The Bat-titles are all solid, but I find Batwoman and Batwing redundant and the rest just standard Batman stuff.

Interesting. I loved Demon Knights, and have an interesting affection for Red Lanterns. I think it was solid, and enjoy it more and more as time goes by.

Speaking of Batman, Detective Comics was a disappointment for me. As I mentioned a few posts back, it was just standard stuff with a boring Batman. With that said, Batman #1 is out this week. Anyone going to give it a shot? I likely will, but I'm committing myself to only two Batman titles, unless any more are absolutely excellent. I think it may be Batman and Dark Knight. Their initial premises sound good.
_____

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

>NeoRanger wrote:

Interesting. I loved Demon Knights, and have an interesting affection for Red Lanterns. I think it was solid, and enjoy it more and more as time goes by.

Speaking of Batman, Detective Comics was a disappointment for me. As I mentioned a few posts back, it was just standard stuff with a boring Batman. With that said, Batman #1 is out this week. Anyone going to give it a shot? I likely will, but I'm committing myself to only two Batman titles, unless any more are absolutely excellent. I think it may be Batman and Dark Knight. Their initial premises sound good.

Yes, I'm going to get Batman #1 - thanks for asking Smile I really liked DC #1, and though it was standard batman I haven't really committed to a batman comic ever. I have just general knowledge so it was pretty enjoyable to me. The only other bat-title i'm reading is B&R, just cuz I want to see how Bruce brings his son along.

Hypoxic
Looks like Batman #1 is getting lots of love. I've seen some reviews though saying things like "not much to love". IGN gave it a 9/10, of course, but Bruce could be doing chores around Wayne Manor for an entire issue and they'd give it a high score. Their comic reviews are worse than their game reviews.

Anyway, seeing as I was disappointed with Detective Comics #1, I'm really hoping this is great. I'd like two Batman titles on my pull list, and I don't think Detective Comics is going to be on it. So, it's down to this and The Dark Knight (No, thanks, on the rest).
_____

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

Looks like Batman #1 is getting lots of love. I've seen some reviews though saying things like "not much to love". IGN gave it a 9/10, of course, but Bruce could be doing chores around Wayne Manor for an entire issue and they'd give it a high score. Their comic reviews are worse than their game reviews.

IGN as become a group of fan boys or better yet a group of fraternity guys. They all have the same opinion and feelings on a lot of things, they don't want to break that trend or differ in opinion. When they review the conversation probaly sounds like
"Dude Bro Dude Like...are you ready? Dude Batman is frickin' aw...... Dude are you listening Dude......Bro Batman is frickin' awesome!" *laughter and high fives*

>Hypoxic wrote:

Anyway, seeing as I was disappointed with Detective Comics #1, I'm really hoping this is great. I'd like two Batman titles on my pull list, and I don't think Detective Comics is going to be on it. So, it's down to this and The Dark Knight (No, thanks, on the rest).

Yeah I got Detective Comcis (apprently DC's flagship title?) and Batman on digits. I'll probably check out The Dark Knight but that's about it, the rest is "Lets capitalize on Batman's popularity"

They could just see how far they could push it though. Batman and the Miami Dolphin Cheer Leaders, Batman sings the blues (great in comic form) Batman joins the Army so he can get a Ranger Tab, Batman does Dallas, Batman can you hear me now, Batman CSI, Batman Jersey Shore, Batman Housewives of Gotham, Dancing with The Stars....and Batman

Zaniah
I thought Batman #1 was good...IGN's review was pretty spot on for me. I liked the interaction between all the main players...and the new technology was cool too...if not completely unbelieveable of course. Nolan wouldn't do anything like it at all....

DC Universe presents was a good story for me, I like dead man after only seeing him in Flashpoint and Blackest Night...I didn't know his true origin very well and this shared that with me in a matter of 2 or 3 pages. Sam Beckett would be proud of Boston Brand....except for the very last page that is.

Hypoxic

>A6K wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

IGN as become a group of fan boys or better yet a group of fraternity guys. They all have the same opinion and feelings on a lot of things, they don't want to break that trend or differ in opinion. When they review the conversation probaly sounds like
"Dude Bro Dude Like...are you ready? Dude Batman is frickin' aw...... Dude are you listening Dude......Bro Batman is frickin' awesome!" *laughter and high fives*

>Hypoxic wrote:

Yeah I got Detective Comcis (apprently DC's flagship title?) and Batman on digits. I'll probably check out The Dark Knight but that's about it, the rest is "Lets capitalize on Batman's popularity"

They could just see how far they could push it though. Batman and the Miami Dolphin Cheer Leaders, Batman sings the blues (great in comic form) Batman joins the Army so he can get a Ranger Tab, Batman does Dallas, Batman can you hear me now, Batman CSI, Batman Jersey Shore, Batman Housewives of Gotham, Dancing with The Stars....and Batman

By 'flagship' I think it's meant that it's the title from which the company took its name.

I've said it before, this whole "do Batman to death" approach is going come back poorly on DC. There are far too many Batman related titles, and historically this isn't good. The whole idea of putting Robin in a single book so as to appeal to those who like Robin (at least the Damien Robin) and leave him out of the other books to appeal to those who don't like Robin isn't fan service: it's foolishness. Robin is either in every title with Batman, not in any title, or only in Teen Titans, and sometimes shows up to see what Batman's up to.

I'd love to see Lifestyles of the Rich & Batman. Wait a tick... no, I wouldn't.
_____

Hypoxic
Read Batman #1. It's good, better than Detective Comics #1, but still not giving me the excitement I want.

The beginning was a little awkward, the writing and pacing a little clumsy.

The middle was about as bombastic as a comic can get. I can't help but feel it was mostly filler.

The end was excellent. This is what I love about Batman comics: seeing the World's Greatest Detective actually being a detective. The dialogue is solid and the characterization of Bats is spot on: intelligent, thorough, prepared, dark. It's great reading.

Despite the greatness that the final few pages provide, the lead up falls short.

The reviews are far too generous, but in the current Batman-centric comic media, it isn't surprising.

I'm going to give #2 a shot to win me over, but I have to say, these two Batman titles are simply haven't delivered strongly enough.

3.5 out of five, and 2.5 of that score is for the ending alone.
_____

Hypoxic
DC Universe Presents #1 is mostly underwhelming. It's nice to see the origin story and the introduction of the intriguing situation that Boston Brand's ghost has to face, though.

The biggest problem: it's far too wordy. I love story development and understanding the trials of characters, but it really wasn't necessary to have the backgrounds of six of Brand's hosts thrown at us on a single page. Like Bruce Wayne's party speech in Batman #1, it just comes across as long winded filler, and that doesn't sit well for a comic that barely cracks twenty pages.

This aside, there are a few points of dialogue throughout that are really well plotted, and for the most part keep the story afloat.

The art wasn't remarkable, but nice to look at just the same in several parts. Deadman himself looks really good.

I'm not sure if I care enough about the concluding situation to come back for #2, and I'm not sure how this can be stretched out over five issues. I'm still considering it, but will have to depend on reviews and even then I may wait the extra month to get it a buck cheaper.

Hopefully Deadman gets a better treatment next week in Justice League Dark.

2.5 out of five.
_____

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

Read Batman #1. It's good, better than Detective Comics #1, but still not giving me the excitement I want.

The beginning was a little awkward, the writing and pacing a little clumsy.

The middle was about as bombastic as a comic can get. I can't help but feel it was mostly filler.

The end was excellent. This is what I love about Batman comics: seeing the World's Greatest Detective actually being a detective. The dialogue is solid and the characterization of Bats is spot on: intelligent, thorough, prepared, dark. It's great reading.

Despite the greatness that the final few pages provide, the lead up falls short.

The reviews are far too generous, but in the current Batman-centric comic media, it isn't surprising.

I'm going to give #2 a shot to win me over, but I have to say, these two Batman titles are simply haven't delivered strongly enough.

3.5 out of five, and 2.5 of that score is for the ending alone.

How did you like the line "He's using it to remember who YOU are, Drake?"

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

DC Universe Presents #1 is mostly underwhelming. It's nice to see the origin story and the introduction of the intriguing situation that Boston Brand's ghost has to face, though.

The biggest problem: it's far too wordy. I love story development and understanding the trials of characters, but it really wasn't necessary to have the backgrounds of six of Brand's hosts thrown at us on a single page. Like Bruce Wayne's party speech in Batman #1, it just comes across as long winded filler, and that doesn't sit well for a comic that barely cracks twenty pages.

This aside, there are a few points of dialogue throughout that are really well plotted, and for the most part keep the story afloat.

The art wasn't remarkable, but nice to look at just the same in several parts. Deadman himself looks really good.

I'm not sure if I care enough about the concluding situation to come back for #2, and I'm not sure how this can be stretched out over five issues. I'm still considering it, but will have to depend on reviews and even then I may wait the extra month to get it a buck cheaper.

Hopefully Deadman gets a better treatment next week in Justice League Dark.

2.5 out of five.

I didn't think it was the best Comic ever..but I enjoyed it. It was nice getting to know the character, I don't know anything about him except what I've seen in Flashpoint and Blackest Night - which I bet isn't even a good representation.

Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

How did you like the line "He's using it to remember who YOU are, Drake?"

Good line. Damien's a little punk, all right.
_____

Hypoxic
Read The Dark Knight, or I should say I suffered my way through it. It was pretty bad. I don't think I ever cared less for Batman in one of his own titles.

Most of my distaste comes from the pacing and art.

I found myself about a quarter way through it not caring what happened to Batman, Arkham, or the cops trapped inside.

The art was at times down right ugly. Facial expressions are notably bad, as it often looks like faces are melting.

Well, the decision for which Batman titles I will add to my pull list was made easy. I wanted two, but I think I will only go with one, Batman. I just might give Detective Comics another shot, but DK is receiving no mercy.

I'm thoroughly disappointed in Batman's outings in the New 52.

Edit: Forgot to give a rating. Being generous, a 2 out of 5.

Edited by Hypoxic on 30/09/2011 00:01

_____

a_cunning_disguise
All Star Western was very good. 3.5/5

The Dark Knight seemed to spurn it's best idea half way through and became just another Batman v Arkham inmates go around.

Aquaman. Maybe 2.5/5. Some potential though.

Flash- Not sure. Not read a Flash comic before and will need to think about whether to carry on with it.

King Creole
I bought a few of Batman and its related titles, and most were forgetable stories. Don't know why the fascination with this character. I mean Batman is cool, and obviously an interesting character to read. But enough is enough. I seen Batman in those kinds of situation depicted in these issues like a billion times before, that they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Batman #1 was boring, Detective Comics #1 was meh, The Dark Knight #1 was not bad, but could've been better, Batgirl #1 was surprisingly ok for me.

Overall, the Batman titles aren't that good as most people/critics would probably say.
You are here for a reason.

King Creole
The big surprise for me was Aquaman #1. Even though I read it in less than five minutes (I know, that's a lot of time for most of you guys) It was real good. It was this week most enjoyable title. I'm not a fan of Geoff Johns. Always thought that his writing was overrated, but with this title he proved that Aquaman could be a really interesting character with a lot of depth.

The art was spectacular. Ivan Reis is easily one of the best artist around today in the industry, and becoming one of my favorites.

4.5 out of 5.
You are here for a reason.

baalroo

>King Creole wrote:

The big surprise for me was Aquaman #1. Even though I read it in less than five minutes (I know, that's a lot of time for most of you guys) It was real good. It was this week most enjoyable title. I'm not a fan of Geoff Johns. Always thought that his writing was overrated, but with this title he proved that Aquaman could be a really interesting character with a lot of depth.

The art was spectacular. Ivan Reis is easily one of the best artist around today in the industry, and becoming one of my favorites.

4.5 out of 5.

Yeah, Aquaman was a big surprise for me as well. I think I've made my opinion of Johns pretty clear, but I actually enjoyed his take on Aquaman. The way he brings in the criticism of Aquaman to the comic book world was actually pretty brilliant, and there was less exposition and clunky dialogue here than I think I've EVER seen Johns manage. It was still a bit awkward to read, but I have to admit I enjoyed the PREMISE quite a bit.

Solid 3 out of 5

Hypoxic

>King Creole wrote:

The big surprise for me was Aquaman #1. Even though I read it in less than five minutes (I know, that's a lot of time for most of you guys).

I actually take about a half hour or longer to read a standard length comic. As a visual medium, I think it deserves to be observed as well as read. There's a lot to say for an artist who can convey the action of the dialogue through the art. For me, that takes time.

I just finished All-Star Western. I thought it was decent enough. Hex is still a great anti-hero. Setting it in Gotham was ambitious, but it doesn't really come off as anything but a gimmick. I suppose the idea of keeping the story firmly in the DCU was a good idea, but it doesn't add anything to story to have Amadeus Arkham as a main character and seems more like fan service to have Mayor Cobblepot and Alan Wayne in the story. Then, the question: service for which fans? Batman fans? That's only assuming Batman fans, generally speaking, also read All-Star Western. Setting it in Gotham, and throwing the Welcome to Gotham sign right on the cover was an attempt to bring readers over to the title.

The story didn't need to be extra-sized. There's a lot of filler, and is it ever bombastic. The good doctor's breakdown of Hex was fine for the first few panels, but it just drags on in the middle, and becomes superfluous very quickly. The story could have been better served without being extra-sized.

I'm still not overly sure what to think about the Jack the Ripper approach to the Gotham Butcher. Now that we know there's a society involved, I can't help but think From Hell.

All in all, it isn't that bad, but it only has issue 2 to win me over completely.

An unstable 3 out of 5.
_____

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

>King Creole wrote:

The big surprise for me was Aquaman #1. Even though I read it in less than five minutes (I know, that's a lot of time for most of you guys).

I actually take about a half hour or longer to read a standard length comic. As a visual medium, I think it deserves to be observed as well as read. There's a lot to say for an artist who can convey the action of the dialogue through the art. For me, that takes time.

I just finished All-Star Western. I thought it was decent enough. Hex is still a great anti-hero. Setting it in Gotham was ambitious, but it doesn't really come off as anything but a gimmick. I suppose the idea of keeping the story firmly in the DCU was a good idea, but it doesn't add anything to story to have Amadeus Arkham as a main character and seems more like fan service to have Mayor Cobblepot and Alan Wayne in the story. Then, the question: service for which fans? Batman fans? That's only assuming Batman fans, generally speaking, also read All-Star Western. Setting it in Gotham, and throwing the Welcome to Gotham sign right on the cover was an attempt to bring readers over to the title.

The story didn't need to be extra-sized. There's a lot of filler, and is it ever bombastic. The good doctor's breakdown of Hex was fine for the first few panels, but it just drags on in the middle, and becomes superfluous very quickly. The story could have been better served without being extra-sized.

I'm still not overly sure what to think about the Jack the Ripper approach to the Gotham Butcher. Now that we know there's a society involved, I can't help but think From Hell.

All in all, it isn't that bad, but it only has issue 2 to win me over completely.

An unstable 3 out of 5.

Ok, I learned on lot in this post! I've never read Hex, but I was pretty sure I was going to pick it up when I saw it in the new 52 line up. I figured Hex was part of Gotham's history, and I was trying to reconcile that with some of the stuff that was said in the Comic (Some girl says to JH "I never thought I would see you in Gotham"Wink I really enjoyed this story, and I was trying hard not to compare it to "Gotham by Gaslight" though there were many similar themes. Here's to hoping we continue to have some good detective work next month in this title was well as Batman and DC.

Jump to Forum: