Print Thread
Which DC relaunch titles will you be reading?
baalroo
Personally, I think I'll be picking up:

Action Comics
All-Star Western
Animal Man
Batman
DC Universe Presents
Demon Knights
Frankenstein Agent of Shade
I, Vampire
Justice League Dark
Resurrection Man
Stormwatch
Swamp Thing
Fury of Firestorm

I've pretty much chosen based entirely off of the creative teams.

I'm on the fence with:

Superman
Batman Inc.
Batman & Robin
Nightwing
Green Arrow
Wonder Women

I don't think I have much interest at all in anything I didn't mention.

So what are you going to read (or avoid), and why?

Zaniah
Action Comics
Batman
Batman and Robin
Justice League
Superman

Maybe GL, Nightwing

I don't see Superman/Batman on the relaunch list...and I don't see it in the upcoming comics section at DC or I would be listing that.

Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

I don't see Superman/Batman on the relaunch list...and I don't see it in the upcoming comics section at DC or I would be listing that.

Superman/Batman is being cancelled. It's a shame, I really liked a lot of those stories.

On my list:

Definitely -

Action Comics
Superman: The Man of Tomorrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern: The New Guardians
The Flash
Batman
The Fury of Firestorm

Very likely -

Green Lantern Corps
Red Lanterns
Justice League
Swamp Thing
Detective Comics

Considering -

DC Universe Presents
I, Vampire
Deathstroke
Justice League Dark
The Savage Hawkman

Edited by Hypoxic on 25/07/2011 10:04

Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

UCLGeogPhD
Batman
Batman and Robin
Nightwing
Justice League
Justice League International

Maybe Red Lanterns

I don't see Batman inc on the September list though....Oh no there it is, reissued again at #1 in 2012. Not seeing the point in the new numbering again so quickly on that one, seems remarkably pointless. But I'll prob get it when it comes out.

Hypoxic

>UCLGeogPhD wrote:

I don't see Batman inc on the September list though....Oh no there it is, reissued again at #1 in 2012. Not seeing the point in the new numbering again so quickly on that one, seems remarkably pointless. But I'll prob get it when it comes out.

Well, after the relaunch Dick Grayson won't be Batman anymore. The only man under the cowl DC Universe wide will be Bruce Wayne. In that regard, it isn't the same series and makes sense to renumber it. Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleeson will be the creative team behind it though.
_____

King Creole
Action Comics
Superman
Detective Comics
Batman
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Flash
JLA
Aquaman
Deathstoke
Swamp Thing

And maybe, just maybe, some other related Batman titles. I may pick up others, and drop some as time goes by.

I wonder why there is no Captain Marvel (Shazam) title? Does any one knows why? Will he be part of any of the Justice League? I think with a good writer his comic could be awesome.
You are here for a reason.

baalroo

>King Creole wrote:

Action Comics
Superman
Detective Comics
Batman
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Flash
JLA
Aquaman
Deathstoke
Swamp Thing

And maybe, just maybe, some other related Batman titles. I may pick up others, and drop some as time goes by.

I wonder why there is no Captain Marvel (Shazam) title? Does any one knows why? Will he be part of any of the Justice League? I think with a good writer his comic could be awesome.

from what I understand, they set the number (52) and then filled the spots with what they felt was the strongest of the pitches for books and that filled the widest space as possible in terms of style and approach. They also have stated that they will give all 52 of these books at least 6 issues or so to find their footing and their audience, and after that point if they cancel things they will replace them with other ideas that they have waiting on the backburner. They also say they haven't ruled out adding more than 52 monthly titles, but these are simply the 52 they felt best represented the new DCU at launch.

I can't imagine they won't at least give Shazam a shot, but honestly I would like to see them go for the youth market with the title.

Hypoxic
Baalroo, did you pick up Animal Man? How was it?
_____

Comicsbloger
I like Hypoxic's list but I would add Captain Atom they have given him powers that make him God like want to see how he handles those powers.
Keep the main thing the main thing

baalroo

>Hypoxic wrote:

It was fantastic. Definitely pick it up. It's very much the spiritual predecessor of the Grant Morrison run of the character. Lemire got Buddy and the family pitch perfect, but added his own touches to the character and progressed him in a very interesting way. Even breaks the fourth wall a bit (which is an absolute necessity IMO for an Animal Man book) by quoting himself in a supposed magazine article on the first page that introduces the reader to the basic set up. The level of writing between this and JL #1 (the only other DC relaunch title I'd read when I read Animal Man) is so night and day that it's ridiculous. The art is gorgeous and harkens DIRECTLY back to Troug's thin lines, negative spaces of white, and just generally stark and minimalist art style. This is the most "indie" I've seen DC in years.

5 out of 5

NeoRanger
Excuse the off-topic note, but should we have a thread for the other 52 launch titles (the non-Superman-related ones), for recommendations and whatnot? Or use this one?

Hypoxic

>NeoRanger wrote:

Excuse the off-topic note, but should we have a thread for the other 52 launch titles (the non-Superman-related ones), for recommendations and whatnot? Or use this one?

I think we're good using this one.
_____

Hypoxic

>baalroo wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

It was fantastic. Definitely pick it up. It's very much the spiritual predecessor of the Grant Morrison run of the character. Lemire got Buddy and the family pitch perfect, but added his own touches to the character and progressed him in a very interesting way. Even breaks the fourth wall a bit (which is an absolute necessity IMO for an Animal Man book) by quoting himself in a supposed magazine article on the first page that introduces the reader to the basic set up. The level of writing between this and JL #1 (the only other DC relaunch title I'd read when I read Animal Man) is so night and day that it's ridiculous. The art is gorgeous and harkens DIRECTLY back to Troug's thin lines, negative spaces of white, and just generally stark and minimalist art style. This is the most "indie" I've seen DC in years.

5 out of 5

Yeah, I'm convinced. I'll pick it up and get back with my take.

In the meantime, I just finished Swamp Thing. Snyder keeps it dialogue driven with wonderful narration. It's very strong on story, which is accented beautifully - and eerily - by Paquette's art. It's creepy, haunting, and mysterious. Exactly what I was hoping for. I must say, too, that this is my favourite cover of the #1's.

I'm definitely coming back for #2.

4.5 out of 5
_____

A6K
Right now I have Subscriptions to
Superman
Action Comics
JLA

I just wanted hard copies of those and will most likley box them up and after realizing that they are not worth anything I'll kick myself asking "WTF did I get these?"

I'm considering

Batman
Detective Comics
Wonder Woman

But only in digits not hard copy.

NeoRanger

>Hypoxic wrote:

In the meantime, I just finished Swamp Thing. Snyder keeps it dialogue driven with wonderful narration. It's very strong on story, which is accented beautifully - and eerily - by Paquette's art. It's creepy, haunting, and mysterious. Exactly what I was hoping for. I must say, too, that this is my favourite cover of the #1's.

4.5 out of 5

I'm torn on the Swamp Thing. I liked it well-enough, but there's nearly two pages of exposition that don't expose anything useful. I'm really not well-versed on the Swamp Thing and I felt lost.

A6K

>NeoRanger wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

4.5 out of 5

I'm torn on the Swamp Thing. I liked it well-enough, but there's nearly two pages of exposition that don't expose anything useful. I'm really not well-versed on the Swamp Thing and I felt lost.

I know, Swamp Thing was a moive I saw as a kid.....That's about all I got in terms of Swamp Thing knowledge.

baalroo
Swamp Thing

Honestly, it was a bit confusing and convoluted. I've read some of the original v1 stuff, as well as the Alan Moore run many years ago, but I still wasn't sure what was going on here. That being said, I'm pretty sure the mystery was intentional. Not the best #1 issue in terms of trying to garner a new casual reader's interest, but for a seasoned comic book fan the lack of clarity could actually probably be seen as a positive. Many of us have read enough over the years that very little, especially in the DCU, is much of a mystery... so in a way it was a very welcome change of pace.

Speaking of "pace," the pacing on this one was certainly on the slow side. There's no action, and really, no "superheroics" to speak of. Now, that's not a bad thing by my account, but it may very well turn off some readers.

Loved the cameo in the middle, and the dialogue (and monologues) were articulate and thought provoking.

Yannick's art was lush and expressive, and the coloring especially was just plain gorgeous.

There's a lot to love in this issue.

4 out of 5

Stormwatch

I'm a big Cornell fan from his run on Action Comics, but this one was hit and miss for me. The writing was really spotty, there's a dry british wit infused throughout but in some places Cornell seems to be showing signs of same Exposition bug that Geoff Johns seems to chronically suffer from. I like that we get to see Apollo and Midnighter pre-relationship, and Martian Manhunter's inclusion on the team is, even if probably a decision made by the "higher ups" in DC, a perfect match.

I'm not sold on the artwork either, it's got that over saturated "everything is bright red and deep blue" thing going on that for some reason just really gets on my nerves... with big bold colorful dialogue boxes that get in the way of the scenes, but I get where they're going with it and can see the appeal for the story they seem to be trying to tell.

This one is right on the verge for me. I'll probably acquire *wink wink* the next few issues to see if Cornell can hook me in with his british charm. I'm a fan of Mid-pollo, and J'onn... so it's also got that going for it.

3 out of 5

NeoRanger
Without going into much detail, I agree with baalroo about Animal Man #1. It was great. Batgirl also surprised me; I had quite a bit of fun reading it.

Hypoxic
I see the mystery in Swamp Thing as intentional, particularly considering we don't actually see the baddie from a good perspective. I agree that it may not be strong enough on the action or simply clear enough to hook in new comic book readers. While reading it, I actually forgot that that is part of the intention of this relaunch. I see the mystery, perhaps selfishly, as a good thing.

The whole end was just eerie. It didn't give me a sense of dread like Moore's first Swamp Thing issue, but I think the solid writing made up for that.

Picked up Animal Man (that is, I got it from the DC app). I'll read it today.
_____

Zaniah

>Zaniah wrote:

Action Comics
Batman
Batman and Robin
Justice League
Superman

Maybe GL, Nightwing

I have revised my Pull list, right now I'm pulling

Action - Very Good
Batman
Detective - Great, really...people need to read this
Justice League
Superboy
Superman

I might be picking up GL, and DC Universe presents since deadman is on the cover. I'm very new to the idea of Deadman, but I really like how he works.

Jump to Forum: