Print Thread
Why no Doomsday movie?
suttie7
Can anyone explain why there is no sign of Doomsday being part of the Superman movie franchise. Rumour is any sequel to "The Man of Steel" is set up for Brainiac, whereas I think it would be awesome to finish "The Man of Steel" with Doomsday emerging from his craft to set up a sequel.
Would it be because the budget would be too huge to support Superman and Doomsday destroying Metropolis as they fight? Or is it just me and my friends that think it would be a good movie idea? Surely Superman dying midway through the movie while saving Metropolis/the world has the potential to be one of the greatest ever movie scenes if done right.
Would love to hear other peoples thoughts Smile
His name is Kal-El. He will call himself Clark Kent, but the world will know him as Superman.

copacetic
Doomsday's not that engaging a villain. He's just a brute force and that's it. He may be reserved for future sequels though.

AKalel
I agree but I think iot would be neat if they had Brainy create Doomsday with Lex's help. Heck it could be they were attempting to create their own version of Superman in which they could control and rather then your typical Bizarro being created a Doomsday is.

smallville92
doomsday is a more suited villain for the potential jla movie then a Superman sequel .

Humbleme

>suttie7 wrote:

Can anyone explain why there is no sign of Doomsday being part of the Superman movie franchise. Rumour is any sequel to "The Man of Steel" is set up for Brainiac, whereas I think it would be awesome to finish "The Man of Steel" with Doomsday emerging from his craft to set up a sequel.
Would it be because the budget would be too huge to support Superman and Doomsday destroying Metropolis as they fight? Or is it just me and my friends that think it would be a good movie idea? Surely Superman dying midway through the movie while saving Metropolis/the world has the potential to be one of the greatest ever movie scenes if done right.
Would love to hear other peoples thoughts Smile

The problem with Doomsday, is that there are several villains who can do the physical part of the job, and *also* bring an emotional or intellectual force to the plot that Doomsday can't bring without betraying what the character is about. Zod and Superman can (and probably will) destroy Metropolis as they fight, but the fight will be personal, which makes for a better story, rather than just a mindless monster wreaks havoc.

Also, because Doomsday is so one-note, he requires no set up. Brainiac can just pour him out of a vat, and that'll be it.
"Pride goeth before a fall..."

Project 86
would'nt doomsday just come across like abomination from the incredible hulk

Hypoxic
The prime factors that made the entire Death of Superman arc so good were the things that happened after Supe's death. It would be crucial to include those elements in order to recreate the story, but would be a difficult prospect to bring them onto the big screen.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Sven-El
Exactly. Plus you ahve to "build up" to something liek Doomsday.

Let me put it this way, prior to any annoucnemnts on who the villian would be for Man of Steel one of my buddies and I were discussing which villain they should use.

He said they should just use Darkseid. I argued that the problem with that yes, Darkseid can bring Supes to his knees, but he is so BIG you need the JLA. If you start Superman off with Darkseid any other villain afterwards would be lackluster. It would be like starting Batman off against Bane as a villain.
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE

AKalel
I was talking to soem friends about this a few days ago and we came up with a interesting point it seems to some degree the people who are working on todays comic book movies are either fans of the comics they are developing into film or have read some of the source material. Now with that I think if I was have a Superman Doomsday movie sure most of it could be limited to one movie but I would put bread crumbs in the previous movie sorta like they did the cameos of DOomsday before the Death of SUperman movie. Here is maybe a way I do it is have either as a during or after credits sequence have Clark/Superman hear about a earthquake somewhere far off so he goes to save the people but have the idea of even though the place is experiencing thing that emulate a earthquake CLark/Superman does not think to x ray to see if it is. ANyway we find out that the vibrations perhaps could of been caused by Doomsday in another area sorta close by trying to escape from the metal whatever like the comics. It can be sorta like the character in the last Hulk movie who fell in the lab and got a cut and in the lab it appears maybe gamma liquid fell into it and if they choose to do a folow up that character could become the leader. Just a thought.

Fruchtzwerg
I want Darkseid with his Parademons in a Superman Movie.
You will belive again

Hypoxic

>Fruchtzwerg wrote:

I want Darkseid with his Parademons in a Superman Movie.

For your loyalty, you will be spared. As for the rest of you...

[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8ga9rvaZ6O0/TlP7TknDmJI/AAAAAAAAEtk/joNdZAWpqwI/s1600/darkseid.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
_____

A6K
IMO the whole Death and Return is a played out concept in comics. If you started out with that it would have do be done VERY VERY VERY well. Remember that not every one is a hard core I want to see Doomsday on the silver screen Superman fan. The VAST majority of people are I want to see a good movie that makes me care about these characters. And using a played out concept in the beginning would just come off as a cheap ploy.
I think most movie goers would have a "here we go again" attitude from the beginning and after Green Lantern a visual spectacle of a comic book movie would just be a bad idea.
Make them care give them a story and then for a third movie end the trilogy with a Death story line and if still does well go for the return. Because number four will be hokey, and lets face it outside of comics that storyline is pretty hokey.

True Blue 211
in time wb and dc will give us a death of superman doomsday movie with a followup return of superman story it could be 1 movie and when they do it I would love to see it done strickly in cgi .

Hypoxic

>True Blue 211 wrote:

in time wb and dc will give us a death of superman doomsday movie with a followup return of superman story it could be 1 movie and when they do it I would love to see it done strickly in cgi .

So, you want an animated film. It's been done, and it's the only way I can see it working out successfully.
_____

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

>True Blue 211 wrote:

So, you want an animated film. It's been done, and it's the only way I can see it working out successfully.

I hated the animated film. It was rushed and missed the mark. I couldn't believe it when I watched it. I saw it once and don't care to see it again.

AKalel
I wouldn't say it was rushed I think the big problem with it was the powers that be thought the viewers/fans would not be able to tolerate a annimated comic book movie longer then 75 minutes and in that thinking they changed some details and deleted some of the comic story they did not think was vital. Now I cannot speak for others but I think if you are doing a comic book based movie annimated or live action chances are if you keep it under 75 minutes it will not be good. Sure alot of the DC annimated have been under 75 minutes but in my opinion I think they might be better if they were over 75 mins.

tblue211
I agree superman dying to save metropolis on screen in a movie would be a huge movie moment the biggest if done right.

tblue211

>Hypoxic wrote:

>True Blue 211 wrote:

okay you can't compare superman/doomsday the movie to what I am suggesting. take a look at the cgi scenes done in Green Lantern and superman returns. superman/doomsday was a weak attempt at giving us the fans a movie we have waited for. one of the big problems with superman returns and green lantern movies was the cgi didn't mesh well with the live action and was oviously cgi if it was don'e totally cgi from start to finish that problem would be taken care of.
the movie goers would be able to immerse themselves into the movie for it's entire screen time. and there is no reason an animated movie can't run longer then 80 or 90 mins.

supreme
After I saw the movie Beowulf that was done in all CGI, i thought to myself, why dont we get some comic book movies like this? Even if they are "direct to DVD" movies, they would still be enjoyable. Im not familiar with production costs, but wouldnt it be cheaper than paying top-dollar actors and destroying large cities? I know we have that Green Lantern CGI series, maybe thats just a start. Those characters look too goofy for my taste tho.
"Its not the end of the world, just your world" -Cyborg

Reign... Supreme

Hypoxic

>supreme wrote:

After I saw the movie Beowulf that was done in all CGI, i thought to myself, why dont we get some comic book movies like this? Even if they are "direct to DVD" movies, they would still be enjoyable. Im not familiar with production costs, but wouldnt it be cheaper than paying top-dollar actors and destroying large cities? I know we have that Green Lantern CGI series, maybe thats just a start. Those characters look too goofy for my taste tho.

Beowulf was actually motion capture, and cost $150,000,000 to make. Man of Steel is rumoured to have a budget of $175,000,000. So, I suppose it could be cheaper, depending on the movie and who is cast.
_____

Jump to Forum: