Print Thread
Green Lantern
Bizzar-o
Well, I've just finished watching Green Lantern & am pleasantly surprised!

It's actually a really good, solid film. Not superb but certainly not the car crash I was expecting.

So first then, the suit; Thankfully they've done a brilliant job of improving on the, quite frankly, terrible effort in the first trailer. The CGI works well & is a logical way to show it as it's created by the ring. The only thing that doesn't work is the mask but that's a small niggle. Overall though, a good effort.

Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan then. He actually plays him very well. I always saw Jordan as confident but never too cocky & while Reynolds does give his usual sass, it's, thankfully, not to often. He fills the character with enough humility to make him believeable.

Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond brings his unique brand of creepyness to the role, being the slimy unlikeable sort that we all are just desperate to see fail. And he gets to ham it up good too.

Mark Strong though as Sinestro is pitch perfect. Imbueing him with that honourable & tough GL all the while having the (for want of a better word) sinister just bubbling under the surface.

At no point in the film did I find any of the acting sub-standard or unbelieveable and the whole movie is well character driven while offering the perfect amount of action to get behind. It's unfortunately not going to be huge but it would be nice to see the obviously-set-up sequel just to see hoe they do it.

My only disappointments were that the other more famous members of the corps were not featured enough. Such as Kilowog & Tomar Re but hopefully, if the sequel does get made, we'll see more of them. And the lantern itself looks like a big green jello mould. It looks rediculous, nothing like the lantern from the comics/cartoons and the way they throw it sround, it seems like it has no weight whatsoever. This is only a small beef in an otehrwise top film.

A few liberties have been taken here & there with some aspects of the story but nothing major enough to ruin the film.

So to sum-up. Green Lantern; a good solid effort from DC with a few foibles but nothing a good, strong sequel couldn't iron out.

Go see it!

Bizz-o
Gosh Mr White that's terrible!

robert morrison
is it true that two sequels are planned for Green Lantern?

also, i loved Ryan Reynolds in two guys and a girl ( and a pizza place)

Is Ryan Reynolds more famous than his father Burt Reynolds?
"People are afraid of what they don't understand" - Jonathan Kent
[img]http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b496/RobzHere/pakent_zpsd2408dda.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Hypoxic
I watched it last night. I enjoyed it, and had a lot of fun.

I liked the story and think the liberties taken with the origin work well for the film.

The performances were good, with Sarsgaard and Strong stealing the show. Reynolds, to my relief, was good. It's obvious he took the character, the mythos, and the film seriously.

I wanted more of the other Lanterns, as well, but seeing as this is a Hal Jordan origin story, I understand them being limited. Just the same, the little we see of Tomar Re and Kilowog, the Guardians and Oa is great. There is great possibility for them to be seen more in a sequel, and the sequel set up is great. Stick around after the credits start rolling.

The constructs were great. Big, green, and humourous.

Unfortunately, the early reviews are scathing. Mindboggling considering Thor got really good reviews, and Thor was absolutely terrible.

Anyway, Green Lantern isn't great, but few comic book movies are. It is fun and worth watching. I will likely go see it again.

Edited by Hypoxic on 16/06/2011 20:50

Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

AKalel
I saw a special early screening of this movie and for the most part enjoyed it as well. My only 2 nitpicks were it was not mentioned to him that he had to charge his ring every 24 hours and for lack of a better term at times it seemed to drag. Now I should mention stay for the closing credits cause there is a extra scene which if you were paying attention whiler the movie showing you should be able to figure out part of it. Also should mention I saw the 3D version and thankfully at different times it was ok to take them off.

King Creole
Even though I would love this movie to succed at the box office, I got a feeling that it won't. It hasn't been out yet and people are already giving up on it. It seems that peolple would love to see this movie bomb at the box office for some reason. Maybe just jealous Marvel fan boys. But the negative rewiews won't help either.

Some say that it is not as good as Thor as if that was such a great film. Thor stinks. I was impress with the trailers, and when I finally saw it I wasn't impress with the final product. It seems as if it isn't a Marvel property, people won't even bother to give it a chance. It is a shame, really. Since GL has a lot of potential to built a solid franchise around it.

As soon as it come out where I live (and that is in August) I'll go out and see, and have repeating viewing if I like it.
You are here for a reason.

Bizzar-o
Watched it again this evening in 3D this time. Still holds up upon second viewing but just like everything else in the format, 3D blows!
Definitely recommend the 2D version as 3D does nothing for the film at all.
Gosh Mr White that's terrible!

Hypoxic
I'm going to watch Green Lantern again this week, probably in 3D - though 4D is also available - but I'm doubting the necessity of it.
_____

UCLGeogPhD
I really enjoyed this movie too. Much better than the reviews made it out to be in my honest opinion. Although I have to say also I felt that some of the 3d was pretty good. All the Oa and space scenes had some good 3d work, probably as they were fully cgi rendered thus conversion wasn't a post production element like the live action shots. I have to say it was utterly pointless for most the scenes based upon planet earth, especially office scenes...... But overall a solid fun little film.

superfan272727
I really liked thor,but i think ilike this one just as much if not better,i dont get all the negative reviews,i mean from critics i dont care ,but from fans? oh well itsto bad we wont get a sequel now,i really loved the movie,i dont see anything wrong with it,but its just my opinion

Steve Younis
Green Lantern WILL be getting a sequel. It was announced the other day.
Steve Younis
=================================
Superman Homepage - http://www.Superm...mepage.com
Christopher Reeve Homepage - http://www.ChrisR...epage.com/
Steve's Stuff - http://www.younis...
=================================
Look! Up in the Sky!

AKalel
i think all comic book movcies unofficially start developing at least one sequel while working on the first movie cause even if a movie tanks here there is overseas markets. i think the only recent ones that are not doing that are most of the marvel cause they are coming together for the avengers movie.

Hypoxic
I was in South Korea during Green Lantern's entire theatrical run there: just under two weeks. The studio spent a lot of effort advertising the film, mostly because Koreans mostly had no idea what a Green Lantern was, and because Korea is a huge movie-going market. It ultimately failed. The international market isn't always a sure bet for a sequel.

I am betting now that GL 2 will be in Korean theatres for less than two weeks. It's a shame because GL really is a fun film.
_____

King Creole
I finally got to see Green Lantern last night with my wife. Unlike the states, here it opened teo days ago. I must admit I went with real low expectations thanks to the critics and the bad word-of-mouth it has received.

First of all I must say that my wife enjoy it a lot. She was actually surprised. On our way home we couldn't stop talking about how good it was. I must say that the movie really exceeded my expectations. I hope a sequel is in the works 'cause I'm definitely looking forward to one.

I really don't know why the media killed this movie before it even came out. That demostrate the power of the media (in this case the critics) has over the the public. Some friends of mine won't even go to see it because of that.

The movie is far from perfect, but it is not as horrible as the critics want to make us beleive. I'm glad it is not as bad as Thor, which for my surprise, performed better than GL. And it as nearly as good as Captain America imo. Their is lots of room for improvements. There are some cheesy scenes and some of them go to fast.

Overall, a very enjoyable film. I saw it in 3d and it was not bad really worth the extra cash. Of the three superheroes film I saw in that format this summer (Thor, Captain America, Green Lantern) this was the best one i nthat format.

I'll give it 4.5 out of 5
Captain America 5/5
Thor -1/5 If that is possible.
You are here for a reason.

AKalel
I think the critics panned it because not enough of them are probably not familar enough with the character and even those that weer not consider him at the same level as Batman, Superman, X Men, Thor, etc. As for a sequel in the works I do not think any movie starts work on a first film with at least possibble sequel or prequel films in mind especially a comic book inspired movie or one inspired by a tv series or series of books.

Jump to Forum: