Superman Homepage » Television » Smallville
 Print Thread
Was the "Traditional Superman Suit" Necessary For Smallville?
jpharrah
Here is the question was what we all know and think of as the superman suit traditional... cape blue tights red undies s shield....( just for the basics)

To me it seems Welling for what ever reason simply didnt want to wear tights what so ever, (why take a superman job is beyond me but thats another argument)....

Smallville never went with tradition in the sense of super hero costumes, everything was bascially a leather jacket modified to look like a super hero costume, examples, the JLA episode, the JSA episode, Green Arrow etc.

Season 10 they introduced clarks new "blur" outfit red leather jacket witht he S logo placed in the center and blue shirt and blue jeans.... It looked very smallville super hero like right???

If i were to picture smallville recreating the superman outfit that would be how id say it would turn out....

so do you think that maybe the need for the traditional suit at the end, sort of stop a season that potentially could have been all about superman arriving to the city and being there for everyone to see as when the new outfit was exposed to the world, could clark have learned to fly early on in this season?? I think the answer is yes this season could have been one full superman season it didnt need last years basic plot of him not believing in himself all over again this season....

if smallville would have just said.... ok we created this leather jacket suit... this is how OUR superman will look for our version..i would have been completely 100% ok with that, if it meant one full season of pure superman goodness..flying and what not.....

so what do you think... was the tradtional suit absolutely needed or do you think it sort of held back a season that could have really been all about superman?

BM
As cool as it would have been to see Superman earlier in the season, the show is "Smallville" and was never supposed to be about Superman. Tom Welling didn't take a Superman job, he took a Clark Kent job. Having Superman at the very end was the way to go for the premise of this show, and Superman is way too iconic to have anything other than the traditional suit. I'm with the camp that thinks Tom would have looked goofy in the Superman suit (the one shot where he was kind of in the suit looked a little goofy) so it's probably better we didn't see extended shots of him as Superman. It would have had to have been a CGI-fest if Superman showed up earlier. I definitely wouldn't want a Superman in that red leather jacket get up. I don't really follow the other superheros (never even heard of Green Arrow until this show) so I didn't care so much about their costumes.

Supereyes
In a way the Superman Returns suit is traditional but still updated, for Smallville it's okay though.

But were you thinking he should have been given a Nick Cage Superman Lives costume?

Superman's "S" should appear bigger and be in three-dimensional shape, not just painted on the suit.

You can't change a classic. Superman has to keep the undies, say, it wasn't intentional, they were just briefs that gradually turned into underwear. You can't add any extras on Superman's costume either, Superman doesn't wear a mask, and any other material could ruin the costume.

For cryin' out loud.
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/Supereyes/clois.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

~I look upon my powers as a gift...Not mine alone, but for anyone who needs them~
Superman: Peace on Earth

Click Here to see my Super Fan Art!:
http://groups.msn...lery2.msnw

Lex Vader
Smallville wasn't a traditional story, so no. This Clark had no reason to wear the costume. Literally. He knew nothing of his heritage. Jonathan didn't dream the symbol. And Martha made it for absolutely no reason. Jor-El didn't tell him to do it. And it wasn't Clark's idea. It was completely arbitrary. Would you wear a costume your mom made you for the rest of your life? Even the colors, to Clark, had no meaning.

hordakalpha

>BM wrote:

As cool as it would have been to see Superman earlier in the season, the show is "Smallville" and was never supposed to be about Superman. Tom Welling didn't take a Superman job, he took a Clark Kent job.

Superman IS Clark Kent. Clark Kent IS Superman. I honestly am never going to understand how some fans refer to Clark Kent and Superman as two different people. Smallville was ALWAYS about Superman in the fact that it is about the same person, Clark Kent, BEFORE he came out to the public as the superhero Superman.

And, even though the red leather jacket looks cool, it ISN'T the Superman suit. I thought the route that was paved in the finale was a good one, even though the Superman suit in action(of what we saw of it) was obviously CGI. Could've done with a full body shot of Welling wearing it though.
(Hordak Alpha))
[img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3131/smallvillesig2011.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Lex Vader
If you don't understand how Clark Kent is not Superman, then you didn't watch Smallville for ten years.

Supereyes
This followed the CR Superman movies all along. Why would they use the traditional suit anyways, when they had that all planned?

Martha just probably thought that Clark needed to stop hiding in the darkness and had to step into the light and be a bright symbol of hope, so she makes the almost the same trench coat suit Clark wore, just in Clark's original colors as the Red Blue Blur. The cape and the "S" are part of his Kryptonian heritage. It seems Martha knew that.

The new movie can't change the costume to make Superman more "relevant" it's just Superman's physical attitude that needs change, we need to see him kick more ass, and ot just fly around. And he needs more speeches.
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/Supereyes/clois.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

~I look upon my powers as a gift...Not mine alone, but for anyone who needs them~
Superman: Peace on Earth

Click Here to see my Super Fan Art!:
http://groups.msn...lery2.msnw

BM
Superman IS Clark Kent. Clark Kent IS Superman. I honestly am never going to understand how some fans refer to Clark Kent and Superman as two different people. Smallville was ALWAYS about Superman in the fact that it is about the same person, Clark Kent, BEFORE he came out to the public as the superhero Superman.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows Clark and Superman are the same person, but the premise of the show was to only show the Clark character, before he became the Superman persona that everyone knows. The creators of the show blurred those lines when they decided to bring in all the characters from the "Superman" years, especially the other superheros and the villains. But this was supposed to be all about the pre-Superman as we know him persona. Tom Welling signed on to portray the role of Clark Kent and what happens during that period of his life, not to dress up in the Superman costume and fly around.

GreatestCriminalMind
I see certain people are spouting drivel again.

The suit is an integral part of Superman. It is iconic. It's not like Batman. With Batman the core of the character is darkness. SO the suit is adaptable, as long as you keep key feature such as the bat symbol, the ears & cowl, the gloves and the utility belt. But Superman is different. He is an icon and his suit symbolises hope, morality and the power to better ourselves. It has to be distinctive, it has to inspire and tha fact is that the traditional suit has become so ingrained in people's minds all over the world that you don't quite have Superman without it. I wanted to vomit when I saw the Nic Cage version and, on reflection, no cape "S" or not I think we were very lucky with what we got for SR.

Seperately, with this whole "it's a Clark show" stuff, that's just such utter nonsense. It's the same damned character. Same flesh and blood. Kal-El from Krypton. It's absurd to suggest that someone could take a Clark Kent acting job and not expect to have to play Superman at some point.

Lois

>GreatestCriminalMind wrote:

I see certain people are spouting drivel again.

The suit is an integral part of Superman. It is iconic. It's not like Batman. With Batman the core of the character is darkness. SO the suit is adaptable, as long as you keep key feature such as the bat symbol, the ears & cowl, the gloves and the utility belt. But Superman is different. He is an icon and his suit symbolises hope, morality and the power to better ourselves. It has to be distinctive, it has to inspire and tha fact is that the traditional suit has become so ingrained in people's minds all over the world that you don't quite have Superman without it. I wanted to vomit when I saw the Nic Cage version and, on reflection, no cape "S" or not I think we were very lucky with what we got for SR.

Seperately, with this whole "it's a Clark show" stuff, that's just such utter nonsense. It's the same damned character. Same flesh and blood. Kal-El from Krypton. It's absurd to suggest that someone could take a Clark Kent acting job and not expect to have to play Superman at some point.

Good points. Smile

I've watched some of the Smallville episodes. The show wasn't about Clark Kent. It was about Clark aka Kal-El discovering his roots and his training to become Superman. It's not a Clark Kent show. Clark is Kal-El Kal-El is Clark Clark is Superman Superman is Clark. Wink Knew that from the first season.

I did like the final episode. Very nice touch with the producers using the music from the Chris Reeve Superman films. The scene where Clark saw the suit he was to wear as Superman was fun to watch. I taped that episode so I could watch it again. I also agree it would have been nice to see Welling in the suit.

Edited by Lois on 23/05/2011 14:41

Read my mind

Lois

>Lex Vader wrote:

If you don't understand how Clark Kent is not Superman, then you didn't watch Smallville for ten years.

Shock Clark Kent IS Superman. In the episodes he found out about his heritage that he was from Krypton and the son of Jor-El and his training to become Superman. Very clear to me in the episodes, especially in the finale. Wink

Edited by Lois on 23/05/2011 14:39

Read my mind

Lois

>Supereyes wrote:

In a way the Superman Returns suit is traditional but still updated, for Smallville it's okay though.

But were you thinking he should have been given a Nick Cage Superman Lives costume?

Superman's "S" should appear bigger and be in three-dimensional shape, not just painted on the suit.

You can't change a classic. Superman has to keep the undies, say, it wasn't intentional, they were just briefs that gradually turned into underwear. You can't add any extras on Superman's costume either, Superman doesn't wear a mask, and any other material could ruin the costume.

For cryin' out loud.

Yes, you can't change a classic. Nick Cage Superman costume! Shock I'm so glad that never materialized in a movie. The SR suit was traditional, but, for me was too dark. I like the brighter colors in the Chris Reeve films. Also, it was nice to hear homage to the Chris Reeve films in the Smallville finale.
Read my mind

Kal-El85
I thought they should and would take a few liberties in updating the classic look of the suit. Specifically, I thought they would eliminate the very much dated and silly looking Red Underwear look.

I was dissapointed to see no such vision. Perhaps if they did, Tom wouldn't be so scared to wear the suit. It's hard to be taken seriously when you're wearing an outfit that simulates the look of underwear or briefs over your pants.

NeoRanger
Honestly, if "Smallville" had any sense of dignity according to the sensationalistic crap they spewed to divert our attention from its shortcomings, they wouldn't have used the costume at all. Or the crystal fortress. Or the AI Jor-El. Or the Williams theme. They would've changed from the coat to the jacket and stick with it, realising their so-called "new, original, separate" origin.

So, no, the traditional suit wasn't necessary for Smallville after all these years. But that would mean it actually had a sense of direction, so here you go.

Steve Wright
that's just such utter nonsense. It's the same damned character. Same flesh and blood. Kal-El from Krypton. It's absurd to suggest that someone could take a Clark Kent acting job and not expect to have to play Superman at some point

Really? Nonsense? Did you know who you were at 15? Are the the same person as you were when you were 15 years old? I'm guessing you're not. Tom did NOT sign on to play an adult version of Clark Kent. The length of the show just got them to that point. If it ended when they originally thought then he would have been only a Freshman in College. I don't know many freshmen who were exactly as they are at 33 or so.

To say that Tom was playing an Adult version of Clark Kent at 14 (which was the age he signed on to play regardless of how much he didn't look 14) is utter nonsense (which is what you are suggesting by saying it's the same character. At that point it's not the same character). Oh and Tom did not sign on to play Superman "at some point". The show was always going to end with the shirt rip or a brief glance. Again..if the show doesn't go on for 5 extra years this is a debate we aren't having.

Hypoxic

>Supereyes wrote:

This followed the CR Superman movies all along.

Say what?
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

BM
Oh and Tom did not sign on to play Superman "at some point". The show was always going to end with the shirt rip or a brief glance. Again..if the show doesn't go on for 5 extra years this is a debate we aren't having.

Thank you. Clark Kent was not always Superman from the beginning. He was always Kal-El, but "Superman" didn't exist until Clark became an adult and donned the suit and was given that name by the public. All things that were supposed to happen post-Smallville.

smallville92
the superman suit was very necessary to use because Clark becomes superman in the future .

Jump to Forum: