Superman Homepage » Television » Smallville
 Print Thread
SMALLVILLE SEASON 10 FINALE
NeoRanger
I've never understood people knocking on actors for the dialogue they speak

I'm not knocking her for the dialogue, I'm knocking the logic that said dialogue had any prayer in allowing the actress to actually define the character. What I *am* knocking Durance for is her delivery, which -as I already said- was average at best.

So, NeoRanger, I felt that comment to be unfair to Erica Durance. She, as Lois Lane really grew on me over the years, and her acting improved extraordinarily throughout the series.

I'm sure she's crying on her pile of money over my unfair comments.

Her acting did improve; I'll be the first to admit that. I wanted her booted off the show when she came on-board and she managed to become tolerable.

Be that as it may, the issue isn't whether Durance is a capable actress or not. It's the idea that she is definitive in this part, in this character, Lois Lane and worse yet, that she is one that will have to be surpassed.

Supereyes
I think with what little we had of Lex, I still liked his two scenes. Makes me wonder, when their new goal was to wrap his character up in season 7, with Lex learning Clark's secret, they suddenly wipe his memories in this final episode, three years later. Imagine though, if Lex stayed on, or if he had just learned Clark's secret in this episode, then it would have ended that way, making me happier.

Lex added a little twist to this finale, but if this finale had been more about Clark and Lex's final moments together as a friendship, because Lex is giving Clark advise on how to defeat Darkseid, so Lex can become the planet's destroyer and kill Clark/Superman.

Even if they were going to show aa CGI Superman in the distance, I wish they would have showed Lex looking at Superman in the sky in a hated look.

I was disapointed and satisified. I'll leave at that for now.

I think I'll go watch season 1 again. "Hourglass" and "Jitters" have some good Clex moments, what I missed most about this show was the drama, I was so into it. The first season finale, "Tempest" was real nice.

It's hard to believe it's over. I'm in a bit shock. I still keep checking the spoilers at Kryptonsite.
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/Supereyes/clois.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

~I look upon my powers as a gift...Not mine alone, but for anyone who needs them~
Superman: Peace on Earth

Click Here to see my Super Fan Art!:
http://groups.msn...lery2.msnw

JR1989

>Supereyes wrote:

It's hard to believe it's over. I'm in a bit shock. I still keep checking the spoilers at Kryptonsite.

season 11 episode 1 "Denial"
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"

Lex Vader
Still looking forward to the spinoff where Lex and Conner are roommates, and their nextdoor neighbor is John Jones, who always comes over to eat their Oreos.

Johnjones
What I *am* knocking Durance for is her delivery, which -as I already said- was average at best.

Considering there is only a minimal amount of ways to say lines like: "I mean, is it just me, or is this relationship all interruptus and no coitus?" without making your character dreadful to the entire audience, I'd say she made an achievement. She arguably had the worst dialogue in the show's history, and is still considered a beloved aspect of the series. Even Neal Bailey wrote that she was the most well rounded character on the show looking back in retrospect. I mean her entire database of dialogue was nothing but endless quips using pop culture references. Not being hated for that had little to do with her overall character arc I dare say, mostly with how Durance portrayed the character. The fact that she could spew lines like the one above consistently for 6 years, and not be loathed like Lana Lang (or worse), really says something about the actress in question.

I'm sure she's crying on her pile of money over my unfair comments.

My comment wasn't to enlighten you on Erica Durance's opinion about your rudeness, but my own. I find it boorish to dismiss someone you likely have never met, and undoubtedly don't know so quickly. It's the same for those that call Tom Welling a block of wood. For him, it's like anyone else. It's nearly impossible to play wholesome old fashioned American good guy with a straight face, or any kind of enthusiasm. Nobody has done so very convincingly except for nearly everyone's favorite Superman actor, Christopher Reeve. However, I digress from the topics being discussed. Considering she was the only main cast female to not be hated by nearly the entire viewership, at some point or another, means a lot for this show, and Erica Durance's Lois was never hated by the majority of the fans.

Be that as it may, the issue isn't whether Durance is a capable actress or not. It's the idea that she is definitive in this part, in this character, Lois Lane and worse yet, that she is one that will have to be surpassed.

Other than Teri Hatcher, who was leaps and bounds better than Durance in the role? Noel Neill is a sweet lady, but watching old Adventures of Superman has never done anything for the Lois Lane character for me (at least not more so than the comics they took from at the time).

Margot Kidder was fun in the role, but I thought she was horribly miscast to Reeve's Superman. Her banter with Clark was nice though.

Teri Hatcher did define the role for me, and is the only redeemable thing about L & C (and maybe Cain's Clark Kent.... not at all his Superman). She made her more into a character, and less of caricature of a damsel in distress, like she was so famous for in the comics.

Kate Bosworth was just miscast on every level, and the way she acted in the film was almost as if the actress thought so too. Her character was basically a rebel without a cause (at the danger of nearly everyone she cared for), and had no relation to the comics counterpart, or Kidder's Lois Lane. Very odd indeed.

Erica Durance just played a loveable character all around. She wasn't as much fun early on, but she evolved and progressed arguably the most of any character in the series. Rather she defined the character for you personally or not is your own deal, but to imply there is nothing above mediocre level about his version of Lois Lane is a bit absurd in my humble opinion. Take care.

Edited by Johnjones on 18/05/2011 22:09

"Future events such as these, will effect you in the future."

-Plan 9 From Outer Space-

Lex Vader
I haven't really seen a better Lois Lane... but that's not saying much. She didn't really scream "serious journalist" to me. She was half wacky comic relief and half damsel in distress. That's great for a TV show... but it's not a character. It was just the silver age character updated for the 21st century. As for the acting... Durance is clearly not going to be someone too many people follow relentlessly throughout her career. So... same as most TV actors, really. And most Lois Lanes.

Kal-El23
In my opinion, Erica Durance comes out at number two of the greatest actresses to portray Lois Lane in just behind Kidder and just ahead of Teri Hatcher. Some of you may ask why Kidder is first and also why Hatcher is third on my list. Well, Margot Kidder played Lois Lane the way Lois Lane was written....and not for the scripts of the films, but instead the comics. I love the way that she dismissed Clark Kent and was all over herself for Superman. Hatcher is third to me, because she seemed to get herself in more trouble than any other Lois in recent memory and to me, a Superman show can't always be about Superman saving Lois Lane. Durance is 2nd to me, because she's pretty much a hybrid between Kidder and Hatcher. She had charm, grace, beauty, and it was evident that she'd go to Hell and back to protect Clarks identity.
I Know My Destiny

NeoRanger

>Johnjones wrote:

Considering there is only a minimal amount of ways to say lines like: "I mean, is it just me, or is this relationship all interruptus and no coitus?" without making your character dreadful to the entire audience, I'd say she made an achievement. She arguably had the worst dialogue in the show's history, and is still considered a beloved aspect of the series. Even Neal Bailey wrote that she was the most well rounded character on the show looking back in retrospect. I mean her entire database of dialogue was nothing but endless quips using pop culture references. Not being hated for that had little to do with her overall character arc I dare say, mostly with how Durance portrayed the character. The fact that she could spew lines like the one above consistently for 6 years, and not be loathed like Lana Lang (or worse), really says something about the actress in question.

It says nothing. Lois was a more likeable character than Lana. It helped that Clark didn't pine over her the same way he did Lana. Horrible material or not, good actors can overcome it to the point that they are at least fun. Durance was not fun for me. At all.

My comment wasn't to enlighten you on Erica Durance's opinion about your rudeness, but my own. I find it boorish to dismiss someone you likely have never met, and undoubtedly don't know so quickly. It's the same for those that call Tom Welling a block of wood.

Are you serious? I am criticising their work. You know, that thing they put out for me to see? I'm well within my rights to do so and judge based on that. Also, rudeness to whom? Are you Erica Durance? Where do you get off being offended from my comments (which are directed toward HER work, I remind you) and defending her?

Other than Terry Hatcher, who was leaps and bounds better than Durance in the role? Noel Neill is a sweet lady, but watching old Adventures of Superman has never done anything for the Lois Lane character for me (at least not more so than the comics they took from at the time).

Margot Kidder was fun in the role, but I thought she was horribly miscast to Reeve's Superman. Her banter with Clark was nice though.

Terry Hatcher did define the role for me, and is the only redeemable thing about L & C (and maybe Cain's Clark Kent.... not at all his Superman). She made her more into a character, and less of caricature of a damsel in distress, like she was so famous for in the comics.

Kate Bosworth was just miscast on every level, and the way she acted in the film was almost as if the actress thought so too. Her character was basically a rebel without a cause (at the danger of nearly everyone she cared for), and had no relation to the comics counterpart, or Kidder's Lois Lane. Very odd indeed.

Phyllis Coates. Look her up. Dana Delaney's voice was a better Lois Lane than Erica Durance.

Erica Durance just played a loveable character all around

Annoying, is what comes to my mind. More tolerable than Lana? Sure. But completely annoying nonetheless. Chloe had the same archetypical personality when the show started and Alison pulled it off better.

Dav El
Just in with another point that some notice is that the show really played to the real personality. Who is the Superhero? Clark was the main persona of the show and as human is faulted. My thought is he needed to put the costume on to be Superman, unlike Batman for example. Batman played Bruce Wayne, and Bruce was the costume. Dominant personality, Superman/Clark, Clark is the one, and Batman/Bruce, Batman is the one. We all differ and when are alone you have to ask, who am I? Am I someone else with others or someone else when alone? What mask do we wear? I think that is what drives all of the different opinions on this site and else where of how much we all like or dislike the show. We want it to please the vison in our minds eye. Who is it we want to see as the dominant persona? Really when it come to it for me, it was Clark. That is why I am please with the series. Being Good is Hard, Being bad is easy, you get to choose!
Dav El

JR1989
about lex luthor as president in 2018

I know elections are 2016/2020, but if the president and vice president both resigned wouldn't there be an election?
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"

Johnjones
Durance was not fun for me. At all.

Sorry you feel that way, I can't do anything for you except point out that you're feelings are in the minority of people that watched the show.

Are you serious? I am criticising their work. You know, that thing they put out for me to see? I'm well within my rights to do so and judge based on that. Also, rudeness to whom? Are you Erica Durance? Where do you get off being offended from my comments (which are directed toward HER work, I remind you) and defending her?

I never said you didn't have a right to critique her work, but there is a clear difference in saying: "I don't like something and this is why" as opposed to, "She is a below-average actress that kept spewing horrible dialogue..." That's just being overly rude in my opinion. There's no need to be so brash, you can make a point without hitting blatantly below the belt. Although, to be fair, I have seen worse out of other members. Anyway, without getting into a heated battle over tact and whatnot, if you have some entitlement to critique then I can certainly defend, aye? Have a wonderful day, and let's just agree to disagree. However, I still say your feelings about the character and actress are in the minority of those who watched the show.
"Future events such as these, will effect you in the future."

-Plan 9 From Outer Space-

NeoRanger
John, I don't have a problem with bias, as long as it's recognised for what it is.

I can't do anything for you except point out that you're feelings are in the minority of people that watched the show.

How is that doing anything for me, outside of insinuating that if (and I say, IF) I'm in the minority I may be wrong and should reconsider?

I never said you didn't have a right to critique her work, but there is a clear difference in saying: "I don't like something and this is why" as opposed to, "She is a below-average actress that kept spewing horrible dialogue..."

There is absolutely no difference. The phrasing is different, but the sentiment remains the same. My opinion of her as an actress is that she's below average and her job in the show was spewing the horrible dialogue they handed her all the time. What, if I'd phrased it in a kinder way something would change? I'd be a better hypocrite certainly. Don't forget, the woman isn't here. I'm not saying this to her face. I'm stating an opinion with the words I find appropriate to color my feelings toward the matter at hand.

In any case, I don't like conversational loops any more than you do, so we agree to disagree certainly. Even if I am in the minority.

Zod Lombard

>JR1989 wrote:

about lex luthor as president in 2018

I know elections are 2016/2020, but if the president and vice president both resigned wouldn't there be an election?

Nope. Elections are still held every fourth year.

There's a succession plan set up in case something happens to the President and/or Vice President.

http://en.wikiped...nstitution

So either the writers were trying to be "cute" or they are just plain dumb and lazy. I will go with dumb and lazy.
Superman vs. Darkseid
http://www.youtub...zFsxSH8fUA

Zod Lombard

>Kal-El23 wrote:

In my opinion, Erica Durance comes out at number two of the greatest actresses to portray Lois Lane in just behind Kidder and just ahead of Teri Hatcher. Some of you may ask why Kidder is first and also why Hatcher is third on my list. Well, Margot Kidder played Lois Lane the way Lois Lane was written....and not for the scripts of the films, but instead the comics. I love the way that she dismissed Clark Kent and was all over herself for Superman. Hatcher is third to me, because she seemed to get herself in more trouble than any other Lois in recent memory and to me, a Superman show can't always be about Superman saving Lois Lane. Durance is 2nd to me, because she's pretty much a hybrid between Kidder and Hatcher. She had charm, grace, beauty, and it was evident that she'd go to Hell and back to protect Clarks identity.

I'd rank the Lois Lanes this way:
1. Dana Delany (Superman: The Animated Series)
2. Margot Kidder (Superman film series)
3. Teri Hatcher (Lois and Clark)
4. Erica Durance (Smallville)
5. Noel Neill (The Adventures of Superman)
6. Amy Adams (Superman: The Man of Steel)
7. Kate Bosworth (Superman Returns)

Hatcher gets the nod over Durance due to having a natural rack.
Superman vs. Darkseid
http://www.youtub...zFsxSH8fUA

kalel170
I finally got to watch the series finale. Clark flew, wore the suit, other then that, kinda of disappointed. IMO there were some good parts.

1. The return of Lex and Micheal Rossumbam(dont know if I spelled that right).
2. Clark saving the world.
3. Finally flying and becoming Supes.
4. The flashbacks.
5. John Snyder being back for the finale was good.

Ummmmmmmmm, yeah thats all I can think of.

Some let downs in the finale

1. WHY DOES THERE ALWAYS HAVE TO BE AN AIPLANE SCENE? Can someone explain that to me?

2. Green Arrow taking out the three stooges with one shot. Why didn't he think of that months ago?

3. The fight scene between Clark and Darkseid was worst then the doomsday fight.

4. The comic reading with Chloe. Is that the only part you can give someone who has had a major role in the series since the beginning?

5. The flying pose clark had when he got tossed by doomsday, I thought that was a little cheesy looking.

I guess I was hoping a bigger bang to go out on since it was the series finale, but like a most of the season, kinda of disappointing.

Kal-El23

Hatcher gets the nod over Durance due to having a natural rack.[/quote]

I will never ever put Kate Bosworth on any top ten list for Lois....maybe except for the worst. No disrespect meant to you, and I didn't outright hate 'Superman Returns', but she was terribly miscast. I didn't mention Dana Delany due to the fact that I was referring to live action portrayals, but I did love her Lois. I can't judge on Amy Adams until we actually see her in the role.
I Know My Destiny

JR1989

>zod lombard wrote:

If you want to vote for your favorite Lois lane there's a "best Lois lane" thread in the superman movies forum also, there's a "best Clark Kent" thread too.Smile

If you're not going to judge Amy Adams until after you've seen man of steel then why do you have her (6th) on your list?

DeFlip Side
The Smallville finale--like the series as a whole--had tremendous strengths and weaknesses. Please read/listen to my review and let me know what you think! http://deflipside...

Kal-El23

>JR1989 wrote:

>zod lombard wrote:

If you want to vote for your favorite Lois lane there's a "best Lois lane" thread in the superman movies forum also, there's a "best Clark Kent" thread too.Smile

If you're not going to judge Amy Adams until after you've seen man of steel then why do you have her (6th) on your list?

I was using Zod Lombards quote. Amy Adams isn't on any list of mine....yet. Hopefully, though, she'll be able to unseat one of those previous actresses.
I Know My Destiny

JR1989
Amy Adams isn't on any list of mine....yet. Hopefully, though, she'll be able to unseat one of those previous actresses.[/quote]

Amy Adams is a great actress.

Back to the finale

When superman went to the plane window to see Lois was that tom welling approaching the window or was it tom's double/stunt man?

Jump to Forum: