Superman Homepage » Television » Smallville
 Print Thread
SMALLVILLE SEASON 10 FINALE
univofmiami

>ByteCrawler wrote:

I'm far from a hater, having watched every episode from the beginning, enjoying much of it and always hoping it would become something better. To me the entire finale seemed to be almost embarrassed about the fact that they had to explicitly include Superman and not just continue to use the mythos as a background to their melodrama. Any action involving his powers was quick and from a distance. They had hours for turgid dialog and laborious flashbacks but seconds for the action shots.

As far as the suit goes, I'm sure that if they wanted Welling in the suit, they could have paid him enough to wear it, but I expect the last thing the studio execs wanted was an iconic shot of Tom Welling as Superman when they are planning on introducing Henry Cavill in the next movie.
Exactly (imho) if there were no Superman Snider movie project in progress, They would have let Tom wear the suit in full glory/close up. WB did intervene with the series finale.

Edited by univofmiami on 14/05/2011 23:55

Lex Vader
If anyone wants my opinion in the middle of this thread, I don't think the producers felt it was worth it to make a Superman costume, try to make Tom look good it in (good luck, fatty), try to make the suit look better than the one that cost millions and millions of dollars, and all for a few seconds of screen time knowing that all the action would have to be CGI anyway. Considering every other costume made for this show was used for a full episode, not a few seconds, I think you can agree that what they ended up doing was pretty damn sensible.

tnekkralc
good luck, fatty

LOL! Yeh he definitely looked less cut as the series went didn't he lol

superking
sheeez looks like im the last to see it, great ending and i really liked the shot of clark facing lois in the air outside the plane...epic...also floating in space...GOLD....alot of ripoff for me especially the plane scen and pushin the planet out to space...but i dont care ive long since made my peace with smallville drama/spin...the lois /clark are what make it for me always have for the last seasons anyway.

I would like most liked to have seen clark hovering above the people for thier marks to vanish..still we seen him fly and his take off from the fortress while changing midflight was pretty fracken awesome.

Mize El
I watched the commercial fest of a finale we had last night and initially did not like it because of all the interruptions, it felt like because of that there wasn't a good flow. That being said I just watched it again on iTunes and it was much better, it actually flowed well and kept it's momentum. I think that is what hurt it last night on network television for lots of people every time it picked up any kind of momentum and got some good continuity going it would be interrupted by a commercial break which killed everything it had just built up. Though I was not pleased with all the cgi Superman shots and not seeing TW in full Superman garb I am pleased with how it ended. I am thankful to have been able to enjoy a Superman story on television for a full 10 years.
You will see my life through your eyes as your life will seen through mine. The son becomes the father, and the father the son.

datalore
was great. i just watched it again(4th time) the first part they had to do, just like with anakin and padma in episode 2 rolling around on Naboo, got that out of the way. then as soon as lex opened his eyes BOOM the show went off,from that point on i was on they edge of my seat. the lex/clark scene was one of their best scenes,seeing the sign say Lx corp was killer. have ashmore back was a nice touch (great ceasars ghost). could go on but ........... thanks for 10 great years ( i forgive you for "THIRST"
ENGAGE

superfan77
Thank you for the 10 year ride. I've enjoyed every minite. I wish all the best to the cast and crew. You all have kept Clark/Superman alive, in everyones minds and hearts.
Remember, Clark Kent is Superman not Superman is Clark Kent.

Until we meet again, old friends.
Kent C

Dav El
This was one of the Greatest Series ever.

-It aired on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, well I think each day of the week, and still won viewers and its time slot. I don't know any other show personally that has done that!

-The numbers of guest stars was amazing.

-The music always top billboard.

-Nostalgic to All worlds of Superman. That was the shows underlying trait, it allowed Humility.

-Stood to that quote, "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely"

-The above quote really puzzles a cynic.

-The finally came full circle, as much as we want to forget the past and only take from it the good, it really can't be done in total. Just take from it the good and feed it, like the episode Skinwalker. Yes we will feed the bad at times, no one is perfect, wasn't that a major theme the writers wanted to show and did. The battle is always there, two wolves, one good and one bad, forever in a battle, who wins is determined by the one you choose to feed!

-Being Good is Hard, Being bad is easy!

Shazam!
Dav El

NeoRanger

>Makeshift Python wrote:

OOPS...

I totally forgot of the finale and missed it. I intended to check it out but was too busy watching Buffy on Netflix. So is it true that Clark dies and the funeral reveals his name was actually Jonathan Clark Kent and that he has a little brother named Clark?

Wink

Grrrr... Okay Python. You win this one.

But the next thread is MINE!

tnekkralc

>Lex Vader wrote:

If anyone wants my opinion in the middle of this thread, I don't think the producers felt it was worth it to make a Superman costume, try to make Tom look good it in (good luck, fatty), try to make the suit look better than the one that cost millions and millions of dollars, and all for a few seconds of screen time knowing that all the action would have to be CGI anyway. Considering every other costume made for this show was used for a full episode, not a few seconds, I think you can agree that what they ended up doing was pretty damn sensible.

Yeh good point, they actually could have sunk so much of the budget to get the rights to use the JW music. It may have been a toss up between a suit for Tom or the iconic Superman Theme.

iordanis_p
I did not like the series I also thought it went too far.

Although I thought that the last episode in terms of the direction it took was the right one in considering the superman mythos. What a disappointment for the suit very poor 3d animation note one single shot of Tom’s head and body with the suit.

I do not understand which fan of superman with his her right mind would like this chip finale. Since the series went for 10!!! Years it owed to the fans a clear image of superman at list ONE!

Shame.

Tell me what you think of this
Jordan

newyorkfonzie
Guys, I don't know if anybody realized this but this is the first superman show in history that has had a proper ending. The George Reeve's show, Lois and Clark, Superboy(1988-1992) all cancelled in their prime. Despite my personal feelinga bout how the show ended, we need to understand that every generation has a vision of superman and their interpretation of who was the best superman, who was their ideal superman etc. Unfortunately for most of us we all have a different opinion of who was the best and how thing sshould be done, this is why this thread has grown to such a large size.

Let's Embrace this positive ending to the show and try to embark forward into what we all hopefully will be a bright future both short and long term in film as a new chapter is written for a movie and other animated adventures come our way in the future.

tnekkralc

>newyorkfonzie wrote:

Guys, I don't know if anybody realized this but this is the first superman show in history that has had a proper ending. The George Reeve's show, Lois and Clark, Superboy(1988-1992) all cancelled in their prime. Despite my personal feelinga bout how the show ended, we need to understand that every generation has a vision of superman and their interpretation of who was the best superman, who was their ideal superman etc. Unfortunately for most of us we all have a different opinion of who was the best and how thing sshould be done, this is why this thread has grown to such a large size.

Let's Embrace this positive ending to the show and try to embark forward into what we all hopefully will be a bright future both short and long term in film as a new chapter is written for a movie and other animated adventures come our way in the future.

Totally agree. Good call Wink

elvis
AWESOME!!!!AWESOME!!!!
[img]http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/7267/elvis28wu.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

cjohnperry

>NeoRanger wrote:

>Makeshift Python wrote:

OOPS...

I totally forgot of the finale and missed it. I intended to check it out but was too busy watching Buffy on Netflix. So is it true that Clark dies and the funeral reveals his name was actually Jonathan Clark Kent and that he has a little brother named Clark?

Wink

Grrrr... Okay Python. You win this one.

But the next thread is MINE!
lmao. this people is a true follower. Oh how good was season 8. I personally think 8 was the BEST season we were given, but the whole ten years made the show. and the last episode really did complete the lore and back story we all know. I take my hat off to everybody involved with the show. Yeah there were holes in the last epp' but think about this. Would you rather they made smallville the way they did, complete with flaws, Or would you all rather they hadn't made it at all. i for one would ave been bored. There has been no other show for at least 12 years i got hooked on. I think the last one was Buffy. I didn't get hooked on the new adventures of Superman untill it was released on dvd, go figure, so I personally wouldn't wouldnt have wanted the producers, actors, writers, directors, technicians and everyone else to have done anything differently. I mean if they had we wouldn't be here typing about it.
CJperry

mindhavens
Just watched the series finale, after years of missing the program. I won't comment on what I thought of the show as it wouldn't add to this thread, though I was quite touched by the final few minutes - due in no small part to use of John Williams music and the sad thought that this could be the last we see of the Donnerverse. For me it was a lot more than saying goodbye to a TV series.

As I missed out on so much could be people be kind enough to fill in a couple of blanks. Firstly what is the explanation for Clark wearing glasses and how come he only wears them some of the time? Also was it ever explained why no one recognises him when he's Superman as Clark Kent?

It's unlikely but I'd love to see a reunion special set after the events we saw. In a way it reminded me of Star Wars Episode III, where there's a lot of blanks still be filled in, which is a story I'd like to see.

NeoRanger
As I missed out on so much could be people be kind enough to fill in a couple of blanks. Firstly what is the explanation for Clark wearing glasses and how come he only wears them some of the time? Also was it ever explained why no one recognises him when he's Superman as Clark Kent?

Officially, Lois convinced him to wear glasses so that he can appear to the public instead of being the invisible "Blur". He only wears them from time to time, because consistency is a concept alien to this show.

Nobody knows why they don't recognise him. Here's to hoping that the photographer from the wedding didn't just decide to blackmail them with the photos once Superman made his first public appearance.

SupermanTemplar

>TheSuperman wrote:

ya that was pretty lame, it had moments, but this writing team just cannot put together a good episode to save its life. What a shame. They sure are good at dangling the carrot, even when the series is over. Would it have been too much to get one prolonged close up of tom in the superman suit? for crying out loud.

I have to say although it was awesome to finally see him flying about and being Superman I agree totally that they couldn't have had one shot of him standing in the suit or have the last half of the program him saving someone as superman. I thought it was great to see but a bit of a let down at the same time. I really hope he gets to do it on the big screen someday he'd be wonderfull.Smile

eminar
though not perfect, the finale really had its moments...a fitting end to a long but fantastic series...smallville may have ended, but the superman mythos still lives on...really excited on the coming future of the myth really...again, kudos to the writers, makers, and actors of the show, straight from the philippines ^^ my weekends have become a little boring now,haha

The Twitching King
I just wanted to see Superman be Superman, and I didn't get that. I felt a little robbed. Cheap, far off computer images, and one soap opera speech after another was not how I wanted this show to end.

Jump to Forum: