Superman Homepage » Television » Smallville
 Print Thread
SMALLVILLE SEASON 10 FINALE
NeoRanger
I thought they put the "Lex is a clone" cop-out to rest earlier in the season. So all that time spent developing his character in earlier seasons and showing his gradual transition to evil was for nothing, because that guy is dead, replaced by a clone.

Actually, Lex isn't a clone. He just grew clones and grafted their parts onto his own damaged body.

The rest, though, was indeed a cop-out.

Smallville23
i Actually feel like crying :'(, do a follow up please
Smallville's Biggest Fan!!!!

Marc Pritchard
I'll be spending the day writing my official review, which will be available probably Monday. A bittersweet ending, to be sure . . . but mostly bitter. Stay tuned.

Marc
Up, up . . . and omigod don't look down!

Chris P Bacon

>Superman1976 wrote:

Also, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the Chloe reading a book to her kid thing. If the movie ended with that scene to end credits, then I would have assumed a "Newhart" type ending.
For those that don't know "Newhart", it ended as if the whole series was a dream.

Perhaps the Chloe reading the comic book to the boy is on our Earth -- Earth Prime. The scenario reminds me of the final scene of the St. Elsewhere series, which may have been all in the mind of an autistic boy.

BM
Actually, Lex isn't a clone. He just grew clones and grafted their parts onto his own damaged body.

Thanks for clarifying - I missed that part of the explanation - I thought Lionel made a whole new Lex out of various clones. If he's mostly the real Lex than that is way better.

NeoRanger

Perhaps the Chloe reading the comic book to the boy is on our Earth -- Earth Prime

Can't. The show hints at little boy being Roy Harper (a.k.a Speedy) and the same Chloe that reads to the kid is shown calling Lois.

Kal-El85
Yeah I was wondering what was the deal with those Chloe book ends myself too... In the beginning, I thought maybe that was some alternate Earth where Superman is just a fictional character but at the end that very same Chloe makes a call to Lois and it's obviously the same universe.

So I'm left wondering, how can there be a Smallville comic book? Wouldn't that reveal Clark's secret? Is the secret identity already revealed to the world just 7 years later? But no, that doesn't make sense b/c in Clark's last scene w/ Lois, he is obviously still incognito before he goes on the roof to "change".

I guess it's best not to ask these kind of things...smh.

Well, I guess it's on to Man of Steel, perhaps this won't disappoint.

Edited by Kal-El85 on 14/05/2011 15:55

TheSuperman
They could have made this finale sooo much better, in so many ways. I mean they needed a moment where darkseid was going to mutilate a crowd of people, and just as he is about to lay down an omega beam blast, cut to the S blocking the blast, the camera slowly pans to clarks face, he said an epic line and then it zooms out to see the whole scene, and then the battle begins. These writers are the worst to ever head a tv show.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,

that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Leviticus 18-22 remember it.

NeoRanger
Another very annoying thing was how they handled Darkseid. For one, there was this stupid Lionel possession, WHICH I HAD CALLED, though I'm not pleased to have been proven right (or, indeed, having had a reason to do so in the first place). And secondly, this overdone, generic representation of the big daddy with symbolic "satanic" imagery... it's just so tired. Not to mention far, far removed from Darkseid and the New Gods.

stryker
Loved the finale given the constraints put on the series from the beginning. It wasn't about Superman but the path Clark endures to his destiny. I noticed no one else has commented on this, but how is Lex elected President in 2018? Not 2016 or 2020. Unless the Prez, VP & the whole line of succession is killed, and they have to have a special election.

cjohnperry

>Smallville23 wrote:

There is a spin off series in pre production. Lois Lane; Superman's girlfriend. Seriously. if you go back through the superman homepage news page it was releadsed earlier in the year. The producers have already cast Lois and we have been told we WON'T see Superman in it. That doesnt mean we wont see clark. I recall seeing though that a lot of the smallville cast will not be in it. Erica Durance turned down the lead role for fear of being type-cast.

BoThra

>Chris P Bacon wrote:

>Superman1976 wrote:

Also, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the Chloe reading a book to her kid thing. If the movie ended with that scene to end credits, then I would have assumed a "Newhart" type ending.
For those that don't know "Newhart", it ended as if the whole series was a dream.

Perhaps the Chloe reading the comic book to the boy is on our Earth -- Earth Prime. The scenario reminds me of the final scene of the St. Elsewhere series, which may have been all in the mind of an autistic boy.

But if you recall just after she says goodnight and leaves the room, she talks on the phone to Lois, who is clearly still in the Smallville universe. It just doesn't make sense, unfortunately. I really have enjoyed Smallville for the most part, but the whole Finale was a huge let-down. The whole thing (not unlike the rest of the show itself) was full of inconsistancies. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that. Seriously though, it felt like they didn't even try. I really wasn't a fan of the whole first have being basically about the wedding. That meant that they had to cram all the good parts of the ending into the second half, and it was just too much. Actually, didn't Brian and Kelly write Part II? They have a knack for underwhelming their viewers. Oliver killing the Prophets, Clark "defeating" Darkseid, Clark moving Apokolips, none of it was even epic. The flying part was somewhat, but after 10 years, it was still kind of an 'eh' moment. And don't even get me started on the "suit". If I wanted a crappy CGI version of an iconic costume, I'd watch SR or go see the new Green Lantern movie...

BoThra
cjohnperry wrote:
There is a spin off series in pre production. Lois Lane; Superman's girlfriend. Seriously. if you go back through the superman homepage news page it was releadsed earlier in the year. The producers have already cast Lois and we have been told we WON'T see Superman in it. That doesnt mean we wont see clark. I recall seeing though that a lot of the smallville cast will not be in it. Erica Durance turned down the lead role for fear of being type-cast.

I'm pretty sure that was posted as an April Fool's joke...

cjohnperry

>BoThra wrote:

[quote]BoThra wrote:I'm pretty sure that was posted as an April Fool's joke...
Time will tell. But I have to ask where did you get your info about it being a hoax from
CJperry

JR1989
The finale was great, I loved all the Lois & clark scenes, I know the cape was cgi but I'm happy that it had the yellow "S" on it. The last scene where Clark opens his shirt to reveal the superman suit got me thinking, where does Clark put the cape and the red boots? (He can't wear them under his suit) I've loved seasons 9 & 10 the most and I'm very sad smallville is ending because I want more Lois & clark.
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"

zoocko

>Kal-El85 wrote:

I guess I can get over the lack of visuals of Tom actually wearing the suit (in a way I guess that keeps in the tradition of what the show has been for the last 10 years) but the way the threat was so easily overcame and dismissed is really what bothers me the abt the finale.

They spent an hour pandering back and fourth about a wedding that never actually happens and as the world is literally on the brink of destruction, in the last 5-10 mins, Clark makes one offensive move towards Darkseid (disguised as a dead Lionel Luthoer btw) and pushes a planet away.
Now all of a sudden threat gone. Story over???
It's that easy to defeat the greatest threat in the universe? Lazy story telling at it's mediocre best...

& did anyone else notice that they're explanation for Lex moving forward can almost literally be attributed to some magic fairy dust aka "cognitive memory wipe" or whatever they called it...
So after all those years of character development, subtly showing what motivated Lex down his ultimate path towards evil. Even after his cool reunion scene w/ Clark here (which I thought was their way of re-defining the Superman-Lex relationship moving forward), his memory gets wiped by some " magic fairy dust"and in 7 years he's elected as our "evil" President??? Really?

I have to admit the letters falling off the side of the Luthorcorp building to reveal a not so subtle nod to L "X" CORP was pretty cool, but it doesn't make up for the plot holes and general uninspired, lazy story with which they chose to wrap up the show.

True. But it was a fairly awful show anyhow.
Zac Schneider

eldarthyvaderinsky
Ok, first let me say that overall I liked it. Appropriate for Smallville and actually bigger than what I expected.

Now, my small list of questions and complaints.

1- Since when is there wind in space? Ok, the cape flapping and his hair moving looks good...but not in space.

2- The comic book....yep, I´m with all of you on this one. Stupid.

3- 7 years to marry her? Really?

4- Standin actor for Welling to greet Lois on the plane window?? WTF, not even for that small closeup bit Welling would dress up? Ever heard of throwing your fans a bone, Mr Welling??

5- What´s that blue stuff coming out of his...uhh...behind, when he flies up to Apokolips?

6- Putting on the suit is done by attaching the cape to his back? (Ok, I can let that slide bc I always imagined the suit being re-engineered in the crystal casing). At least the cape had a yellow shield.

7- Why the frack does every public crowd in a superhero movie have to have that annoying chubby blond All-American boy with that 50-s haircut in it? Hated him in Spiderman, hated him here.

8- Why did Superman break the fortress to fly out? Crystals aren´t cheap these days, I tell ya. And it´s not as he had demonstrated any real hurry before that.

9- Darkseid is a whimp? That´s not how I remember him.

10- Darkseid inspired the legend of Lucifer? Uhhh...whaaaaat?? So, Superman is Jesus, right? Ohhhh that´s so deep.

11- Apokolips is almost earthsized, but when Superman is shown releasing it it´s just moonsized?

12- Why didn´t the 3D model of Superman have Welling´s proportions? Even IF they used Routh´s model, it´s VERY easy to modify proportions on a character subdivision model and animation rig.

13- Jonathan gives Clark the suit and the crystal casing just vanishes after physically breaking through the ice? So what is Kryptonian stuff, magic or technology??

14- Why does jimmy´s massively younger brother look so much older than him 7 years from now?

15- Why exactly did Lex kill Tess?? No sense there at all except for artifical drama!

16- Why does Lois look like a cheap secretary in the future?

17- What is Jor-El? (see13)

18- Why was the suit buried? Wasn´t the fortress completely deactivated last ep when it was clearly above ground?

19- Why does Jonathan Kent age in the afterlife?

20- Why is Jonathan hesitant to touch anything or anyone? He´s been a ghost for several years now and should know what he can do or not.

21- Why did Clark run to Tess´ car??

22- Why didn´t the earth break apart (ok, they mentioned that physics 101 doesn´t apply here yeah yeah yeah. bah)

23- Why was Welling so insanely hesitant to dress up? Does he really expect to make a dent as an actor anytime?? REALLY? Shouldn´t he be more interested in massive DVD sales of a good product NOW?

24- Why did the plane fall if it just needed a small 3 second support under one wing?

25- Where was Krypto, the superdog? And Connor and Martian Manhunter and and and..?

26- Why do I care about that nonsense?

Edited by eldarthyvaderinsky on 14/05/2011 12:55

zoocko

>BoThra wrote:

>Chris P Bacon wrote:

>Superman1976 wrote:

But if you recall just after she says goodnight and leaves the room, she talks on the phone to Lois, who is clearly still in the Smallville universe. It just doesn't make sense, unfortunately. I really have enjoyed Smallville for the most part, but the whole Finale was a huge let-down. The whole thing (not unlike the rest of the show itself) was full of inconsistancies. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that. Seriously though, it felt like they didn't even try. I really wasn't a fan of the whole first have being basically about the wedding. That meant that they had to cram all the good parts of the ending into the second half, and it was just too much. Actually, didn't Brian and Kelly write Part II? They have a knack for underwhelming their viewers. Oliver killing the Prophets, Clark "defeating" Darkseid, Clark moving Apokolips, none of it was even epic. The flying part was somewhat, but after 10 years, it was still kind of an 'eh' moment. And don't even get me started on the "suit". If I wanted a crappy CGI version of an iconic costume, I'd watch SR or go see the new Green Lantern movie...

It's very easy. Nowhere in the comic book was it explicitly shown that they say his real name, his face was completely wrong for Tom Welling, and it's probably pretty common knowledge that Superman started in Smallville. Therefore, it's just a little bit of in-world fiction that happens to reflect on their reality. A 'Superman origin story'
Zac Schneider

JR1989

>Smallville23 wrote:

Yeah, I too would like to see spin-off tv series (maybe a new series of Lois & Clark) but unfortunately I don't think we will see a spin-off.
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"

Phil
As far as Tom Welling not putting on the Superman costume, there may be an explanation.
The costume was made specifically for Brandon Routh in "Superman Returns."
It's quite possible that the costume simply did not fit Tom Welling.

When Brandon Routh was workiing out in preparation for "Superman Returns," he had to cut
back on his training because the costume had become almost too tight since his final fitting.
Brandon Routh is a very slender guy. I doubt Tom Welling could have squeezed into the trunks,
nor the boots.

We were all looking forward to Tom Welling suiting up in the finale, but the producers may have
realized that it would not be worth the expense to alter Routh's costume (or make a new one)
for just one or two scenes.

Jump to Forum: