Superman Homepage » Television » Smallville
 Print Thread
SMALLVILLE SEASON 10 FINALE
yagyu
man i loved this show, gonna miss it. i enjoyed the finale though i do think there were things that could have been better. Still it didnt end nearly as bad as Lost. Overall it was fun and had its moments. I know ppl are pissed by the cgi, i felt it coulda been better but i was glad we got what we got. I really thought we were gonna get just what they showed in the last few seconds of tom opening his shirt and that would end it. But hey guys at least we got more then that. I would love them to now make a superman movie or justice league movie using the cast of smallville.

Thanx smallvill, cast and crew, for giving me 10 years of awesome entertainment. Gonna miss it.

Up Up and Away!

discodale
On a whole... part One and Two I thought were done very well. They kept you on the edge of your seat and delivered in the end... The fight with Darkness was prophesized that the "light" would win... No doubt the battle for good vs evil was short... Clark hovering in the sunlight for the first time... feeling the true power of the sun... Unstoppable... The scene a the fortress... Jor-El telling him he was proud, AND finally saying the importance of Jonathan and Marha.... hue moments for Clark... then flying out with suit in his arms and the joy in his face.... and changing in mid-air... the ode to Superman One and Two by saving Air Force One.... then MOVING A PLANET.... I SAID MOVING A PLANET!!!! While Green Arrow believes in him as Clark believed in him... moving the planet out of the darkness and into the light thus saving the population.... then again.. the ode to Donner and Singer with the pushing of the planet and the hovering in space above the earth... then 7 years later and putting off the wedding again to save Metropolis from a bomb.... Loved the scene on the roof with him throwing the vest, pulling off the glasses and taring open the shirt...revealing the S and turning into a homeage of Superman 1 & 2 with the music and final credits.... I thought there were a milion things they could have done better... and a million things they could've done worse.... all in all... I thought they lived up to everything they said from day one "No Suit/No Fly" till...the very end... I was in tears... tears of joy. The icon and idea of Superman makes me strive to be a better man every day.... Thank you "Smallville"...... Now... Onto "Superman....Man of Steel!" I have a feeling it will be everything we all want and need.... don't belive me... then... LOOK...UP IN THE SKY..... I believe... I believe...

Man-O-Steal
I enjoyed the finale, but did feel a little let down by the non-fight that should have been an epic Superman vs Darkseid throw-down, and the fact that we never got a real look at Welling in the suit. (Great seeing Jimmy back thoughSmile)

Kal-El85
I guess I can get over the lack of visuals of Tom actually wearing the suit (in a way I guess that keeps in the tradition of what the show has been for the last 10 years) but the way the threat was so easily overcame and dismissed is really what bothers me the abt the finale.

They spent an hour pandering back and fourth about a wedding that never actually happens and as the world is literally on the brink of destruction, in the last 5-10 mins, Clark makes one offensive move towards Darkseid (disguised as a dead Lionel Luthoer btw) and pushes a planet away.
Now all of a sudden threat gone. Story over???
It's that easy to defeat the greatest threat in the universe? Lazy story telling at it's mediocre best...

& did anyone else notice that they're explanation for Lex moving forward can almost literally be attributed to some magic fairy dust aka "cognitive memory wipe" or whatever they called it...
So after all those years of character development, subtly showing what motivated Lex down his ultimate path towards evil. Even after his cool reunion scene w/ Clark here (which I thought was their way of re-defining the Superman-Lex relationship moving forward), his memory gets wiped by some " magic fairy dust"and in 7 years he's elected as our "evil" President??? Really?

I have to admit the letters falling off the side of the Luthorcorp building to reveal a not so subtle nod to L "X" CORP was pretty cool, but it doesn't make up for the plot holes and general uninspired, lazy story with which they chose to wrap up the show.

geno_cide222
I'm sorry but I just felt so cheated guys. I mean I'm not bashing just stating my feelings toward the finale (just like what my boss would say, feelings are never wrong) He didn't even wear the suit, it was all CGI. Would it hurt to at least have one whole body shot of Tom wearing the damn suit? Would it hurt to just have one more big fight? would it hurt to just at least show what "clark" did to Apokolips to make it drift away??? Its the freaking finale for god sakes!

I was really hoping that this "finale" would be better than Superman Returns but it just equally dissapointed me. SR made me wait for 20 years to see an emo Superman with daddy issues and no big fight. In Smallville, we had to wait 10 years to finally see him in a suit but in CGI??? and again no big fight? This was a wasted opportunity by the show to treat this as a bigtime Superman movie (it was 2 hours long!) but they just blew it, really. And Oliver killing the unholy Trinity with one shot??? wow!

There were some good scenes. Clark learning to fly on his own (finally) and the scene where he flies up from the Fortress was cool (that was a wasted opportunity to show him in full suit!) The Lois and Clark pre wedding scenes were good but a little long in my opinion.

All in all, what a letdown. I was expecting much more from Smallville and please dont give me excuses like "its suppose to be a Clark story" and "his journey." It still has to be great, not good but great! It's Superman people! He deserves only the best interpretation. In the end, I will miss Smallville and some of its wonderful moments. I will miss watching Erica Durance Smile Well there's always the next Superman film to look forward to! Please dont screw that up!

NeoRanger
That was... awful. Just... awful. The first part was arbitrary relationship BS, dull beyond belief and with very badly written dialogue to boot. The second part was all over the place. I'm not even going to START with all the actual fanboy-ish disappointment; I'm pretty sure I can point out more than a few things wrong with it, but the fact that it was a bad two-parter as a TV show was what bothered me the most.

The only half-way decent parts where the bits with Lex in it and that's ONLY because of Rosenbaum, because honestly, the dialogue didn't make much sense there either.

Look! Jimmy looks completely different than in Clark's vision. That's not a biggie. What is a biggie is that he looks exactly like his older brother! Only, you know, even older! In fact, he's more wrinkled than Clark and Lois! Ah, TV magic.

"Remember Smallville", Jonathan says. No, John. No. You yourself are awesome, but I'll take some of that dramatically convenient neuro-toxin over any memory from that show past its third season.

What the finale was is the same thing "Smallville" has been for the biggest run of its life: cool and flashy scenes suited for movie trailers and music videos. Take the very few good-looking parts out, edit them with the Williams theme, show them to someone and they'll actually believe this was a great show about Superman.

Good riddance you overwritten, mindless tripe.

And now, I'll tell you how I REALLY feel. Just kidding.

Edited by NeoRanger on 14/05/2011 05:43

persuader
I have watched Smallville since day one and must say I was deeply disappointed in the series finale. It could, and should, have been SO much better!

cjohnperry
Well, what can I say tha hasn't already been said. I've read most of these posts now and can see a mixture of results. I pcan see both sides of this discusion. I see where it let the 'Superman' fans down. But like the producers said, this was Clarks story. there is the big gap of how people don't realise Clark is supes, but thats because of the 7 year gap between darkseid and the end of the episode, I guess that could be covered in the Lois Lane spin off. As for Smallville fans, I think you were given justice for waiting 10 years. I was a fan of Supes before smallville started, and have enjoyed the series. I'm sad it's ended but on the whole 'What a ride'. I honestly thought we'd see Superman at the end of the first season, once i realised that wasn't gonna happen I thought we'd see him at some point in the future. I never expected it to be 8 years after i realised it wasnt happening in the start. However I did realise at the start of season 3 exactly how Smallville would end. Clark standing glasses coming off, shirt opening to reveal the 'S' with John Williams score playing in the background. I actually thought we saw more of Superman than I thought we would. And well done on the completion of the luthor story. Lore says we never heard of Tess of Lionel before Smallville, And now I know why and loved the way itwas soo easily explained. I always wondered ifsomething like the toxin used on Lex would be used on the whole world so that people never realised they'd seen Superman as Clark in Smallville, like I said its the seven year gap. Wish it wasn't over. Maybe they can do a Smallville special, just a one off show us how life has progressed for Lois, Clark, Oliver and Chloe. Does anyone remember Lore says Oliver and Canarie get married, what about the implying child of Chloe's....................... Gonna miss this show, feel quite upset.Sad
CJperry

JOlson420
Overall it was one helluva an ending, especially the way that Lex Luthor decided to comeback. But on the other hand the supposed battle between Supes and Darkseid left a lot to be desired.Wink

JOlson420

>Kal-El85 wrote:

I guess I can get over the lack of visuals of Tom actually wearing the suit (in a way I guess that keeps in the tradition of what the show has been for the last 10 years) but the way the threat was so easily overcame and dismissed is really what bothers me the abt the finale.

They spent an hour pandering back and fourth about a wedding that never actually happens and as the world is literally on the brink of destruction, in the last 5-10 mins, Clark makes one offensive move towards Darkseid (disguised as a dead Lionel Luthoer btw) and pushes a planet away.
Now all of a sudden threat gone. Story over???
It's that easy to defeat the greatest threat in the universe? Lazy story telling at it's mediocre best...

& did anyone else notice that they're explanation for Lex moving forward can almost literally be attributed to some magic fairy dust aka "cognitive memory wipe" or whatever they called it...
So after all those years of character development, subtly showing what motivated Lex down his ultimate path towards evil. Even after his cool reunion scene w/ Clark here (which I thought was their way of re-defining the Superman-Lex relationship moving forward), his memory gets wiped by some " magic fairy dust"and in 7 years he's elected as our "evil" President??? Really?

I have to admit the letters falling off the side of the Luthorcorp building to reveal a not so subtle nod to L "X" CORP was pretty cool, but it doesn't make up for the plot holes and general uninspired, lazy story with which they chose to wrap up the show.

Sounds to me like some of the creative writing team had one too many congratulatory drinks before wrap up

Superman1976
All an all, I liked it and took it for what it is. We all knew we wouldn't get "exactly" what we wanted, but I liked it an plan to re watch it.

When Clark saved the plane; I really would have liked to have seen him carry the plane to the ground to safety, then use the line we all know of, "Statistically speaking, of course, it's still the safest way to travel".

Also, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the Chloe reading a book to her kid thing. If the movie ended with that scene to end credits, then I would have assumed a "Newhart" type ending.
For those that don't know "Newhart", it ended as if the whole series was a dream.

Edited by Superman1976 on 14/05/2011 09:05

Ricardo
I´ve have to thank Tom Welling For disappointed me and the time that I waste watching this serie!
This Ggi Superman is because that him never wanted to Put the suit.....

Captain Sigma
I guess there are enough photomanips on the internet where you can see what Tom Welling would look like in the Superman costume. I was a little let down at first. But then I thought, the finale was a good compromise to how Gough and Millar started the show with their "No Flights, No Tights" motto. I should have played closer attention to the neurotoxin and how they would swipe Lex Luthor's memory once he came back on the seen. Nice touch with Clark's earthly and Kryptonian fathers coming together to send our hero off properly! I hope Warner Brothers brings this cast back in some form whether it's a reunion movie or a DC Universe Original Animated Movie (which I have been trying to spark conversation about since this last season began). Come on, Tom! Your fans want an encore!
"I'm always around."Wink

NeoRanger

Also, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the Chloe reading a book to her kid thing..

Don't. You'll make your head explode. Chloe, OUR Chloe, the in-Universe Chloe who grew up with Superman, was reading his life to her son. Apparently, Superman's entire life is available for 2.99 in his world; only by DC Comics!

sbeamish
But this is already reminding me of the Superman Returns reaction. Some of us love it. Some of us don't... & Just as with Superman Returns, I imagine that in time, some of the lovers of this episode may view it a bit more objectively.

I can't begin to tell you how offensive I find this remark. It clearly infers that people who liked, and still like, SR are not viewing the film objectively.

Mind you I'm not saying this, but it would be like my saying... "After nearly 5 years, and a complete reboot in pre-production, some of the people who hated Superman Returns have had the maturity to move on and let it drop."

Let us, instead, say that some of the people who hated the movie have moved on and let it drop.

While Smallville has never been my favorite version of the Superman myth, one thing is undeniable. Smallville did strike a chord with the general public, and Superman Returns did not. Smallville was an undeniable success.

Some things about the finale rubbed me the wrong way, but, overall, I really enjoyed it. It was purposely shmaltzy and nostalgic, but I like shmaltz.

Thematically, it seemed to be saying that if you hold onto your memories, you can become the hero you were meant to be. Letting go of your past may set you on the path to darkness. Ofcourse, that's also a built in advertisement. I fully expected Jonathan to say, "Always hold on to Smallville... the complete series; available on DVD this fall."

And you know what? For me, it worked. Sometimes keeping up with the show was a bit of a chore for me, but I do believe the DVD set will be on my Christmas list this year.

FEMontesa
It was always about Clark Kent. The fact that he becomes Superman seems incidental by the finale since everyone knows how it's suppose to end. The wedding seems a waist since it never resulted in Lois & Clark married. After 10 years I would have loved to have gotten a good look of him in the suit. I like that it gave tribute to the movies at the end but I wish there was an iconic shot of Superman flying off instead of him just Clark ripping opening the shirt. There was a better picture of Connor as Superboy and even Shelby as Krypto when Lois placed a red towel on his back. I would love to have seen a picture of om Welling in the Superman suit instead of the photoshop version made by fans.

kooz973
After he defeated Darkseid, instead of staying on a closeup of Tom Welling (which made no sense), they should have pulled back slowly with him in full costume. That would have been the "hero" shot everyone was looking for. Would have took less than ten seconds, but would have made all the difference. The only thing I can think of is maybe Smallville was restricted as far as how much they can show Tom in full costume, because of the pending movie. Otherwise, I can't imagine why the producers would intentionally show as little as they did. Disappointed either way. They should figure something out and do some reshoots with Tom Welling in full costume and put it in the DVD, otherwise I'm not buying it. Maybe the fan base can convince the producers to do so.

sahin
I just watched the Finale, and i have to say that i really enjoyed it! the script was great!
the only few things that bothered me was the fact, that we didn't see welling in a full body-shot with the suit! they always showed only his head with a cgi'ed cape in the background. and of course tess' death. i really liked that character. and also, that she and the others hadn't even one scene together. the whole episode she was frightendend and lonely! Sad
and also that we didn't hear the name SUPERMAN once!

but i enjoyed the rest!
LOIS & CLARK READING EACH OTHER'S VOWES! (very emotional)
THE WEDDING!
CLARK FLIES & DEFEAT'S DARKSEID!
OLIVER OWNES DARKSEID SOLDIERS!
LEX RETURNS!
SUPERMANS DEBUT!
AARON ASHMORES RETURN! (that was a surprise!) Grin
and the cherry on the top: THE SUPERMAN-THEME by JOHN WILLIAMS IN THE FINAL SCENE!!!

A GREAT FINALE!

GOODBYE SMALLVILLE!!! THANK YOU FOR 10 SUPER-YEARS!

sman24
smallville was the best show on tv for the last ten years it had its ups it had its downs but it gave use hope and showed use that if we stay strong good will come. thank you to all the cast and crew for all it gave us. we love you.
arthur gardner

BM
I thought they put the "Lex is a clone" cop-out to rest earlier in the season. So all that time spent developing his character in earlier seasons and showing his gradual transition to evil was for nothing, because that guy is dead, replaced by a clone. And the memory wipe might have made more sense if fake Lex didn't already declare that he and Clark/Superman will forever be enemies in the previous scene. And just to play Devil's Advocate - it might be better off that we didn't see Tom in the suit up close. I always felt he was too boyish or "pretty" looking to look right in full Superman costume. Great as Clark Kent, but I think he would look weird in the suit. I know he's the same age (or older) than Christopher Reeve was when he played Superman, but CR had an older more mature look that made him a perfect Supes. Still - I'm glad to have watched the series.

Jump to Forum: