Print Thread
What type of crime does superman fight?
colindunn
Hello everyone,

As a non-comic book reader, I was hoping to get some insight for an art project I am working on. The question is: what kind of crime does superman fight? The more specific the answer the better (i.e. purse-snatchers is better than robbery).

Bonus points if you can pull examples from actual comics! (although don't worry about sourcing them. Your word is enough for me!)

Thanks!

Colin

AKalel
I never saw Superman as a crime fighter but for a lack of a better term a EMT. By this generally Superman saves/rescures people and generally in my opinion when he squares off against a baddie its not realy cause they committed a crime or doing something against the law but its a case of him trying to stop the baddie from doing something that if the plan was to succeed would mean a person(s) would get serious hurt or even worse die.

baalroo
Superman is less about fighting crime and more about stopping cheaters and bullies and helping the helpless.

Hypoxic
In the earliest stories, Superman fought against corruption and social injustices. He was a guardian of the oppressed and looked out for the commoners against crooked politicians, dirty cops, abusive husbands, and good for nothing gangsters.

During WW2, he was used as a propaganda tool and the stories had him fighting in the war. Eventually, the science fiction era took off and we have the Superman that fights intergalactic threats, monsters, metahumans, and all that good stuff. That is pretty much the Superman we have today.

Superman is less of a crime fighter and more of a protector.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

The Man of Steel1265
To make it simple: Superman fights for what's right.Wink

The Man of Steel1265
One of the greatest quotes from Superman was: "I help those who can't help themselves".

AKalel
I think it is a fine line to say Superman fights for whats right cause a argument can be made would he say he fights on what he thinks or based on his upbringing?

Hypoxic

>AKalel wrote:

I think it is a fine line to say Superman fights for whats right cause a argument can be made would he say he fights on what he thinks or based on his upbringing?

Yes, that's a hard nut to crack. The idea of what's right isn't universal, but there are ideas of what's right that are part of our conscience, even our instincts. Ethology is teaching us more and more that altruism and morality are inherent. I like my Superman who does what's right not based on ideologies, but on rationality.

Again, though, this may very likely kindle more debate.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

AKalel
I know this is the comics forum but that was a neat thing they did in this weeks SMallville how ZOd says it seemed like Clark in Zod's eyes appointed himself judge, jury and excutioner it remined me of the storey line when Superman/CLark encounter a alternate universe Zod and company and he acted the same sort of way plus lead him to leaving Earth in exile.

copacetic
Intergalactic threats or larger-than-life villains. Once in a blue moon they'll show him stopping some petty crime to show "no crime is too small" but on the whole, he's more of a large scale superhero than a one-on-one crimefighter really.

People, the OP asked for specifics, not vague platitudes like "he fights for what's right" or "helping the helpless". That's all grand high thought, but the OP just wanted a simple answer as to what kind of bad stuff Superman helps protect Metropolis/Earth/the galaxy from, since he/she doesn't read the comics.

The Man of Steel1265
People, the OP asked for specifics, not vague platitudes like "he fights for what's right" or "helping the helpless".

Heh, sorry about that. I've never been good at properly explaining things to people.

AKalel
I did not specifics because lets face it Superman is a unique hero to begin with and can't realy think of specifics or at least ones that would explain what I mean.

Supermark
The thing about Superman is that he isn't just a crimefighter. More often than not, he is in the business of just plain doing the right thing. If you take the first movie as an example, he rescues Lois Lane from a falling helicopter, saves Air Force One from a thunderstorm, races across the Nevada desert to stop a nuclear warhead, stops a flood, and even rescues a cat stuck in a tree

You did mention that this was for an art project, right? If you're looking for a more visual approach, then you're probably going to want something that truly showcases the character at his best. I can recommend some of the following scenarios:

>> Ripping open his shirt (possibly inside a phone booth)
>> Lifting a car over his head.
>> Standing steadfast and unharmed against a hail of bullets (fists at his hips)
>> Flying above the Earth
>> Rescuing a certain reporter damsel in distress
Check out the World's Finest Podcast at:
[url]http://tinmanfris...dbean.com/ [/url]

Jump to Forum: