Print Thread
What are you reading?
Hypoxic

>Utah13 wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

Reading through some of these great stories again.

[img]http://www.undertheradarmag.com/uploads/review_images/saga_of_solomon_kane.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Some of these are truly excellent comic book gems (mostly adaptions, of course, of Robert E. Howard's stellar pulp classics), and all too forgotten.

I've always been deeply partial to adventure stories and Solomon Kane remains among my absolute favourites. I thoroughly enjoy the characterization in which he thinks his Puritan-based faith is his strength, but from time to time it ends up being his weakness.

Most of the stories were originally published between 1973 and 1994 in issues of The Savage Sword of Conan, but others were first printed in Kull & the Barbarians, Monsters Unleashed, Dracula Lives!, and the like.

Some of the highlights in this collection:

"Skulls in the Stars"
"Castle of the Undead" and its followup "Retribution in Blood"
"The Hills of the Dead"
"The Right Hand of Doom"
"Wings in the Night"

All of Robert E. Howard's stuff is great for a rainy day.Grin

Agreed. I love the old pulps, and these adaptions do the original stories plenty of justice.

Any thoughts on the Solomon Kane film from last year?
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Saint Expeditus

>Hypoxic wrote:

>Utah13 wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

[img]http://www.undertheradarmag.com/uploads/review_images/saga_of_solomon_kane.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Some of these are truly excellent comic book gems (mostly adaptions, of course, of Robert E. Howard's stellar pulp classics), and all too forgotten.

I've always been deeply partial to adventure stories and Solomon Kane remains among my absolute favourites. I thoroughly enjoy the characterization in which he thinks his Puritan-based faith is his strength, but from time to time it ends up being his weakness.

Most of the stories were originally published between 1973 and 1994 in issues of The Savage Sword of Conan, but others were first printed in Kull & the Barbarians, Monsters Unleashed, Dracula Lives!, and the like.

"Skulls in the Stars"
"The Hills of the Dead"
"The Right Hand of Doom"
"Wings in the Night"

Agreed. I love the old pulps, and these adaptions do the original stories plenty of justice.

I whole heartedly agree with all of the above.

I am just finished an Incredible Hulk volume 1. It wasn't very good, the story at the end doesn't seem to tie into the rest of the book and had I known that Romita Jr. did the art, I wouldn't have purchased it. (In hardback no less) Can't recommend it.

I am currently reading James Robinson's Starman volume one. It is still early but I am having a hard time getting into it. Everyone says it is one of the best things ever, but I am not feeling it. In part the art is very off-putting.

Hypoxic

>Saint Expeditus wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

>Utah13 wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

"Skulls in the Stars"
"The Hills of the Dead"
"The Right Hand of Doom"
"Wings in the Night"

I whole heartedly agree with all of the above.

I am just finished an Incredible Hulk volume 1. It wasn't very good, the story at the end doesn't seem to tie into the rest of the book and had I known that Romita Jr. did the art, I wouldn't have purchased it. (In hardback no less) Can't recommend it.

I am currently reading James Robinson's Starman volume one. It is still early but I am having a hard time getting into it. Everyone says it is one of the best things ever, but I am not feeling it. In part the art is very off-putting.

We're all in agreement, then: Solomon Kane is wicked.

Regarding Hulk: easily one of my most disliked comic characters. I'm not overly keen on Romita, Jr's art, either. It seems really stiff and his poses are awkward.

For Starman, I enjoy it, but I think the praise is a little over the top.
_____

Hypoxic
DC's app released the original five issues of Firestorm: The Nuclear Man - all for $0.99 each! Took advantage of that handout, I tell ya. I do believe I have blackjack!

Just finished this one:

[img]http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/3229/104912-18409-107988-1-firestorm-the-nucle_super.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Supes actually has a very minor role. I'm certain he was thrown into the mix to help with sales of Firestorm and get his name out to the hardcore fan base.

Great stuff. I really enjoy Firestorm. It's one of the relaunch titles I'm most excited about.
_____

Zaniah
Reading all the current Superman / Flashpoint stuff now...I'm also amassing all the Blackest Night required reading..So far I have:

Blackest Night TPB
Blackest Night: Black Lantern Corps Vol 1 TPB
Blackest Night: Green Lantern TPB

On the recommendation of Hypoxic ( I think) I am holding off on reading those, and I just ordered

Green Lantern: Secret Origin
and
Green Lantern Rebirth

Once I start on those I'll order the Sinestro Corps Wars Vol 1 and 2 and then drive on into Blackest Night. The Anticipation is really worth it, I've heard really good things about Blackest Night so I want to do this right.

Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

Once I start on those I'll order the Sinestro Corps Wars Vol 1 and 2 and then drive on into Blackest Night. The Anticipation is really worth it, I've heard really good things about Blackest Night so I want to do this right.

Yep, that's the way to do it. A lot of good reading there. Enjoy!
_____

Zaniah
Just finished GL secret origin and rebirth. SO was good, exactly what you would have expected... but Rebirth was outstanding! I wish I could have had a bridge between the two but at least I had heard of the parallax thing so I wasn't too lost.

Sinestro corps war volume 1 and 2nd come in tomorrow and then I'm finally off into the Blackest night.

Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

Just finished GL secret origin and rebirth. SO was good, exactly what you would have expected... but Rebirth was outstanding! I wish I could have had a bridge between the two but at least I had heard of the parallax thing so I wasn't too lost.

Sinestro corps war volume 1 and 2nd come in tomorrow and then I'm finally off into the Blackest night.

Nice. Glad you enjoyed them. I've said it before, the Green Lantern titles in the past few years have been among the most outstanding in the industry.

Currently, just starting into Flashpoint #3. I have to rely on the digital releases of the titles, and they're coming out more slowly than I hoped. #3 was just released last Friday on DC app's weekly "Flashpoint Friday." Since I'm confined to the app, I've been going with the exclusive digital deluxe versions. They're good, with lots to look at in the form of sketches, stories from the creative team, alternate covers, and what have you.

I'm liking Flashpoint, I don't think it's utterly groundbreaking, but it's doing its job. Looking forward to seeing how it all eventually unfolds.

[img]http://geek-news.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/flashpoint_3.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
_____

Saint Expeditus
Just finished The Invincible Iron Man: The Five Nightmares hardback.

The art was pretty good the villain and story also good. I enjoyed in on the whole yet found it WAAAAYYY to talkie for my taste with long sections of internal monologue about what Tony worries about.

The way the story resolves stunk. I wouldn't say run out and buy this; but I wouldn't say don't buy it either. There is a nice little Spider-man team up post script to the main story that was both fun, funny and touching.

Oh yeah.... There is a mini-origin recap for old Iron Man villain Obediah Stane. TOTAL Lex Luthor rip off. The sad part is he is probably a better written Lex than the Lex that has been appearing in DC comics for a while.

Zaniah
I'm halfway through the sinestro corps war and I'm digging it except for some parts in the GL Corps comics. They jump around a little too much. Unfortunately I haven't seen enough black hand in the books I have read to make me think he is as powerful as he seems in Blackest Night 0.

I liked Flashpoint 3 but not as much as the first two. Kal was pretty much the main reason I liked it....and subject 2 Sad

Zaniah
This week, I picked up

Flashpoint:
Emperor Aquaman 2 and 3
Booster Gold 47
Deadman Flying Graysons 3
LL and the Resistance

Hmmm....I really liked the end of the Deadman story, other then that it was so-so for me. Aquaman at least had an unexpected ending, but it all seemed unneeded. LL and the Resistance is a bore and Booster was really fun but sad that it ended.

Zaniah
Picked up Superman/Batman 87 today, My first and last Superman/Batman story arc was a very good one - I'm a big fan of the Joker. Retro S-Man 80's was very good as well. I read the First story but I haven't read the classic that goes along with it.

Hypoxic, Have you read FP#4 yet?

Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

Sorry, I just noticed this.

No, I haven't read it yet. I'm in a position these days where I have to rely entirely on digital or order trades. The app is horrendous for releasing Flashpoint. There's Flashpoint Friday but even now #4 hasn't been released yet. The sub-stories are getting better release times. It's a bit frustrating.
_____

Hypoxic

>Hypoxic wrote:

>Zaniah wrote:

Sorry, I just noticed this.

No, I haven't read it yet. I'm in a position these days where I have to rely entirely on digital or order trades. The app is horrendous for releasing Flashpoint. There's Flashpoint Friday but even now #4 hasn't been released yet. The sub-stories are getting better release times. It's a bit frustrating.

Flashpoint #4 was released through Flashpoint Friday about thirty minutes after I posted this. I've now read Flashpoint #4. I think it's decent, not as good as #3, not as dull as #2. Element Woman is annoying though.
_____

Hypoxic
Currently giving this a swing.

http://www.transi...com/novel/

It's pretty good. I hate reading comics on a computer screen though.

Nonetheless, I recommend it.
_____

A6K
Been doing alot of catching up on things, went through a lot of Superman/Batman, the For Tomorrow arc, Batman Hush, Last Son (hard to follow though, it stops starts with issue in between) I have a year read all you want on Marvel.com but after a few Wolverine story arcs I lost interest, because everything is a Wolverine story arc.
Flashpoint but not all of it.

Hypoxic

>A6K wrote:

I have a year read all you want on Marvel.com but after a few Wolverine story arcs I lost interest, because everything is a Wolverine story arc.

I tried to get back into Wolverine again a few months ago. It's obvious that Marvel treats Logan the same way DC treats Batman - "Ya can't go wrong with Wolverine!" Yes. Yes, you can. I don't think I've read more mundane, purely action-driven comics from Marvel. They were really dull, which sucks because Wolverine is pretty much the only Marvel character I still care for. Daredevil, too, though he's been pretty stock as of late, too. I haven't read Mark Waid's reboot, so I'd like to give that a shot.
_____

A6K

>Hypoxic wrote:

>A6K wrote:

I have a year read all you want on Marvel.com but after a few Wolverine story arcs I lost interest, because everything is a Wolverine story arc.

I tried to get back into Wolverine again a few months ago. It's obvious that Marvel treats Logan the same way DC treats Batman - "Ya can't go wrong with Wolverine!" Yes. Yes, you can. I don't think I've read more mundane, purely action-driven comics from Marvel. They were really dull, which sucks because Wolverine is pretty much the only Marvel character I still care for. Daredevil, too, though he's been pretty stock as of late, too. I haven't read Mark Waid's reboot, so I'd like to give that a shot.

You hit the nail on the head there.
I've always WANTED to like Captain America, to me he's kind of like what if Bruce Wayne tried being more like Superman. But, his costume annoys the #@#$ out of me. Ears stick out, wings on his head, wielding goves, and floppy boots. One of my big arguments to change classic costumes.

Zaniah

>Hypoxic wrote:

Flashpoint #4 was released through Flashpoint Friday about thirty minutes after I posted this. I've now read Flashpoint #4. I think it's decent, not as good as #3, not as dull as #2. Element Woman is annoying though.

Well, just wait for #5 - I had low expectations but it wrapped up very well for me. Plenty of loose ends and things that didn't come close to making sense, but I still enjoyed it.

Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

>Hypoxic wrote:

Well, just wait for #5 - I had low expectations but it wrapped up very well for me. Plenty of loose ends and things that didn't come close to making sense, but I still enjoyed it.

I really hope they get it out this coming Flashpoint Friday. I thought they'd get #4 and the loose ends released a couple weeks ago and then release #5 day-and-date last Wednesday. Alas...
_____

Jump to Forum: