Print Thread
What are you reading?
Saint Expeditus
I am currently working my way through Superman from the 30s to the 70s it is stellar, a must have for a Superman fan.

I also just finished Robin Year One and Batgirl Year One TPBs. Both are really good, BG in particular is exemplar of Chuck Dixon's fine work.

TomCon

>Saint Expeditus wrote:

I am currently working my way through Superman from the 30s to the 70s it is stellar, a must have for a Superman fan.

I also just finished Robin Year One and Batgirl Year One TPBs. Both are really good, BG in particular is exemplar of Chuck Dixon's fine work.

Cool list, Saint Expeditus. Does Superman from the 30s to the 70s have the same stories as the Superman in the... series that I keep seeing around?

Are both those Year Ones still in print?
Only a steel man came to recover
If he had run from gold, carry over
We celebrate our sense of each other
We have a lot to give one another --Sufjan Stevens, "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts"

Saint Expeditus

>TomCon wrote:

Cool list, Saint Expeditus. Does Superman from the 30s to the 70s have the same stories as the Superman in the... series that I keep seeing around?

Are both those Year Ones still in print?

I am unsure about the content differences between my book and the other Superman collections you mention. 30's to the 70s is a hardback which makes it a durable and readable collectors piece or coffee-table addition.

As for the year ones, I am pretty sure Batgirl is out of print but my LCS had one in stock. I don't know about Robin. Both are still available on Amazon.

Sorry I'm not more help...

TomCon
It's all good. I see it up on eBay, but I just bought The Art of Peanuts so I'm not in a hurry to buy any books right now.
We have a lot to give one another --Sufjan Stevens, "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts"

baalroo
Just got caught up on Secret Avengers and I'm pretty surprised at the quality. Pretty impressive how Brubaker managed to intermix Steve Rogers and a bunch of B-list marvel characters into a really compelling espionage sort of book. Add in the fact that the art is really top-notch and you've got a heck of a series.

Sven-El
The new Rocketeer Adventures mini-series. So awesome! It really respects the character Dave Stevens created. Issue two makes reference to the debut of Superman!

Batman: Gates of Gotham. Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Cassandra Cain and Damian Wayne are working together to solve a mystery with ties back to the 1800s. It features some flashes of steam punk. Snyder knows how to make each one of Bruce's "kids" have their own voice and personality and each of them seems to have their own "bat-trait" be it Dick's leadership and showman ship, Tim's detective skills and techno-wizardry, Cassandra's martial arts and keen senses, and Damian's combat skill and general Bat-jerk attitude. But yet they all balance each other perfectly
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE

Hypoxic
I'm reading through the Batman: Black & White series. Through comiXology I finally have a chance to read all the issues (and they're free!). Most of them are really good, while others are excellent.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Zaniah
Well, I'm back reading for the first time since childhood when I read Death, Funeral and Reign...I stopped reading just shy of when Zero Hour started - My mom had really cracked down on it at that time so after she threw them away for the third time I finally gave in. She is sorry for it now, and I don't blame her for doing what she thought was right...

I started back by borrowing a few paperbacks from friends (Kingdom Come, Infinite Crisis) - then I had to grab a few for my own (Birthright) and now I have caught up with Action Comics 890, 899 - current (I read the summarys of 891 - 898 on here). I branched out and have grabbed these comics in the last Month

Flashpoint
Flashpoint Sman, Hal Jordan, Booster Gold #45, boy is he in trouble (I've ordered Batman and the DM and Flying graysons)
I picked up these flashpoint titles, but I don't think I will get the rest - Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Lois Lane
Batman #700
Batman and Robin #1
I've bought the first three volumes of Batman and robin after reading Damian Vs Joker (B&R#13) was IGN's moment of the year last year

**Edit: I'm also trying to catch up on the best storylines of Superman and Batman

Once the DCnU starts I'll be reading JL, Action, S-Man, Batman, and Batman and Robin

Oh yeah, and I've ordered the blackest night collection and I'll be getting the Sman blackest night to go with it. I also have ordered Gotham by Gaslight.

Hypoxic

>Zaniah wrote:

Well, I'm back reading for the first time since childhood when I read Death, Funeral and Reign...

...Oh yeah, and I've ordered the blackest night collection and I'll be getting the Sman blackest night to go with it. I also have ordered Gotham by Gaslight.

Welcome back to the fold!

As for Blackest Night, I suggest reading the arcs leading up to it first, Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War. Not having read them won't take much away from the experience that is Blackest Night, but all three together are ultimately a trilogy and reading each of them in order makes them all the better. Rebirth is available in a single trade, and Sinestro Corps War is available in two.
_____

Saint Expeditus
I just picked up Superman Secret Origin. I am at the halfway point and for all the criticism it has taken I am really enjoying it.

It is not my favorite take on Superman, it is "Johns'd-up", and Frank's facial renderings can be grotesque; BUT it is a fun story so far.

EDIT: I finished this last night. It was a really fun story, that I would recommend to any superman fan. I figured out that Frank does great figures and faces but lousy facial expressions. I have never seen pencils that can be so fantastic in one panel and so horrible in another. Every cringe inducing panel was a close up of someone emoting with their face.

I really liked that Frank chose to draw the Army class A uniform in it's 1940's vintage rather than modern. The old uniform looked better by far. I didn't like the change to John Corben's character. I think it says more about Johns personal outlook than his story telling craft... I could be wrong though.

I think Kurt Busiek did a better job with the US government mistrust of Superman concept in Secret Identity.

This story raises a host of questions for me about why it was written and how it will impact the "non-reboot-reboot".

Still taken on it's own it is a good read. As always YMMV

Edited by Saint Expeditus on 08/07/2011 14:36

TomCon
Saint Expedius, that wasn't Frank Quitely for artwork on Secret Origin. The artist's name is Gary Frank.

Yeah, I do see your issues with the story, but I think it was written just so an origin for Supes post-Infinite Crisis could be written that would make sense.

Saint Expeditus

>TomCon wrote:

Saint Expedius, that wasn't Frank Quitely for artwork on Secret Origin. The artist's name is Gary Frank.

Yeah, I do see your issues with the story, but I think it was written just so an origin for Supes post-Infinite Crisis could be written that would make sense.

LOL! I can't believe the artist's jacked up. Thanks.

baalroo
I've recently started reading the original run of Swamp Thing from the early 70s and Grant Morrison's Animal Man. Both are crazy good.

Saint Expeditus

>baalroo wrote:

I've recently started reading the original run of Swamp Thing from the early 70s and Grant Morrison's Animal Man. Both are crazy good.

I have heard good things about Grant's Animal Man.

Hypoxic

>baalroo wrote:

Damn straight. Len Wein had some chops back in the day. It's funny - the unfortunate kind of funny - that many people think Stan "Gets Too Much Credit" Lee created Wolverine.

Any love for Moore's revival of Swamp Thing?
_____

Zaniah
Just finished Batman and Robin 1-16...That was a really fun ride. After seeing that Damian vs Joker was the IGN "Moment of the Year" I had to catch up on that series - It was pretty awesome.

Hypoxic
Reading through some of these great stories again.

[img]http://www.undertheradarmag.com/uploads/review_images/saga_of_solomon_kane.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Some of these are truly excellent comic book gems (mostly adaptions, of course, of Robert E. Howard's stellar pulp classics), and all too forgotten.

I've always been deeply partial to adventure stories and Solomon Kane remains among my absolute favourites. I thoroughly enjoy the characterization in which he thinks his Puritan-based faith is his strength, but from time to time it ends up being his weakness.

Most of the stories were originally published between 1973 and 1994 in issues of The Savage Sword of Conan, but others were first printed in Kull & the Barbarians, Monsters Unleashed, Dracula Lives!, and the like.

Some of the highlights in this collection:

"Skulls in the Stars"
"Castle of the Undead" and its followup "Retribution in Blood"
"The Hills of the Dead"
"The Right Hand of Doom"
"Wings in the Night"
_____

UCLGeogPhD
Just amazon'ed The Walking Dead Compendium, so shall be making my way through that in the future. At the moment I'm re-reading my way through Secret Six.

Utah13

>Hypoxic wrote:

Reading through some of these great stories again.

[img]http://www.undertheradarmag.com/uploads/review_images/saga_of_solomon_kane.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Some of these are truly excellent comic book gems (mostly adaptions, of course, of Robert E. Howard's stellar pulp classics), and all too forgotten.

I've always been deeply partial to adventure stories and Solomon Kane remains among my absolute favourites. I thoroughly enjoy the characterization in which he thinks his Puritan-based faith is his strength, but from time to time it ends up being his weakness.

Most of the stories were originally published between 1973 and 1994 in issues of The Savage Sword of Conan, but others were first printed in Kull & the Barbarians, Monsters Unleashed, Dracula Lives!, and the like.

Some of the highlights in this collection:

"Skulls in the Stars"
"Castle of the Undead" and its followup "Retribution in Blood"
"The Hills of the Dead"
"The Right Hand of Doom"
"Wings in the Night"

All of Robert E. Howard's stuff is great for a rainy day.Grin

King Creole
Flashpoint here. Better than expected. I missed issue 2 though.

Right now I'm finishing reading Blackest Night for the first time since it was originally released. And ready to jump to Brightest Day. Its incrdible all the deatails I missed in my first round. It is way better to sit and read all as you can to grab a better understanding of the story.

It's like watching Lost. I sat down one day and watched all episodes from season 1 to 6. It took me a month and a half. But now I got a better understanding of the series, and the motives etc.
You are here for a reason.

Jump to Forum: