Print Thread
Sucker Punch
Utah13
I just got sucker punched. . The biggest pile of steaming fresh poo sense maybe Superman Returns. I was the ONLY one who stayed to see the End. everyone else walked out. WOW it was laughably bad. Im really nervous about the next Sups film,.... Especially if production will be rushed.

Edited by Utah13 on 01/04/2011 07:03

copacetic
Yeah I heard it was absolutely horrible. Ah well, back to the drawing board for Superman, I vote McG for director, Tom Welling as Superman and Mxy and Toyman as villains. Bruce Willis as Lex Luthor and the Nostalgia Critic as General Zod.

baalroo
I thought it was fantastic (aside from the soundtrack). I found the commentary Snyder was making about "nerd culture" worth the price of admission. The central theme that we escape into fantasy worlds of dragons, nazis, samurai, superheroics, etc to avoid facing our own self destructive behaviors was cleverly presented... albeit maybe a bit too subtly for the average viewer. It is ironic that most people seemed to get too caught up in the visuals and cultural memes to realize the central statement Snyder was making was that people get too caught up in visuals and cultural memes.

Utah13
baalroo wrote:
I thought it was fantastic (aside from the soundtrack). I found the commentary Snyder was making about "nerd culture" worth the price of admission. The central theme that we escape into fantasy worlds of dragons, nazis, samurai, superheroics, etc to avoid facing our own self destructive behaviors was cleverly presented... albeit maybe a bit too subtly for the average viewer. It is ironic that most people seemed to get too caught up in the visuals and cultural memes to realize the central statement Snyder was making was that people get too caught up in visuals and cultural memes.

It wasn't subtle, It was stupid. There are better storyline's and better "Subtle themes" found in that big 5$ video game bin at Wal-Mart. HOWEVER. If you haven't seen it. Its worth getting from a redbox for a buck. the visuals are what you would expect.

a young tony curtis
Just watched Sucker Punch and i'm surprised at all the negative reviews since it's release, cus it's actually pretty good!.
I thought that it was a dark and disturbing story to be honest, if you take all the fantasy/action scenes out and just look at what Babydoll goes through right from the start (and the other girls),it's pretty harsh.
I thought it was just gonna be action and sexy girls(which it has both of!)etc,but it pleasantly surprised me,and the action/visuals are really good.

Ant-03
The story, the acting and the music was woeful.
The action, and effects... brilliant.

Hypoxic
I watched it for the first time about a month or so ago, but forgot to comment.

I'm still not really sure what I watched. I'm not really sure if Snyder knows what he directed.

I disagree that the action was good. I found it disjointed and full of derivative poses. You know that one pose, that all heroes do when they land on the ground and really want to show how awesome the preceding manoeuver was? You know the one, right?

This one:

[img]http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/Sucker_Punch_image-42.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Here's another example from another lacklustre film:

[img]http://www.womensabworkout.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Scarlett-Johansson-as-Black-Widow-in-Iron-Man-2.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

I hate that. I hate it. Really do, and Sucker Punch had it in full frontal. Enough already with the pose!

To be fair, I did like the first twenty minutes or so, and really did enjoy the first full action sequence with the giant samurai. After that, it was just a regular, garden variety popcorn flick, except the popcorn was stale.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

NeoRanger
^ It's comic book variety pose. That was kind of the point... I get the personal distaste, though.

a young tony curtis
This is my favourite one,and probably the pose that started all the others in modern films anyway.

[img]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i412/joepatz/1558197-trinity_jump_super.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Or maybe this is the greatest......No,I'm just over here now.

[img]http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i412/joepatz/Cartman-coon.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

A6K
I was really interested in Sucker Punch when it first started and for the first 20 - 30 minutes I was like, "Well this movie just got a bad rap, and it’s turning out to be pretty good." Well by the time the dragon came on screen I was doing laundry or washing dishes or something else more entertaining. Then to top it off, after powering my way though all of it the main character is a zombie and some chick I didn't even care about escapes. The evil Stepdad pretty much wins and there is no closure for the audience.

The Sucker Punch is the ending after "Here feel sorry for this poor character" It's all "Flashy Flashy Bang Bang, What the hell am I watching" The you get the "Remember that poor girl from the whole movie? You wanted to see her get out of this huh? F#ck you! You just got Sucker Punched."

NeoRanger
You wanted to see her get out of this huh?

She did get out of this.

A6K

>NeoRanger wrote:

You wanted to see her get out of this huh?

She did get out of this.

When the villan pays to have an ice pick shoved up the hero's head, the auidence doesn't want to see that happen. She was dead set on getting out of that place the whole movie and then at the last minute she's like "ok shove that thing in my brain I'm ok will being a vegetable" is not getting out of it. It's quitting, accepting defeat, and letting the villian win. Like I said before I powered through that mess for THAT ending?! I'm sure there are some others that agree.

And haveing the other girl escape is like having the guy with the red shirt in Star Treck survive and everyone else die.

NeoRanger

>A6K wrote:

When the villan pays to have an ice pick shoved up the hero's head, the auidence doesn't want to see that happen. She was dead set on getting out of that place the whole movie and then at the last minute she's like "ok shove that thing in my brain I'm ok will being a vegetable" is not getting out of it. It's quitting, accepting defeat, and letting the villian win. Like I said before I powered through that mess for THAT ending?! I'm sure there are some others that agree.

And haveing the other girl escape is like having the guy with the red shirt in Star Treck survive and everyone else die.

Admitting defeat? She caused a mess, sacrificed herself to let someone else live free (protecting them the way she didn't protect her sister) and, even though she didn't get the happy ending for herself, she brought down the system that put her in that position in the first place, so that nobody else will have to go through it in the future. Death (or any variation thereof) is not defeat.

Makeshift Python
This flick is proof that Snyder is really only as good as the script he works with. Hopefully with Man of Steel he'll be working with a very strong one. I think he's a fine director and it's one of the bright things about Sucker Punch, but yeah the script for that really brought it down.

calvinmark
sucker punch is ok movie. But girls are in this movie so hot. girls are actually powerful.

Jump to Forum: