Print Thread
Amy Adams is Lois Lane
JR1989
http://www.nme.co...lls/251859
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"
 
Lois-Lucy Lane
She's going to be awesome, her hair color doesn't matter, what matters is how she plays lois.
 
truemiracle12

>Lois-Lucy Lane wrote:


She's going to be awesome, her hair color doesn't matter, what matters is how she plays lois.


Thank you! Finally, another fellow believer in Amy! Grin
 
Hypoxic

>truemiracle12 wrote:


>Lois-Lucy Lane wrote:


She's going to be awesome, her hair color doesn't matter, what matters is how she plays lois.


Thank you! Finally, another fellow believer in Amy! Grin


There are far more than you seem to believe.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
suttie7

>Hypoxic wrote:


>truemiracle12 wrote:


>Lois-Lucy Lane wrote:


She's going to be awesome, her hair color doesn't matter, what matters is how she plays lois.


Thank you! Finally, another fellow believer in Amy! Grin


There are far more than you seem to believe.


You can add my name to the "Believer petition" also Smile
His name is Kal-El. He will call himself Clark Kent, but the world will know him as Superman.
 
Supermanx1313
I'm glad they went with Adams, she'll be the first truely attractive Lois Lane in a movie, I can't wait till it's released.
The Greatest Hero of all time!
 
Certainshades
I believe in Amy as well.

First off, I think she's a beautiful woman.

Second, I thought her performance in "The Fighter" was incredible and I think she has the ability to channel a very deep, tough woman like Lois and bring her to life with warmth and humor.

Third, yeah....please don't let negative comments make you think that people aren't supporting Amy.

Amy Adams is a 3- time Academy Award nominated actress. People ADORE her. She has her own huge set of fans. None of my friends in real life besides me read Superman comics but I can tell you that they were really happy to hear Amy would be in the movie.

That being said, as much as my husband likes Amy (and he does like her) he still says that Erica Durance's Lois Lane is the woman that he believes Clark would die for because she embodied Lois so well.

But I believe in Amy. She's going to do a good job.

The comments talking about her age honestly make me laugh. I can't imagine anyone over the age of 17 really having such an immature view on age. Amy is older than I am. I'm 28 just like Cavill. But I'm also mature enough to know at this point that age is nothing more than a number and I'm aware at this stage in my life that there is not a huge difference between 28/29 and 36.
As a 28 year old, I have several close friends dating and/or married to people who are either older or younger by several years. Two of my best friends are married to younger men.
The bottom line is that when you are emotionally mature age is nothing more than a number.

And frankly, the comments calling Amy "old" in comparison to Henry are sexist.

It would take me hours on end to list the number of Hollywood pairings where the man is several years older than the woman and no one bats an eye. Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway share the same age different as Cavill and Adams yet you hear no one saying that he's "too old" for her. Daniel Craig has repeatedly been paired with women 20 years his junior in films but no one bats an eye. Harrison Ford was repeatedly paired with much younger women and no one batted an eye. In fact, Harrison Ford was famously 14 years older than Carrie Fisher when they played Han Solo and Princess Leia and Ford was already well into his 30's when he BEGAN THE STAR WARS FRANCHISE in the late 70's. But I guess THAT was ok because Harrison Ford was a man and Fisher was a woman. I guess it's ok for MEN to start franchises in their late 30's even opposite love interests 14 years their junior but God forbid a WOMAN might be close to 40 years old in a sequel. We can't have that can we? ::sarcasm:: Seriously. There is some serious sexism there, people. Those talking about Amy's age really need to check themselves.

The bottom line is that our culture discriminates against women who are over the age of 35 by deeming them "old" and acting as of age 40 is this scary "she's no longer hot" number or calling her a "cougar" as opposed to recognizing that it's unfair and sexist to treat women in a way that we would NEVER treat men. No one treats men as if they are "too old" when the hit age 35. Culture TEACHES you to do that to women and it's wrong.

I'm proud of the team on this movie for recognizing that age is only a number and for recognizing that there is no stigma to the woman being older than the man. If you have a problem with AMy being older than Henry then you should also have a problem with every action film out there where the MAN is older. If not, then it's a sexist conversation. End of story.
 
truemiracle12

>Certainshades wrote:


I believe in Amy as well.

First off, I think she's a beautiful woman.

Second, I thought her performance in "The Fighter" was incredible and I think she has the ability to channel a very deep, tough woman like Lois and bring her to life with warmth and humor.

Third, yeah....please don't let negative comments make you think that people aren't supporting Amy.

Amy Adams is a 3- time Academy Award nominated actress. People ADORE her. She has her own huge set of fans. None of my friends in real life besides me read Superman comics but I can tell you that they were really happy to hear Amy would be in the movie.

That being said, as much as my husband likes Amy (and he does like her) he still says that Erica Durance's Lois Lane is the woman that he believes Clark would die for because she embodied Lois so well.

But I believe in Amy. She's going to do a good job.

The comments talking about her age honestly make me laugh. I can't imagine anyone over the age of 17 really having such an immature view on age. Amy is older than I am. I'm 28 just like Cavill. But I'm also mature enough to know at this point that age is nothing more than a number and I'm aware at this stage in my life that there is not a huge difference between 28/29 and 36.
As a 28 year old, I have several close friends dating and/or married to people who are either older or younger by several years. Two of my best friends are married to younger men.
The bottom line is that when you are emotionally mature age is nothing more than a number.

And frankly, the comments calling Amy "old" in comparison to Henry are sexist.

It would take me hours on end to list the number of Hollywood pairings where the man is several years older than the woman and no one bats an eye. Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway share the same age different as Cavill and Adams yet you hear no one saying that he's "too old" for her. Daniel Craig has repeatedly been paired with women 20 years his junior in films but no one bats an eye. Harrison Ford was repeatedly paired with much younger women and no one batted an eye. In fact, Harrison Ford was famously 14 years older than Carrie Fisher when they played Han Solo and Princess Leia and Ford was already well into his 30's when he BEGAN THE STAR WARS FRANCHISE in the late 70's. But I guess THAT was ok because Harrison Ford was a man and Fisher was a woman. I guess it's ok for MEN to start franchises in their late 30's even opposite love interests 14 years their junior but God forbid a WOMAN might be close to 40 years old in a sequel. We can't have that can we? ::sarcasm:: Seriously. There is some serious sexism there, people. Those talking about Amy's age really need to check themselves.

The bottom line is that our culture discriminates against women who are over the age of 35 by deeming them "old" and acting as of age 40 is this scary "she's no longer hot" number or calling her a "cougar" as opposed to recognizing that it's unfair and sexist to treat women in a way that we would NEVER treat men. No one treats men as if they are "too old" when the hit age 35. Culture TEACHES you to do that to women and it's wrong.

I'm proud of the team on this movie for recognizing that age is only a number and for recognizing that there is no stigma to the woman being older than the man. If you have a problem with AMy being older than Henry then you should also have a problem with every action film out there where the MAN is older. If not, then it's a sexist conversation. End of story.


I believe @Certainshades is my new favorite poster. Grin

Very good points, and it is very true that Culture teaches us to think that way (maybe "encourages" is a better word).

Back on topic, I recently watched Leap Year which co-stars Amy Adams. The film was torn apart by movie critics, but Amy gave an absolutely smart and sexy performance. She's one of those actresses who knows the power of a smile, or just the right expressions that can be far more alluring than any amount of nudity can do. We are definitely in for a treat come 2013 and I can't wait!
 
NeoRanger
And frankly, the comments calling Amy "old" in comparison to Henry are sexist.

No they aren't. They're fact. People don't have a problem with her age, but the fact that -as they believe- it shows. I don't personally see it, but it's hardly a discriminatory remark based on Adams' gender.
 
Certainshades

>NeoRanger wrote:


And frankly, the comments calling Amy "old" in comparison to Henry are sexist.

No they aren't. They're fact. People don't have a problem with her age, but the fact that -as they believe- it shows. I don't personally see it, but it's hardly a discriminatory remark based on Adams' gender.


Of course it is. Because only women's faces are judged that carefully for any little line or age mark. Male celebrities like George Clooney or Brad Pitt are never considered "too old" for younger co-stars even if they DO look older. That's something that only happens to women. That is a part of our culture. And it's time we were honest about it and tried to talk about it honestly and frankly.

To say that Amy is older than Cavill is a fact. To imply that the fact that she is older makes her "too old" or to imply that she is "too old" to start a franchise in her mid 30's is a problem is absolutely sexist UNLESS said people also have the same problem with someone like Harrison Ford staring the Star Wars franchise in his late 30's playing opposite a woman who was 14 years his junior.

Or unless one ALSO has a problem with Christian Bale and Anne Hathway sharing the same age difference in Dark Knight Rises as Bat and Cat.

Or unless one ALSO had a problem with Ryan Reynolds being almost a decade older than Blake Lively in Green Lantern.

Or unless one ALSO had a problem with Daniel Craig being paired with every Bond girl in existance and with Olivia Wilde in Cowboys and Aliens.

Or unless one ALSO had a problem with Patrick Dempsey being OLDER than Amy Adads when he played her real world Prince Charming in "Enchanted."

Or unless one ALSO has a problem with Humprey Bogart being decades older than Lauren Bacall and their legendary love affair.

Or unless one had a problem with Brad Pitt being more than a decade older than Angelina Jolie in Mr. and Mrs. Smith and then marrying her and having the 6 kids etc.

Because if one thinks that Amy Adams is "too old" for Henry Cavill then one SHOULD, objectively, also have a problem with every single pairing I listed as there was a similar age difference involved and, in many cases, the age difference was apparent. Frankly, I think it's more than clear in Star Wars that Harrison Ford is 14 years older than Carrie Fisher. I didn't give a crap about it because they had great chemistry but she clearly looks much younger than he does.

One would have to be ignorant to the kinds of dynamics that take place in Hollywood and on the stigma that women face in the entertainment industry and the prejudice that exists against women over the age of 35 to not recognize that there is an element of sexism to this entire discussion.

The term "cougar" is a perfect example of this. Men over the age of 35 do not get called "cougars" when they go after younger women. There is no stigma in that for men. Sure, we might joke and call Hugh Hefner a "dirty old man" but that's an EXTREME example. The average 40 something male faces no stigma in dating or marrying a younger woman. But women in the same position get called cougars.

Personally, I would never guess Amy was over 35. As I said, I'm 28 and I honestly thought was closer to my age. I was stunned when I learned her age. She has gorgeous skin and she is truly just a beautiful woman with great charm.

On the contrary, although I think Henry Cavill is a STUNNING man and I ADORED him on The Tudors....I honestly thought he was older than 28. He was a smoker for a long time. (Not sure if he still is.) And I've always thought that smoking ages you.

Ironically, Henry Cavill was famously paired with a woman much older than him on "The Tudors." His first wife on that show was Gabrielle Anwar---a beautiful actress who is like 12 years older than him. He was in his early 20's when they did love scenes together and honestly I never even noticed the age difference.

Cavill's hottest scenes on the show were with Anwar---a woman who was much older than he was. So we shall see.
 
Certainshades
I believe @Certainshades is my new favorite poster. Grin


That's extremely sweet. But give it time. Smile No, honestly I think one of the best things about forums is that it's ok to agree to disagree.

Very good points, and it is very true that Culture teaches us to think that way (maybe "encourages" is a better word).


Yup. I just think it's important to be aware of it and to try and call it out when we see it. It doesn't mean that men who think that way are "bad" or "hate women" or something. No. But then again, not all sexism is deliberate. Sometimes it's unintentional. And our culture has a way of encouraging young men to grow up thinking like this. It's not right.

Back on topic, I recently watched Leap Year which co-stars Amy Adams. The film was torn apart by movie critics, but Amy gave an absolutely smart and sexy performance. She's one of those actresses who knows the power of a smile, or just the right expressions that can be far more alluring than any amount of nudity can do. We are definitely in for a treat come 2013 and I can't wait!


Well...she's been nude in films. She's not against nudity. She's been topless in a film before. Neither is Cavill. He was naked several times on The Tudors.

I personally don't have a problem with nudity in films so long as it makes sense within the plot of the film. In both Adams and Cavill's cases, it made sense. So it was fine.

I admit that I did not see Leap Year.

I do however agree that Adams is alluring and amazing in the way she performs. What I love most about her is that she commits in such a deep way to whatever she is doing.

Like, as crazy as it sounds, that character that she played in Enchanted? In the hands of another actress it could have come across just like a farce. The whole movie is "winks" at former Disney Princesses but Amy herself NEVER winks. Do you know what I mean? Like...the movie is making jokes but SHE is fully committed and THAT is why I love that movie because she never shows any self-consciouness about just throwing herself in completely and being that character.

I also thought she was amazing in The Fighter. She made me laugh several times over in that movie and I love that despite the fact that she was kind of this lost woman who admitted she had made a ton of mistakes....she had dignity. I really loved that.

I also thought she was sexy and fun in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day and I thought she showed a lot of depth in Sunshine Cleaning.

Needless to say, I think she's going to be a good Lois because I think she commits fully to everything she does with complete abandon.
 
NeoRanger


Not only are you being presumptuous, you also put forth a dogmatic position in the form of an argument. You are trying to blackmail a response favorable to your position, by diverting the subject to the broad spectrum of "Hollywood gender politics", which has been entirely irrelevant to this entire discussion-- and, ironically, Hollywood itself, since Adams was cast anyway.

People think she shows her age. They don't like her next to Cavill. The reason is not by default the archaic misconceptions of what's permissible in male/female relations.
 
sandman1347
Wow! The accusations of sexism are just absurd. She actually is 9 years older than Henry. It's not perception; it's reality! Some people think that it would have been wiser to cast someone Henry's age. Is that such an unreasonable position? This is supposedly the start of a series of movies that will be created over the next several years. I just think that, when Henry is 35 and Amy is 44, things might not quite add up.

I like Amy Adams and think that she is a good actress but I think she was miscast for this role. I do believe that she is the best Lois Lane that has ever been cast but that's not saying much unfortunately.
 
Certainshades
You are trying to blackmail a response favorable to your position, by diverting the subject to the broad spectrum of "Hollywood gender politics", which has been entirely irrelevant to this entire discussion-- and, ironically, Hollywood itself, since Adams was cast anyway.


The gender politics are completely relevant to this discussion.

You are correct that Hollywood itself didn't fall victim to it THIS TIME and neither did Henry Cavill. Henry himself said he thought the age different wasn't an issue and thought it was "extremely odd" that people would even choose to focus on it.

But to say that it's not relevant to this discussion frankly insults my intelligence.

There is no doubt in my mind that no man on this thread who has complained about the age difference would have the same complaint if the situation was reversed and Cavill was the one who was 9 years older.


People think she shows her age. They don't like her next to Cavill. The reason is not by default the archaic misconceptions of what's permissible in male/female relations.


Archaic? Right. Because women are treated by the same standards of men in this country when it comes to beauty, appearance,, aging.

It's not a subjective statement that women over the age of 35 are discriminated against in the industry. It's a fact that can be backed up with data and it's one that intellectual circles are well aware of.

If you honestly think that this conversation about Amy's age would even be happening if SHE were the man...then honestly...I don't know what to say to you.

I understand that you are not a woman and therefore you will never truly understand or experience what it feels like to be in that position. But I would really hope that in the year 2012---most men of any kind of intelligence or education would have the humility to recognize that women are consistently subjected to harsher scrutiny and double standards when it comes to aging and their appearance.

It honestly kind of stuns me that so many men--even TODAY with all the resources for education available---remain ignorant to this kind of thing.
 
Certainshades
Wow! The accusations of sexism are just absurd.


Just a tip for the future...as a man...you are never in a position to tell a woman that her feelings about sexism are not valid. Never.

She actually is 9 years older than Henry. It's not perception; it's reality!


Yeah..I don't see anyone debating her age. I never said she wasn't 9 years older. That was not even close to being my point.

Some people think that it would have been wiser to cast someone Henry's age. Is that such an unreasonable position?


No, it's not an unreasonable opinion as long as that's the way you would feel if the situation was reversed and it was HENRY who was 9 years older.

So I say again....I just listed a huge number of examples above where the MALE lead was several years older---sometimes almost 20 years older.

So I ask you....did you have a problem with the age difference in those films?

Did you have a problem with Harrison Ford being 14 years older than Carrie Fisher in Star Wars and being in his late 30's when he STARTED the franchise?

Do you have a problem with Christian Bale being almost a decade older than Anne Hathaway as Bat and Cat?

Do you have a problem with Ryan Reynods being much older than Blake Lively in the Green Lantern franchise?

Do you have a problem with Brad Pitt being over a decade older than Angelina in Mr. and Mrs. Smith?

Do you have a problem with Clark Gable being significantly older than Vivien Leigh in Gone With the Wind?

Do you have a problem with Daniel Craig being so much older than all of his co-stars in the James Bond franchise?

It's not unreasonable for you to think that a 9 year age difference is too much so long as it's equal across the board. When it becomes a problem is if you hold that viewpoint when the WOMAN is older but don't blink or bat an eye when the MAN is older. It's a cultural problem.

So I assume then that if you think that a 9 year age difference is too much in this case that you have a similar problem with the age differences I listed above. Am I correct? Because using your logic that would have to be my assumption.

This is supposedly the start of a series of movies that will be created over the next several years. I just think that, when Henry is 35 and Amy is 44, things might not quite add up.


So I again...I ask..

Did you think it didn't add up in Return of the Jedi when Harrison Ford was over 40 years old but Carrie Fisher, as Princess Leia was only 27?

Because I would assume that if you have a huge problem with love interests being over 40 in relation to a younger co-star that that would have been an equally big problem for you in the 3rd franchise of that famous movie?

As it stands, I seem to think that most people take no issue with Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher's age difference.

Do you think it won't add up for the 3rd Green Lantern movie (if they ever get there after that crappy first movie) if Ryan Reynolds who is already 35 will probably be over 40 and yet Blake Lively will be much younger?

The bottom line is that there is a double standard. So I have to assume if you have a problem with this age difference that you have an EQUAL problem with all the other examples given. If you do NOT have a problem then it's not exactly difficult to deduce that the problem seems to occur when it's the WOMAN that is older as opposed to the man. Which yes...that is what we call sexism.

Can you honestly tell me that you would even be questioning Amy's age at ALL if Henry was the one how as older? Can you honestly tell me that you scrutinuze the age difference between men and women in all the examples I listed above in the same way that you are talking about this one?

And either way....even if Adams is over 40 in a sequel? I honestly don't give a crap.

I know it might sound insane for a teenager. (I have no idea how old you are but i'd have to assume that you are extremely young if you honestly think that over 40 is old by any means.) I'm 28. I'm nowhere close to 40 yet. But 40 is not this "scary" "old" number. People are still sexy and gorgeous over 40. WOMEN are still sexy and gorgeous over 40 and age is nothing more than a number. It's beyond ridiculous to me the way people talk about Age 40 as if once you hit that age....you're out. Because once again, it only happens to women. No one is going to argue that Brad Pitt should stop playing romantic parts opposite younger love interests now that he's 47. No...that only happens to women. And yes, it's sexism.

Sorry but I think I have to quote Henry Cavill here---a man mature beyond his years, "What an odd thing for people to be concerned about....and I've always been very attracted to older women."

(If you do have a problem with the examples listed above and you can genuinely felt that all the men I listed were just "too old" for their co-stars and it just "didn't match up" then believe me....I'd love to hear it and I would gladly withdraw my objection to this thread. But as it stands, I call it like I see it.)

Edited by Certainshades on 05/01/2012 13:58

 
Lois

>Hypoxic wrote:


>truemiracle12 wrote:


>Lois-Lucy Lane wrote:


She's going to be awesome, her hair color doesn't matter, what matters is how she plays lois.


Thank you! Finally, another fellow believer in Amy! Grin


There are far more than you seem to believe.

You can also add me to the list. Grin
Read my mind
 
Certainshades
I may be one of the few on this site that prefers a softer, pleasant, more likable Lois Lane as apposed to the more harsh and aggressive Erica Durance.


This is such a funny statement to me because it just highlights how subjective this all is. And I don't mean that to criticize you.

It's just that I just totally disagree that a woman has to be "softer" and more stereotypically "pleasant" in order to be "more likeable." I think that it's often pre-disposed stereotypes about what it means to be female that make us think this way.

I would also never characterize Erica Durance as harsh. I thought she was a beautiful woman from head to toe and my husband reguarly drooled over her when we watched Smallville---not just because she played a beautiful Lois but because he thought she was funny and brave and adorable.

This is all subjective. It's just funny to me that we have developed a culture that in order for a woman to seem "more likeable" it means she has to basically tone down the things about herself that are not stereotypically feminine and make herself more 'soft."

In fact, what I have always loved about Lois lane is that in a world where women are constantly told how they are supposed to act---she goes against the norms. In a way, her personality is more aggresive while Clark is more laidback and gentle. It's the ultimate reversal of gender stereotypes which is why they work so well together.

I know it sounds like I don't understand the character of Lois Lane, but I just don't think her brash qualities translate very well to the screen. She just becomes rude and abrasive. Not the kind of girl you want Superman with.


I totally disagree.

I actually think she's a character (much like Clark Kent) that translates BETTER to screen because I think that actresses often have a handle on giving her depth from their own perpsective in ways that male writers often do not.

And it's funny to me that you say that her less traditionally feminine personality makes her "not the kind of girl you would want Superman with."

Except that Superman has been shown repeatedly to respond and to love all the things about Lois that you just criticized. He would never want her to change.

I guess it just strikes me as funny that there remains this stereotype that a man as strong as Superman must also desire a woman that fits society's definition of what it means to be "soft." I always thought the best thing about Lois Lane---and their love story period---was that it was DIFFERENT and it did not replicate cultural gender stereotypes with the personality of the man and woman involved.

It also confuses me because Lois not being "soft" does nothing to change the fact that she's repeatedly brave as hell and the person who stands up for Superman above all other people. She's repeatedly been the person to come through for him and to help him and to be that sounding board and heart for him over and over again.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure a "softer" "less aggressive" woman would ever have the strength to be with a man as strong as Superman. I think it takes an extremely strong-willed woman to be a partner for such a strong man.

That's my opinion though. And I admit that it is heavily influenced by my own taste in women.


Now see...THAT I respect. Because you admit outright that you are biased because you personally prefer softer women.

It's just that clearly...you and Clark Kent have different taste in women.

I would honestly be upset if Lois was portrayed as "soft" or "less aggressive" in this movie and I find it upsetting that women are still faced with this "rude" tagline if they dare to step out of gender roles.

Greg Rucka had an amazing commentary a few years back (not sure if anyone has ever read it and I wish I could find it now) and he talked openly about how it felt there was a sexism involved with people judging Lois for often acting in ways that no one would think twice about if it was a man. It was a very interesting interview.

I would never want Lois Lane to change. If she changed....she would be just like every other generic female character. I'm so glad she's not the stereotypical ingenue.

And I will always think Erica Durance was an incredible Lois Lane. (And my husband agrees.)
 
sandman1347

>Certainshades wrote:


Wow! The accusations of sexism are just absurd.


Just a tip for the future...as a man...you are never in a position to tell a woman that her feelings about sexism are not valid. Never.

She actually is 9 years older than Henry. It's not perception; it's reality!


Yeah..I don't see anyone debating her age. I never said she wasn't 9 years older. That was not even close to being my point.

Some people think that it would have been wiser to cast someone Henry's age. Is that such an unreasonable position?


No, it's not an unreasonable opinion as long as that's the way you would feel if the situation was reversed and it was HENRY who was 9 years older.

So I say again....I just listed a huge number of examples above where the MALE lead was several years older---sometimes almost 20 years older.

So I ask you....did you have a problem with the age difference in those films?

Did you have a problem with Harrison Ford being 14 years older than Carrie Fisher in Star Wars and being in his late 30's when he STARTED the franchise?

Do you have a problem with Christian Bale being almost a decade older than Anne Hathaway as Bat and Cat?

Do you have a problem with Ryan Reynods being much older than Blake Lively in the Green Lantern franchise?

Do you have a problem with Brad Pitt being over a decade older than Angelina in Mr. and Mrs. Smith?

Do you have a problem with Clark Gable being significantly older than Vivien Leigh in Gone With the Wind?

Do you have a problem with Daniel Craig being so much older than all of his co-stars in the James Bond franchise?

It's not unreasonable for you to think that a 9 year age difference is too much so long as it's equal across the board. When it becomes a problem is if you hold that viewpoint when the WOMAN is older but don't blink or bat an eye when the MAN is older. It's a cultural problem.

So I assume then that if you think that a 9 year age difference is too much in this case that you have a similar problem with the age differences I listed above. Am I correct? Because using your logic that would have to be my assumption.

This is supposedly the start of a series of movies that will be created over the next several years. I just think that, when Henry is 35 and Amy is 44, things might not quite add up.


So I again...I ask..

Did you think it didn't add up in Return of the Jedi when Harrison Ford was over 40 years old but Carrie Fisher, as Princess Leia was only 27?

Because I would assume that if you have a huge problem with love interests being over 40 in relation to a younger co-star that that would have been an equally big problem for you in the 3rd franchise of that famous movie?

As it stands, I seem to think that most people take no issue with Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher's age difference.

Do you think it won't add up for the 3rd Green Lantern movie (if they ever get there after that crappy first movie) if Ryan Reynolds who is already 35 will probably be over 40 and yet Blake Lively will be much younger?

The bottom line is that there is a double standard. So I have to assume if you have a problem with this age difference that you have an EQUAL problem with all the other examples given. If you do NOT have a problem then it's not exactly difficult to deduce that the problem seems to occur when it's the WOMAN that is older as opposed to the man. Which yes...that is what we call sexism.

Can you honestly tell me that you would even be questioning Amy's age at ALL if Henry was the one how as older? Can you honestly tell me that you scrutinuze the age difference between men and women in all the examples I listed above in the same way that you are talking about this one?

And either way....even if Adams is over 40 in a sequel? I honestly don't give a crap.

I know it might sound insane for a teenager. (I have no idea how old you are but i'd have to assume that you are extremely young if you honestly think that over 40 is old by any means.) I'm 28. I'm nowhere close to 40 yet. But 40 is not this "scary" "old" number. People are still sexy and gorgeous over 40. WOMEN are still sexy and gorgeous over 40 and age is nothing more than a number. It's beyond ridiculous to me the way people talk about Age 40 as if once you hit that age....you're out. Because once again, it only happens to women. No one is going to argue that Brad Pitt should stop playing romantic parts opposite younger love interests now that he's 47. No...that only happens to women. And yes, it's sexism.

Sorry but I think I have to quote Henry Cavill here---a man mature beyond his years, "What an odd thing for people to be concerned about....and I've always been very attracted to older women."

(If you do have a problem with the examples listed above and you can genuinely felt that all the men I listed were just "too old" for their co-stars and it just "didn't match up" then believe me....I'd love to hear it and I would gladly withdraw my objection to this thread. But as it stands, I call it like I see it.)


Ok, you have all kinds of issues going here that really don't actually pertain to this situation. I don't appreciate the condescension. I happen to be older than you so the teenager comment was kind of a head-scratcher. I could get into a huge argument with you about a lot of the things you've said but I'd rather try to stick to the issue at hand; Amy Adams.

You said that my position that it would have been wiser to cast an actress Henry's age would be reasonable so long as I would feel the same way if the shoe were on the other foot. You then went on to reference Star Wars, Mr. and Mrs. Smith and several other films.

The problem is that you seem to be generalizing while most of us are being specific. You see, the story of Superman is very different from the story of Star Wars. Han Solo is actually supposed to be older than Luke and Leia. Lois Lane, on the other hand, is not supposed to be older than Clark Kent. In every iteration of Superman, Lois has been roughly the same age as Clark. That is why I feel that, having cast Cavill as Clark, they should have cast an actress closer to his age to play Lois. Amy Adams is a talented actress but I think this is not the ideal fit and yes, if the shoe were on the other foot, I would want them to cast a younger male.

On a side note; you really need to look at some of the things you've said. You are projecting and you are being completely unreasonable.
 
Made of Steel
I don't think her age really matters, because she does look a lot younger than she is in my opinon. I know the age difference between Henry and Amy is wider than the one between Margot Kidder and Christopher Reeve, but all I'm concerned about is whether or not she can play the part well, and from what I've seen I believe she can.
[img]http://oi55.tinypic.com/2cg0a2r.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

__

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son."--Jor-El
 
Certainshades
Ok, you have all kinds of issues going here that really don't actually pertain to this situation. I don't appreciate the condescension. I happen to be older than you so the teenager comment was kind of a head-scratcher. I could get into a huge argument with you about a lot of the things you've said but I'd rather try to stick to the issue at hand; Amy Adams.


Your idea that a woman over 40 was "too old" to star as the love interest opposite a younger man in a franchise like this made me think you had to be a teenager. I couldn't imagine anyone who wasn't a teenager having such an odd view about age. If you are actually older than I am, then I find it even more odd. It's extremely, extremely odd to me that someone would feel that way unless they themselves were a teenager. I very rarely meet people over the age of 30 who view age that way.

The problem is that you seem to be generalizing while most of us are being specific.


I'm not generalizing. I listed several specific examples--several of which were from other superhero films. Batman, Green Lantern. Andrew Garfield is older than Emma Stone too but I didn't use that one. Christisn Bale is older than Anne Hathaway etc.

Han Solo is actually supposed to be older than Luke and Leia.


Nowhere in the script did it say that he has to be 11 years older. They weren't looking for an "older" actor by that much. They just happened to really like Harrison Ford and then they cast him accordingly.

Harrison Ford and Karen Allen have over a decade age difference as well. That didn't have to be in the script. And by the 4th film, I can think of a lot of things that "didn't match up" about Indiana Jones and the age difference between them was not one of them.

Lois Lane, on the other hand, is not supposed to be older than Clark Kent.


Actually....she is. She is supposed to be at least a few years older as she is already established at the Daily Planet and has won a pulitzer prize by the time he arrives.

Ironically, on Smallville, Lois was presented as at least 21 years old when she arrived in the 4th season to Clark's 17. The show then retconned her age so that she was only 2 years older than he was probably because Clark was a minor at the time and because they wanted to try and give her an excuse to stay in town. But the initial plan was that she was going to be at least 21 when she met Clark.

One of the goals of this franchise is to present a more realistic look at the Daily Planet and the staff. The bottom line is that the kind of career Lois is supposed to have would not be achieved by a woman under 30. The field is too competitive and those kinds of breaks journalism are earned over time. She is supposed to be the vet to Clark's rookie.

In every iteration of Superman, Lois has been roughly the same age as Clark.


Again...not true. She's often been a few years older than him. Either way, in every iteration of Superman, Supes has worn red shorts as well. But those are updated for the new film.

On a side note; you really need to look at some of the things you've said. You are projecting and you are being completely unreasonable.


I'm not projecting, I'm simply baffled at the way you are judging her age and the fact that it's such a problem for you. In the words of Henry Cavill, "What an odd thing to focus on."

I'm also not being unreasonable. I maintain that this would not even be a concern for some of the men here in any other situation because you have all gotten so used to a culture that makes it acceptable for older men to be paired with much younger love interests but makes it a stigma when it's reversed.

George Clooney recently gave an interview with EW over the Oscar buzz and he had an amazing quote. He basically said that the way Hollywood treated women over 40 baffled him and upset him. He said that Age 40 is really when the really great roles START for men but that women start to be cast out at AGe 40. He said it made him angry. And yes, I think that's all totally relevant to this conversation.

Either way, I think Henry Cavill nailed it. It's an odd thing to focus on and yet I don't see anyone complaining that Anne Hathway is younger than Christian Bale (when canon does not dictate that Catwoman must be much younger than Bruce) and no one complaining that Blakey Lively was too young for Ryan Reynolds or that emma Stone is too young for Andrew Garfield etc. The stigma only seems to be when it's the women who is older.
 
Jump to Forum: