Print Thread
What gave you your start on Superman comics?
MorganEdge
What was it that made start buying and reading the comics? Where they your introduction to Superman?

a young tony curtis
I was taken to see Superman the movie when i was 5 or 6,it was showing again at the local cinema,BOOM,that was me hooked forever.Then saw a supe comic book in the local store and started there,think it was 1985 issue?(also used to buy spidey and hulk early on,then later mainly Batman and Superman).Looking back,it was the flying that probably got me,still does lol.

Hypoxic
My older brother read comics and that was a big influence, but it was also the movie that got me deeply interested. The movie made me want more Superman, but it was the comics that made love Superman.

When my Old Man started taking me to comic shops, and I discovered that he loved comics as a kid, the dye was set.

Man, I love comics. Love 'em.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

a_cunning_disguise
This site really helped me. I, like many people I guess, got into Superman through the Christopher Reeve movies as a kid. I had watched Lois and Clark in my early teens too. I started visiting this site around the time Bryan Singer's video blogs for SR came out but had really focussed on the movie and TV sections.

I had kind of wanted to start reading the comics but had absolutely no idea where to start. I bought The Death Of Superman first on a whim. Then I started using the list at the top of this forum to help me and I've loved what I've found.

What a wonderful world of stories.

copacetic
My father would always bring home second hand comics for me. There would be a lot of Superman in there, but he would also try and bring home Classics Illustrated. Those comics were the reason I actually sat and read the classics like Treasure Island, Moby Dick, etc.

Golddragon71
I really started full time with the Death of Superman in '92 or so. after that I went back and collected everything after Man of Steel

Comicsbloger
I was setting in a waiting room after an asthma attack at 10 years old in 1960 and saw an Action Comics issue with Superman and Lex Luther I read it while waiting for the Doctor and knew I would be reading more the rest is history I am fascinated by the Man of Steel.
Keep the main thing the main thing

jonespaker
I am huge fan of superman tv/movies. Whenever i have bunch of time, i always go with superman movies. But in case i've nothing to watch it superman movies/tv series. I directly go with Superman comic book series.

The Man of Steel1265
The first Superman comic I read was an issue of All Star Superman, it was interesting, but it didn't make me a fan of the character. The comic that did make me a fan was a trade paperback of Superman: Up, Up, And Away!. After that, I was hooked.

King Creole
For me it was obviously the 1st Superman film when my parents took me to the movies in 1978/9. I was totally hooked with the character after that.

I kept in touch with the character through the The Adventures of Superman and Superfriends TV cartoon which were constanly in reruns those days where I lived. But I never got tired of it.

But I didn't started reading comics until years later in the mid 1980's. I think the 1st Superman comic that I bought with my own money and read was either Superman 402 or 403.

Shortly after that the John Byrne's Man of Steel was released and, as they say, the rest is history. It's been a long and fabulous journey these past 30+ years.
You are here for a reason.

Kal-Gel
Whoa, the reply's in this thread make me feel like a toddler in diapers here. Pfft All kidding aside, I remember watching the Christopher Reeve films as a kid but then I fell by the wayside until when I was 14 that I discovered Smallville in reruns over at ABC Family (that long now? ) which garner me interest in the character again as to hunt down the old movies and re-watch them. When Superman Returns came out, my mind was blown away by the sheer complexity and metaphors in the film I couldn't get enough of Superman by this point so I went and jump right in the comics at the time which was right after the Infinite Crisis reboot. And the rest is history as they say.

theagingfanboy
I know exactly what my first exposure to comics was. When I was seven (in 1960) I saw a comic in a spinner rack in a shop window. It had spacement AND dinosaurs on the cover . I was hooked! By the time I had saved pocket money and gone back it had been sold (but there were lots of other comics.....). I never saw another copy of that comic, although I had worked out that it must have been a Space Ranger comic.

A couple of weeks ago at the Bristol Comic-Book Convention I found a copy! It's Tales of the Unexpected #54, Oct 1960. The pose and dialogue on the cover is close to what I remember, but there are aliens on it too.

So, after searching for more than 50 years I've got a copy of the comic which started my hobby. Comics, love 'em.
With great power comes great responsibility.
No Lois, Superman is what I can do, but Clark is who I am.

Roo
My Grandpa took me with him to the barber's shop sometime in the 1960s. While he was having a haircut I picked up a Supoerman comic from the magazine rack and was hooked for life :-)

Hypoxic

>theagingfanboy wrote:

I know exactly what my first exposure to comics was. When I was seven (in 1960) I saw a comic in a spinner rack in a shop window. It had spacement AND dinosaurs on the cover . I was hooked! By the time I had saved pocket money and gone back it had been sold (but there were lots of other comics.....). I never saw another copy of that comic, although I had worked out that it must have been a Space Ranger comic.

A couple of weeks ago at the Bristol Comic-Book Convention I found a copy! It's Tales of the Unexpected #54, Oct 1960. The pose and dialogue on the cover is close to what I remember, but there are aliens on it too.

So, after searching for more than 50 years I've got a copy of the comic which started my hobby. Comics, love 'em.

So, you were right about it being a Space Ranger comic. Nice. That's an awesome cover, actually, what with the aliens actually riding the dinosaurs. I love those old sci-fi comics. The covers were brilliant. Tale of the Unexpected covers were great:

http://dc.wikia.c...ted/Covers

Forbidden Worlds covers were stellar, too:

http://www.coverb...den-worlds

Edited by Hypoxic on 01/06/2011 08:34

_____

Hypoxic

>Roo wrote:

My Grandpa took me with him to the barber's shop sometime in the 1960s. While he was having a haircut I picked up a Supoerman comic from the magazine rack and was hooked for life :-)

Any recollection of which issue it was?
_____

Man_Of_Steel_
I started reading the Superman comics around 1994, With the Adventures of Superman#508. The optimisim of the character sucked me in, and I was a fan for life. He taught me to do the right thing. So, I'm a Superman junkie until I die. And the Christopher Reeve movies only further cemented that love of the character that I have.
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Superman.

theagingfanboy
Thanks for the reply Hypoxic. What I have to do now is figure out what the first Superman comic I read was. I think it could be "The Reversed Super-Powers" from Action #274(1961). I've never seen that one again either. That's next year's target! You can tell I don't buy over the interweb - it's the thrill of the chase and actually finding one in dealers longbox.
With great power comes great responsibility.
No Lois, Superman is what I can do, but Clark is who I am.

Hypoxic

>theagingfanboy wrote:

Thanks for the reply Hypoxic. What I have to do now is figure out what the first Superman comic I read was. I think it could be "The Reversed Super-Powers" from Action #274(1961). I've never seen that one again either. That's next year's target! You can tell I don't buy over the interweb - it's the thrill of the chase and actually finding one in dealers longbox.

Yeah, that's a classic. One of my favourites from the '60s is Action #353 (August 1967).

I believe the first Superman comic I read was Superman #1. It was a reprint, of course, published in 1979, one of those over-sized magazines from DC's Famous First Editions line.
_____

Sven-El
When it comes to Superman comic books, I pretty much grew up with them. They were actually my moms , she started at the John Byrne Man of Steel reboot and went up to the wedding of Clark and Lois , but stopped collecting due durring the Energy Superman thing. When she'd get a new issue, she'd read it and then when she was done reading it, she'd let me read them. Sometimes, she'd even read them to me. Now, I pick up Superman comics on my own!

Now, See, that''s how you get kids into comics... expose them to the stories at a young age and they'll grow to love the character. I'm alredy setting aside a copy of Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1 Guest starring Superman or my own children.
"You're here for a reason. Now I don't know what reason or whose reason but it's not just to score touch downs. "
-Jonathon Kent.
SUPERMAN: THE MOTION PICTURE

UltraWoman
Spam on post #20.

For me we had comics all over the place as a kid but no arcs to speak of so I always had to make up (in my mind) what actually happened before the comic and afterward (most of which I distinctly remember being nowhere near what actually happened when I looked them up later.) My great-uncle used to work at an inking facility so we have everything from Superman to Batman to Hawkgirl, etc. I enjoyed them as a kid but didn't really get into them until recently when I bought the Superman III and IV comics. I guess I'm more event driven if I really really like it. I'm also much more of a "flip through a book to see if it's really worth my time" person which means that unless it's a short event, I don't have much of a pull shelf.

Jump to Forum: