Print Thread
Why is everyone afraid of CGI?
Fulcon
Hey, since Zack Snyder got chosen to direct, many people have remarked that they are worried that 'he uses to much CGI'. This is kind of dumb, because HELLO! This is Superman! CGI is a definite given here! Why are we afraid of too much of it?
You know, the reason I like Superman is because he is an unabashed good guy, not this angsting dude with an anguished past who kills people while angsting.

It's time to show people why Light and Bright Heroes are awesome again.

----------

Your mission: Draw a picture of a crossover between the cast of Superman: Returns and the cast of Smallville.

How would the two cast's interact?

PM me when you have succeeded.

odd
For me, it's the capability of CGI. I can tell when it's being used and so I fall out of the movie. It has to be seamless to not detract.

Hypoxic
Too much CGI is like too much water in your lungs. It sucks.

I'm certain CGI will be used, but I hope they also stick to green screens and the sort, and keep the CGI to a minimum.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

FlashGordon
Simply put, the film shouldn't be animated.

Edited by FlashGordon on 01/02/2011 20:43

Fulcon
As a lover of animated films, I am going to tell you to do something nasty to yourself that I can't say on this reletively family-friendly board.
You know, the reason I like Superman is because he is an unabashed good guy, not this angsting dude with an anguished past who kills people while angsting.

----------

Your mission: Draw a picture of a crossover between the cast of Superman: Returns and the cast of Smallville.

odd
Fulcon wrote:
As a lover of animated films, I am going to tell you to do something nasty to yourself that I can't say on this reletively family-friendly board.

I said almost the same thing. I found myself slightly angered by the comment! LMAO! I love animated films too, but can't stand it when I can tll it's CGI in a non-animated film.

ChurchDoesTex
Although I loved 300, I hope the new Supes film doesn't utilize the same soft-focus look.
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
http://www.seekin...perity.com

FlashGordon

Well, thank you ever so kindly for that wonderful insight. Seems you entirely missed my point. By definition of "film" I mean a motion picture, involving actors. Superman is not going to be animated, correct? I think we all know that by now.

I, personally, find CGI to be a primarily cheap way of making films. I do not like Avatar, which you most likely loved, and other such things. Superman is better than all that.

I think that should clear things up for you, rather nicely.

Fulcon
#1: An animated feature can't be considered a film? -_-

#2: Avatar is an insult to my intelligence.

#3: Yes, it did.

----------

djintheuk
I'm of the view if the CGI takes me out of the story it is distracting and not a good storytelling method. If it is seemless and it contributes to the story it does not bother me.

FlashGordon
#1: An animated feature can't be considered a film? -_-

It can be considered an animated film, yes. This flick is not animated. I don't understand the problem.

sbeamish
Well, personally, I usually can't tell when something is CGI, so I kinda' love it.

As far as losing my "suspension of disbelief," I simply don't let it happen. You know, when a guy is flying through the air or lifting land masses that are bigger than most cities, I'm going to toy with the thought that maybe this isn't happening for real. Still, I don't let that ruin the show for me.

Whogaman
CGI does have a place in motion picture making. Sometimes it would be impractical to build a giant set, and CGI done well is convincing, but I don't loke it when it comes to animating people. It just looks fake.

There has been talk of using CGI to bring back actors from the past to appear in modern movies. But the technology is not up to the challenge. And I think if they use CGI in TNM, it will look too fake when it comes to a human figure.

If you look at some of the CGI work in Superman Returns, some of it just looked bad. So I think that any CGI that is used should be used as little as possible.

Peace Whoga
[img]https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1543679_624694037566834_909789152_n.jpg?oh=448b277b52c10f94d290f54275a18dc1&oe=52D8C0FD[/img]=====================================
"Like the only real magic -- The magic of knowledge."

Lois
There should be a minimum of CGI to a certain degree in films. Take Star Wars for instance, no CGI in those days and the special effects still hold up to this day. I also like the idea of an actor in makeup as the villain. Makes it more realistic for me. Didn't like the Hulk because the Hulk in that movie just didn't come across to me as realistic.
Read my mind

JR1989
I don't want a CGI superman I want to see henry cavill as superman not a cartoon superman.
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"

James-El
The only thing that classifies as 'scaring me' about the CGI issue is, I hope they do not Dr. Manhattan Henry's A$$. He should work the hell out & gain a few kilos of muscle.

The flying should be a mixture of green screen and Henry on wires. If possible do a TDK style of flying, reinforced wires set up on multiple buildings and actors/stuntmen zipping through the sky. (Opening scene to TDK)

The fighting/action should be as much live-action as possible, that why I like the look of BB, TDK and Transformers. The destruction is real, cars and sets being blown up.

1. So don't Dr Manhattan Superman
2. Keep all the action real and by that I mean the actors performance on screen along with CGI enhanced destruction and backdrops.
3. Refrain from using complete 3D CG models of the actors, for the action. An exception would be:

Supes is punched in the face, camera zooms out and we see Supes crashing through multiple buildings. IT OKAY to use a complete CG model there, big approval from me.

That's what I would like Cool
Superman: "I'm for everyone"

smallville-211
I personally would of enjoyed an entirely cgi movie. alot more freedom then using both live action and cgi.

Lois
smallville-211 wrote:
I personally would of enjoyed an entirely cgi movie. alot more freedom then using both live action and cgi.

All CGI Superman movie you say?

hmmm.... interesting thought Wink
Read my mind

Utah13
I think its because CGI is a great tool. but when it is used more than needed it "imo" can destroy the believability of a film. Like it did for me in the last couple Star Wars movie's.

It will be a fine line in a movie, where the main character flys. I think Nolan films in the past have been a good blend of CGI/reality. So lets not get carried away.

Jump to Forum: