Print Thread
Henry Cavill cast as Superman
JR1989
http://www.showbi...mself.html

lol
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"
 
tnekkralc
Cool interview:

http://herocomple...n-red-son/

whoops, just saw this was posted on the homepage Smile

Edited by tnekkralc on 21/11/2011 19:35

 
A6K


Well I'm happy for the guy, he set a goal and achieved it. I'm sure it will fade in time but there's nothing wrong with it.

I can't believe I became a Ranger Qualified Infantry Officer in the U.S. Army. Thinking back to when I was a private, I didn't think I was good enough to do it, but I was. I stare at my Ranger Tab or when I get saluted by a private and think to my self "Wow I can't believe it, I used to be that guy, how did I get here?"

Set a goal, achieve it and get giddy about it.
 
JR1989
http://www.digita...-kent.html
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"
 
truemiracle12
I have a question for my fellow Superman fans. Do you guys think they'll incorporate the classic ripping open of his shirt to reveal his "S" at some point in Man of Steel? It's something I haven't really thought about up until now, but I would think they would. Thoughts?
 
Lois-Lucy Lane

>truemiracle12 wrote:


I have a question for my fellow Superman fans. Do you guys think they'll incorporate the classic ripping open of his shirt to reveal his "S" at some point in Man of Steel? It's something I haven't really thought about up until now, but I would think they would. Thoughts?


I hope so, but we don't know the story, Clark might not become a reporter until the end of Man of steel.
I have always thought how does clark wear the superman suit under his work suit, where does he put the boots and cape?
 
truemiracle12

>Lois-Lucy Lane wrote:


>truemiracle12 wrote:


I have a question for my fellow Superman fans. Do you guys think they'll incorporate the classic ripping open of his shirt to reveal his "S" at some point in Man of Steel? It's something I haven't really thought about up until now, but I would think they would. Thoughts?


I hope so, but we don't know the story, Clark might not become a reporter until the end of Man of steel.
I have always thought how does clark wear the superman suit under his work suit, where does he put the boots and cape?


I've always wondered about that also, Lois. Especially the cape, since it's going to be rather large in Man of Steel. I'm really hoping we get a new official picture from the production before the end of the year. Fingers crossed on that one.
 
Hypoxic

>Lois-Lucy Lane wrote:


>truemiracle12 wrote:


I have a question for my fellow Superman fans. Do you guys think they'll incorporate the classic ripping open of his shirt to reveal his "S" at some point in Man of Steel? It's something I haven't really thought about up until now, but I would think they would. Thoughts?


I hope so, but we don't know the story, Clark might not become a reporter until the end of Man of steel.


I don't think there's an inherent correlation between the shirt ripping and Clark being a reporter.

Anyway, I would suppose they could do it, but it's not necessity.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
A6K
Well the whole suit under street clothes thing may be done and over with. Maybe. In the last issue of Superman Clark has his sleeves rolled up and his collar unbuttoned, but he goes in the bushes and comes out in the suit.

Is this part of the whole law suit? I was under the impression that the armor was a because of the law suit in a round about way. Because the original suit was tights so DC/Warner was forced to change that. IDK.

I tend to think they are going the same direction for the movie. It looks like a tight fitting armor made of small plates with gauntlets on the sleeves, the designs on the back and legs. I may be way wrong on this, it's just my speculation.

But I tend to think ripping the shirt open has become too cliche. When I saw Spiderman and he ripped his shirt open several people whispered "like Superman"
But then again people almost expect it.

Edited by A6K on 05/12/2011 18:52

 
A6K
I tend to think that I use "tend to think" too much.
 
The Last Kryptonian
Is it just me or does Henry Cavill look a lot like Tom Welling in some pics?
 
truemiracle12

>The Last Kryptonian wrote:


Is it just me or does Henry Cavill look a lot like Tom Welling in some pics?


He reminds me more of Christopher Reeve than Tom Welling.
 
sandman1347
The whole ripping the shirt open thing needs to go. It's too cartoony and makes it a bit too silly. Someone who can move at super-human speed can just carry the costume around in a briefcase or backpack and change really fast when the time comes.

Wearing the suit under your clothes would be ridiculous. The cape would create a bulge in your clothing that would definitely draw attention to you. Also there would be a substantial risk of being caught in some other way. What if someone spills coffee on you or something else happens to make you have to remove your shirt? You would instantly be in a bad situation.

Wearing the suit under his clothes is ridiculous actually.
 
Daki

>tnekkralc wrote:


Cool interview:

http://herocomple...n-red-son/

whoops, just saw this was posted on the homepage Smile


Thanks for posting that. Good reaadWink
 
Hypoxic

>sandman1347 wrote:


The whole ripping the shirt open thing needs to go. It's too cartoony and makes it a bit too silly. Someone who can move at super-human speed can just carry the costume around in a briefcase or backpack and change really fast when the time comes.

Wearing the suit under your clothes would be ridiculous. The cape would create a bulge in your clothing that would definitely draw attention to you. Also there would be a substantial risk of being caught in some other way. What if someone spills coffee on you or something else happens to make you have to remove your shirt? You would instantly be in a bad situation.

Wearing the suit under his clothes is ridiculous actually.


That may be true, but the whole idea of a super powerful alien protecting the world is pretty ridiculous, too, when you break it all down. Pfft
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
copacetic
The shirt ripping thing is pretty iconic but yeah, when you think about it, pretty stupid. That cape would never work under all those clothes, and one thing I've always wondered was, does he wear his boots under his shoes and socks?! That part never made sense. I don't know if they'll ever go so far as to say that he carries his stuff in a pouch in his cape, as they explained during the Silver Age comics, but I doubt it.
 
sandman1347

>Hypoxic wrote:


>sandman1347 wrote:


The whole ripping the shirt open thing needs to go. It's too cartoony and makes it a bit too silly. Someone who can move at super-human speed can just carry the costume around in a briefcase or backpack and change really fast when the time comes.

Wearing the suit under your clothes would be ridiculous. The cape would create a bulge in your clothing that would definitely draw attention to you. Also there would be a substantial risk of being caught in some other way. What if someone spills coffee on you or something else happens to make you have to remove your shirt? You would instantly be in a bad situation.

Wearing the suit under his clothes is ridiculous actually.


That may be true, but the whole idea of a super powerful alien protecting the world is pretty ridiculous, too, when you break it all down. Pfft

Ok, I'm going to address this. I'm not really focusing on your comment because I know you were kind of kidding around but there is a general practice that I'd really like to address.

A lot of times, when some one suggests that they should make an alteration to Superman in the name of believability or plausibility, they get that response. "Well the story of a high powered alien protecting Earth isn't believable or plausible anyway". As if that means that leaving ridiculous things in the plot or in the film world is ok.

Yes; this is a far-fetched story that forces you to use your imagination but that doesn't just mean that anything goes. Why stop at having him rip open his shirt? Why not have him spew rainbows out of his nostrils? Oh, that's right, because it would be ridiculous!

There's nothing wrong with trying to make a Superman movie that isn't ridiculous!
 
Hypoxic

>sandman1347 wrote:


>Hypoxic wrote:


>sandman1347 wrote:


The whole ripping the shirt open thing needs to go. It's too cartoony and makes it a bit too silly. Someone who can move at super-human speed can just carry the costume around in a briefcase or backpack and change really fast when the time comes.

Wearing the suit under your clothes would be ridiculous. The cape would create a bulge in your clothing that would definitely draw attention to you. Also there would be a substantial risk of being caught in some other way. What if someone spills coffee on you or something else happens to make you have to remove your shirt? You would instantly be in a bad situation.

Wearing the suit under his clothes is ridiculous actually.


That may be true, but the whole idea of a super powerful alien protecting the world is pretty ridiculous, too, when you break it all down. Pfft

Ok, I'm going to address this. I'm not really focusing on your comment because I know you were kind of kidding around but there is a general practice that I'd really like to address.

A lot of times, when some one suggests that they should make an alteration to Superman in the name of believability or plausibility, they get that response. "Well the story of a high powered alien protecting Earth isn't believable or plausible anyway". As if that means that leaving ridiculous things in the plot or in the film world is ok.

Yes; this is a far-fetched story that forces you to use your imagination but that doesn't just mean that anything goes. Why stop at having him rip open his shirt? Why not have him spew rainbows out of his nostrils? Oh, that's right, because it would be ridiculous!

There's nothing wrong with trying to make a Superman movie that isn't ridiculous!


It all really comes down to the degree to which you're willing to suspend your disbelief. I can suspend mine for Superman's suit under his clothes because it's a trifle compared to what else I have to suspend by disbelief for in the mythos. I couldn't suspend it for rainbows shooting out of his nose because that isn't the nature of the character. If a character was developed that could shoot rainbows out his nose, you'd have to suspend your disbelief to enjoy it. Ultimately, if you're willing to suspend disbelief for something as ridiculous as a flying alien, something as trivial and used for the sole purpose of the audience as the shirt ripping seems like a piece of cake.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor
 
suttie7
I can understand people's criticism of it because it wouldn't be practical to wear a suit with boots and a cape under your daily planet garb. But having said that, I'd be pretty disappointed if the movie didn't contain a shirt ripping scene. I believe its iconic and one of the things Superman is most famous for..instantly recognisable worldwide. I have seen, over my many years, many satirical cartoons in respected newspapers regarding sports and politics with someone who has done something awesome ripping their shirt open, which is the obvious reference to Superman. If we lose that, I'll be sad.

On a lighter note, the quote from above..."Why not have him spew rainbows out of his nostrils" made me think that maybe they should go the "Braveheart" route of "Fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse." ??? Smile
His name is Kal-El. He will call himself Clark Kent, but the world will know him as Superman.
 
sandman1347

>Hypoxic wrote:


>sandman1347 wrote:


>Hypoxic wrote:


>sandman1347 wrote:


The whole ripping the shirt open thing needs to go. It's too cartoony and makes it a bit too silly. Someone who can move at super-human speed can just carry the costume around in a briefcase or backpack and change really fast when the time comes.

Wearing the suit under your clothes would be ridiculous. The cape would create a bulge in your clothing that would definitely draw attention to you. Also there would be a substantial risk of being caught in some other way. What if someone spills coffee on you or something else happens to make you have to remove your shirt? You would instantly be in a bad situation.

Wearing the suit under his clothes is ridiculous actually.


That may be true, but the whole idea of a super powerful alien protecting the world is pretty ridiculous, too, when you break it all down. Pfft

Ok, I'm going to address this. I'm not really focusing on your comment because I know you were kind of kidding around but there is a general practice that I'd really like to address.

A lot of times, when some one suggests that they should make an alteration to Superman in the name of believability or plausibility, they get that response. "Well the story of a high powered alien protecting Earth isn't believable or plausible anyway". As if that means that leaving ridiculous things in the plot or in the film world is ok.

Yes; this is a far-fetched story that forces you to use your imagination but that doesn't just mean that anything goes. Why stop at having him rip open his shirt? Why not have him spew rainbows out of his nostrils? Oh, that's right, because it would be ridiculous!

There's nothing wrong with trying to make a Superman movie that isn't ridiculous!


It all really comes down to the degree to which you're willing to suspend your disbelief. I can suspend mine for Superman's suit under his clothes because it's a trifle compared to what else I have to suspend by disbelief for in the mythos. I couldn't suspend it for rainbows shooting out of his nose because that isn't the nature of the character. If a character was developed that could shoot rainbows out his nose, you'd have to suspend your disbelief to enjoy it. Ultimately, if you're willing to suspend disbelief for something as ridiculous as a flying alien, something as trivial and used for the sole purpose of the audience as the shirt ripping seems like a piece of cake.

I agree with most of what you said.

The thing is, I disagree with your notion that the suit under his clothes is easier to believe than the flying alien himslef. The universe is a large place. I'm sure that somewhere in it, there are beings with immense power. Now them actually looking exactly like us and sending an infant here is a major stretch but yout get my point.

A man wearing a form fitting suit with a cape under his clothes every day is harder to believe because that would basically mean that no one in the world notices the strange bulges in his clothing on a daily basis. What about during the summer when it's short sleeve weather? Putting the suit under his clothes really makes no sense at all and it would actually make things harder for him. It would be much easier to carry it in a bag or briefcase and use his speed to change really fast. This would actually provide him with a place to stash his clothes instead of just leaving them in phone booths and on roof tops (don't you ever wonder about how often he has lost his wallet?).

Yeah, I'm kind of strange because in many ways, I find Superman to be more plausible than Batman. American society would never allow Batman to exist. They would track him down and stop him.
 
Jump to Forum: