Print Thread
Would Superman III be better with classic villains?
MorganEdge
Here's an idea I've been discussing with some pals in college. Picture Superman III exactly as it is, except that you change via overdubbing or something Richard Pryor character's name from Gus Gorman to Winslow Schott aka Toyman or Oswald Loomis aka Prankster, etc... Also picture Robert Vaughns character's name form Ross Webster to Lex Luthor, Moxie Mannheim or Morgan Edge. etc.... how much would that change the film?

Hypoxic
Not very much. Richard Pryor would still be in it, and Lois Lane would not.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

JR1989
Superman 3 was good but not as great as 1 and 2.
We can't change the past.
Unless you have time machine.

Edited by JR1989 on 30/01/2011 08:14

"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"

MorganEdge
CLOIS1989 wrote:
Superman 3 was good but not as great as 1 and 2.

I totally agree with you
However I keep hearing this complaint about coming up with new villains from nowhere instead of someone from Supes' rogue gallery (i.e. Bizarro, Brainiac, Metallo, etc...), well the quickest way to solve it is to overdub some passages where Gus Gorman is mentioned and have some voice actors say "Toyman" or Prankster" or even "Emil Hamilton". Of course it wouldn't completly rescue a very flawed film but it would cut some losses with relatively small effort.

JR1989
Superman is better with classic villains from the comic books.
Hopefully they will be in the new movies.
"You will give the people of earth an Ideal to strive towards, they'll race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall but in time they will join you in the sun, in time you will help them accomplish wonders"

Lois
It would have been better with a classic villain and more of Lois Lane. Out of all the four movies with Chris Reeve this is the one that I liked the least.
Read my mind

Pravus
Superman III was too campy, right from the opening.

The villians were one dimensional sterotypes and the Gus Goreman character was just very, very bad.

To make Gus Goreman work all the other characters would have to be, well, morons.

The concept of synthetic Kryptonite and the effect it had on Superman was great. This could have been the whole movie with the right villian, one from the comics.

Even Mxyzptlk would have worked better.

AKalel
actually i like the idea if richard was one of those characters and even vaugin and also lana. this being said some of the stuff was dumb. some of those a) have the secret lair in the grand canyon, has vera be a poor mans or should i say poor womans kind of brainac, have pryor repgrogam a satelite in the attempt to destroy coffee crops and last and not lease creating kryptonite that has tobacco as a secret ingredient. i am all in favor of not havingtop vilains in every super hero movie just give them a good look and origin. also it seems like in alot of superman movies when someone wants to stop or slow him down they either kdnap someone close to superman or whip out a chunk of krytponite i think it would be neat somehow with zach sydner doing the new movie and his does for lack of a better term more fantasy kind of movies if he could in someway have a magica element and how that can effect superman in the movie even if its a little bit. heck maybe have mxy make a small appearence somehow.

UK_Kal-El
3 and 4 are poor,a real let down in the CR movies,lester killed them for me.
you take reeve out of them two films you get two straight to dvd or as in them times vhs movies.
the first movie and the donner cut 2 are the best supes films imo.
SR wasnt a bad film,i kinda see that as supes 3.
i cant wait to see how snyder remakes the franchise,i really hope its similar to the recent batman films,i think them two are the best bat films ever done.
kinda off topic i know.sorry.Smile
THE WORLD NEEDS SUPERMAN

Zod Lombard
It would take more than classic characters to make "Superman III" good.

Aside from the Smallville scenes and Annette O'Toole's portrayl of Lana Lang, "Superman III" was godawful!

Way too campy. That opening slapstick sequence is so embarrassing to watch. Thanks for nothing, Richard Lester.
Superman vs. Darkseid
http://www.youtub...zFsxSH8fUA

Mark Morgan
Actually, Superman III was originally supposed to have 2 classic villians in it. Illya Salkind wrote a plot outline that involved Brainiac, Mr. Myxzptlk, AND Supergirl.

Reportedly, the outline was never developed into a script because the execs at WB thought that the movie going audience wouldn't be interested in seeing characters with a long history that would have to be incorporated into the film.

The outline itself is, well, it's not great. It takes a lot of liberties and I do mean A LOT OF THEM! I could tell you all about it, but as luck (and my natural sense of self-promotion would have it) I have the whole outline posted on a blog article I wrote sometime ago.

You can check it out here:

http://alonefancr...have-been/

bowerpowers
I Agree, Webster = Luthor, Gorman = Prankster, Massive Computer = Brainiac and twisted Evil Superman = Bizaro

They could probally remake S3 as the new movie if they did it right

AKalel
According to some reports Evil Supes in early drafts was to be a Bizarro but when his origin was created they knew that would not work so it was trashed so in Supes 4 the first clone Lex creates was to be a Bizarro but afraid people would accuse them of copying themselves it was changed.

suttie7
I think you could take half an hour out of SIII and it would be a better film. The half hour would consist of opening credits scene and Gorman most of the time he is on screen. Why spend 10mins with Gorman is Smallville talking through the door to Brad so he can get in and make the green man fight with the red man at a set of traffic lights.
I think SIII had its moments and could have been half decent if it wasnt a comedy and was actually a SUPERMSM MOVIE!!!! I liked the fire rescue, I liked Smallville and I loved good supes v bad supes. I think its better than Superman IV though, and I am surprised some people think Superman IV is better than SIII, because to me SIV is purely painful aside from the one scene where Supes and Lex are on screen together.
His name is Kal-El. He will call himself Clark Kent, but the world will know him as Superman.

King Creole
I hated all the comedy crap that came with it. That's thanks to Lester, which is his style. The Evil Superman vs Good Superman was a highlight of the movie, I would say it the best scene of the whole film. After that, it just gets boring.

I'm in the very minority here who enjoys more Superman IV than SIII. Superman IV still got its good parts. I especially liked when Superman went to the United Nation and adress the leader of the world. That was a very emotional scene. That's what Superman would be doing if he truly exist.

BTW Were the first Bizarro scenes ever released? I don't think they were included in the rerelease of 2006, and now in 2011. Anybody knows?
You are here for a reason.

NoRaphael

>Zod Lombard wrote:

It would take more than classic characters to make "Superman III" good.

Aside from the Smallville scenes and Annette O'Toole's portrayl of Lana Lang, "Superman III" was godawful!

The Smallville Scenes, Evil Superman, and Lana were good.

Less Richard Pryor (a good comedian though), a little more Lois, and maybe a classic villain would have made the movie better.
Cool
HEYYYY!!!!!!!!

Frown
hey

Shock
AHHHHHHHHHEEEEYYYYYY!!!!

Otisville
Superman 3-4 strayed too far from the formula. It was too comedy filled. (the fighting traffic signal).

Hypoxic

>King Creole wrote:

BTW Were the first Bizarro scenes ever released? I don't think they were included in the rerelease of 2006, and now in 2011. Anybody knows?

I know you posted this months ago but I just noticed it now. Yes, those scenes from IV were released as bonus material on the Ultimate Collection. They're just as goofy - and not the good Three Stooges kind of goofy - as the rest of the movie.

If you have the Ultimate Collection you can find the scenes on the Superman IV disc. If not, I imagine you'd be able to find them on Youtube.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Jump to Forum: