Print Thread
Comic versions of the movies
scarecroe
I have comic book adaptations of Superman IV and Superman Returns. Did they ever make them for Superman: The Movie, II and III?

I've tried searching for them, but the keywords don't lend themselves well to helpful results.

tarzan1941
scarecroe wrote:
I have comic book adaptations of Superman IV and Superman Returns. Did they ever make them for Superman: The Movie, II and III?

I've tried searching for them, but the keywords don't lend themselves well to helpful results.

I picked up the comic for Superman III at a used book store for $0.50. Take a look on Ebay for it, if you are interested.

As for Superman and Superman II, I am un-certain. I wouldn't be surprised if they had or had not either way. And if you are interested, I think they made one for Supergril from 1984. If memory serves me right, I ran across one on Ebay awhile back.

Mr Maczaps
I recall looking into this myself, and I'm pretty sure that I read that they did NOT do comic adaptations for Superman 1 & 2... However, I picked up 2 oversize (treasury sized) Superman 1 & 2 movie comics... They weren't exactly adaptations but I thought they were great.... I don't have any for sale unfortunately.

Superman 3 & 4 did have comics, but the only place I've seen them is at Mile High Comics.... I might have 2 copies of S3... I can check if you'd like, or if you are interested in anything else I have a HUGE list (follow the link in my sig)... take care. Good luck hunting.

Chiptooth
There were never any print adaptations of the first two films, and we have Mario Puzo to thank for that. This explanation (as posted on SupermanCinema) is the only one I've ever been able to find (and is corroborated in SUPERMAN VS. HOLLYWOOD):
Puzo's clause in his contract stated that should any complete adaptation of his "Superman" material appear in printed form, without his permission or blessings, he would be granted a huge legal stipend. While the contests and the "Making of Superman" projects would continue, this would lay to rest both the Anthony Cleary novelization and the DC Comics adapation. Frantic to get any film-related products on the market in time for the film, Warner Books commissioned DC Comics writer/editor Elliott S. Maggin to write an original novel "Superman: Last Son of Krypton". DC Comics also prepared a giant film magazine on the making of the movie, as well as an inspired comics miniseries, "The World of Krypton", about the life of Jor-El.

http://jochimus.deviantart.com/

Mr Maczaps
Chiptooth wrote:
There were never any print adaptations of the first two films, and we have Mario Puzo to thank for that. This explanation (as posted on SupermanCinema) is the only one I've ever been able to find (and is corroborated in SUPERMAN VS. HOLLYWOOD):
Puzo's clause in his contract stated that should any complete adaptation of his "Superman" material appear in printed form, without his permission or blessings, he would be granted a huge legal stipend. While the contests and the "Making of Superman" projects would continue, this would lay to rest both the Anthony Cleary novelization and the DC Comics adapation. Frantic to get any film-related products on the market in time for the film, Warner Books commissioned DC Comics writer/editor Elliott S. Maggin to write an original novel "Superman: Last Son of Krypton". DC Comics also prepared a giant film magazine on the making of the movie, as well as an inspired comics miniseries, "The World of Krypton", about the life of Jor-El.

Good call Chiptooth.

scarecroe
Ah, that makes sense. Just think, how great would it be if the two movies were adapted today? I'd say imagine Gary Frank doing the artwork, but I'd rather save him for original projects with Superman. They could even fix the Superman II script by taking the best parts of that movie (I'm not a 100% fan of either Lester's or Donner's versions).

Mr Maczaps
I'd rather just see good new material rather than an adaptation of Superman 1 & 2.... but if they were going to do that, lets have the original screen play from when both movies were better connected....

copacetic
I'd say the current origin series Secret Origin is as close as we'll get to a comic adaptation of the first 2 Christopher Reeve movies. The art has Kal-El looking exactly like Reeve, the designs of Krypton are close to the movie as well. There are plenty of references to the first 2 movies in the series.

Jump to Forum: