Print Thread
Drop The Red Undies For New Film?
adam_wilde2310
I think that the character is too recognizable and too iconic to change anything about the design!

Have you seen Tim Burton's early Supposed Superman Designs, they are too far away from the original design.... (p.s. Don't know if these images are real film design, BUT THEY ARE NOT GOOD!)

[img]http://www.inewscatcher.com/timages/ad9c5923f7aa5a48d104412801b4546d.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
NO RED UNDERWEAR = WRONG

[img]http://joyhog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/nic-cage-superman-burton.png[/img] is not a valid Image.
You See. You See. Your Stupid Minds. Stupid. Stupid!

- Dudley Manlove - Plan 9 from Outer Space

superdupe6934
I've never understood why everyone has such a problem with the red trunks. They don't really look like something from the Fruit of the Loom and they help to break up all that blue nicely. For Batman in film, he's never really had a spandex look to his uniform since the days of Tim Burton. He always wears full body armor and the trunks just don't mesh with it. Plus he tends to drape himself in his cape so often that you don't really find yourself critiquing his uniform that much.

I've always thought that a funny way to explain the trunks would be that Martha had some left over fabric (boots or cape, take your pick) and would be insistant on not wasting any material

"There we go Clark, you're all set!"

"This looks really nice mom but what's with the shorts?"

"I had left over material and you need more than a belt to break up all that blue."

"But I think I'll look weird!"

"I think the bad guys are gonna worry more about the six foot three mystery man flying after them than what he's wearing when he does it!"

Clark grumbles begrudgingly, tries on suit checks the mirror

"You know, I think you're right mom. I mean the idea sounds silly, but it really does work!"

"Don't ever doubt your mother."Grin

Edited by superdupe6934 on 09/07/2010 13:23

Kal-El85
I think the look of the character can be updated to reflect more modern tastes w/o loosing the overall iconic look of the character. If you want people to take the character seriously in a modern context on the big screen the under-roos have to go.

Edited by Kal-El85 on 16/07/2010 11:28

redcapemr
I like the idea ...

superjosh34
adam_wilde2310 wrote:
I think that the character is too recognizable and too iconic to change anything about the design!

Have you seen Tim Burton's early Supposed Superman Designs, they are too far away from the original design.... (p.s. Don't know if these images are real film design, BUT THEY ARE NOT GOOD!)

[img]http://www.inewscatcher.com/timages/ad9c5923f7aa5a48d104412801b4546d.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
NO RED UNDERWEAR = WRONG

[img]http://joyhog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/nic-cage-superman-burton.png[/img] is not a valid Image.

ok, that movie woulda been craptastical, but don't criticize it unfairly. the top image is an alternate suit, Burton wanted Doomsday to kill Supes and then have the eradicator bring him back and transform itself into a suit that would allow Supes to have powers. I'm pretty sure the top one is genuine, but I dont know about the bottom one, tho it could be.
--Josh--
Wink

Artemis
You know...I think my heart would want the old suit just the way it was meant to be and originally was. But times (heroes) were so different back then...think if a hero came on the scene now...what would we expect? Would this work? Comics ware different, and lets face it...things translate differently on paper than in film. Is why crossovers are called adaptations.
We want superman to be accepted by a generation that doesn't really know him. Not like we do. They do not have a "set in stone" idea in their heads like we do. Campy doesn't sell they way it once did.
I think brief-free suit would work if it were subtle. As a matter of fact, anyone remember the Greatest American Hero? I know, it sounds like a stretch...but revisit that suit. I think a tech-advanced Supes version of that suit would work and not really offend those loyal to the old suit. You might not even notice them missing. And I also think that its one way the rest of the suit as we all love it would be able to stay the same. Please consider looking at old images of GAH.
~Artemis

Artemis
PS. Find video...see the suit in action. That colored seam breaking up the bottom of what looks like along tank makes a big difference....and typo correction, comics ARE different..not ware, lol.
~Artemis

The Red-Blue Blur
Also: That was Tim Burton's idea! Both of those are horrible designs for Superman! Your saying that if you put the red underwear on Superman in those pictures that it would look good... No. In fact, the red underwear in those pictures make it look worst.

7heBoss
I like the suit the way it is. However, I'm not completely again the idea of changing it because I am sure hollywood has some amazing that costume designers that would do a good job updating the design without completely destroying the original concept. I don't like most of the fan made costumes though. The only fan-made costume that I have ever seen that I actually kind of liked was this one

[img]http://fanartexhibit.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/superman_rebooted.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Edited by 7heBoss on 21/07/2010 03:22

foxmulder241
I think it's bad idea to try to change a hero's costume it fails most of the time most must remember the electric/ice blue suit from the mid 90s which didn't last, A classic shouldn't be changed

damz-el
I find it interesting that nobody had real complaints about the redesign of the emblem (ie..getting rid of the bulb at the end of the S) and yet ppl are so fascinated about his underpants Angry The Dark Knight???

Edited by damz-el on 23/07/2010 03:18

sup, sup and away.......Guinness is good!!

Supereyes
adam_wilde2310 wrote:

Oh God! Did you have to show that again? I remember staying at the hospital for two weeks after seeing that photo.

Looking at it again....

Aghh! No!... *dies*

It's worse than the first pic. I was thinking if Chris Nolan directed Superman, how would he do it? Obviously, he has made quite a few changes in his Batman films. I wondered if he directed Superman, would he remove the underwear? The underwear is cheesey, but I can't see his suit without it. If he just has a yellow belt, not sure. Maybe they can just find a way to make it look more like trunks.

I completely disagree though that Superman looks outdated. I will say that I can agree that, to many people, Superman is no longer considered apart of the mainstream superhero society. Because of Superman Returns' huge embarassment and representation of Superman, Superman could not compare with today's superhero movies, Spider-Man, Batman and so on.

I had expected, because of Singer's background, he directed X-Men for God sakes, I thought he would have made Superman a little more comparable to the rest of the superheroes. Alot of ignorant people have always said Superman is lame, but the truth is, he's not. Unfortunately, the movie really did represent to what non-Superman fans have always thought of Superman: lame. Thanks, Singer! Angry

One of the few things Singer may have done right was by keeping Superman's same material, including the underwear.

I don't see Superman going without his underwear in this movie. The first rule in filmmaking is "Never f--k with a classic." Removing the underwaer would be destroying Superman.

This reminds me, when I was a kid, I wanted a Superman costume so badly, and I didn't have one. All I had was a Superman t-shirt. To dress like Superman, I thought I'd find my red sweater and tie it around my neck, and use my blue warm up pants, and then lastly, put my red underwear over them. Smile
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/Supereyes/clois.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

~I look upon my powers as a gift...Not mine alone, but for anyone who needs them~
Superman: Peace on Earth

Click Here to see my Super Fan Art!:
http://groups.msn...lery2.msnw

superjosh34
my biggest plea for this suit is this: no more stupid yellow rubber belts!!!! it's an alien alloy, not cheap plastic. it needs to look like gold or bronze. I can't believe that they didnt change that in Superman Returns, they changed things less needing of change. in the comics, it usually looks reflective, so it should in the movie too. how does anybody else feel about this?
--Josh--
Wink

Fulcon
*looks at the Tim Burton pictures with Nick Cage*

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

*eye twitches and faints*

Okay, guys...those costumes are hideous. Beyond hideous. Just...*spits in disgust* Bleuuugh...

They DO have one right thought in their brain: The Costume needs to be updated. It does...

7heBoss wrote:
I like the suit the way it is. However, I'm not completely again the idea of changing it because I am sure hollywood has some amazing that costume designers that would do a good job updating the design without completely destroying the original concept. I don't like most of the fan made costumes though. The only fan-made costume that I have ever seen that I actually kind of liked was this one

[img]http://fanartexhibit.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/superman_rebooted.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

...and that's what I'm talking about.

It perfectly keeps the spirit of Superman while at the same time looking modern. I like it. I like it a lot. I think everyone else should like it too.

Who agrees?
You know, the reason I like Superman is because he is an unabashed good guy, not this angsting dude with an anguished past who kills people while angsting.

It's time to show people why Light and Bright Heroes are awesome again.

----------

Your mission: Draw a picture of a crossover between the cast of Superman: Returns and the cast of Smallville.

How would the two cast's interact?

PM me when you have succeeded.

The Red-Blue Blur
Supereyes wrote:
adam_wilde2310 wrote:

Oh God! Did you have to show that again? I remember staying at the hospital for two weeks after seeing that photo.

Looking at it again....

Aghh! No!... *dies*

It's worse than the first pic. I was thinking if Chris Nolan directed Superman, how would he do it? Obviously, he has made quite a few changes in his Batman films. I wondered if he directed Superman, would he remove the underwear? The underwear is cheesey, but I can't see his suit without it. If he just has a yellow belt, not sure. Maybe they can just find a way to make it look more like trunks.

I completely disagree though that Superman looks outdated. I will say that I can agree that, to many people, Superman is no longer considered apart of the mainstream superhero society. Because of Superman Returns' huge embarassment and representation of Superman, Superman could not compare with today's superhero movies, Spider-Man, Batman and so on.

I had expected, because of Singer's background, he directed X-Men for God sakes, I thought he would have made Superman a little more comparable to the rest of the superheroes. Alot of ignorant people have always said Superman is lame, but the truth is, he's not. Unfortunately, the movie really did represent to what non-Superman fans have always thought of Superman: lame. Thanks, Singer! Angry

One of the few things Singer may have done right was by keeping Superman's same material, including the underwear.

I don't see Superman going without his underwear in this movie. The first rule in filmmaking is "Never f--k with a classic." Removing the underwaer would be destroying Superman.

This reminds me, when I was a kid, I wanted a Superman costume so badly, and I didn't have one. All I had was a Superman t-shirt. To dress like Superman, I thought I'd find my red sweater and tie it around my neck, and use my blue warm up pants, and then lastly, put my red underwear over them. Smile

Haha, yeah. In my head, when I think of a Nolan Superman movie, I see him with more of those athletic/gymnastic type of trunks on.

Hypoxic
Bah. There's no need to change the suit.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

naam
Yes! I agree that we can keep the suit iconic in the movies even without the red undies. The undies work well in the comics but for a live action movie it's a bit dated.
Superman is the Best

Warch
7heBoss wrote:

Would be more than happy if this was the live action suit! Whilst I agree that the suit is iconic, I think a modern audience needs an updated suit if they will take Superman "seriously" and this would definetely fit the bill.

Fulcon

You know what I've realized just by looking at that hideous thing?

That's Bizzarro's costume. Just throwing it out there.
You know, the reason I like Superman is because he is an unabashed good guy, not this angsting dude with an anguished past who kills people while angsting.

It's time to show people why Light and Bright Heroes are awesome again.

----------

Your mission: Draw a picture of a crossover between the cast of Superman: Returns and the cast of Smallville.

How would the two cast's interact?

PM me when you have succeeded.

sph683
Overall, the suit looks perfect the way it is. But I wouldn't mind losing the trunks in favor of like a red belt or something.
[img]http://hallofheroes.free.fr/Images/UltimateDC/superman.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
I like this design, just change the "S" to the classic version.

[img]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071105173049/marvel_dc/images/2/21/Superman_-_Titans_Tomorrow.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
This ones pretty good too. Again just change the "S".

Jump to Forum: