Print Thread
Am I the only one who still loves John Byrne's Superman?
TomCon

>Young Superman wrote:

Just wonding am I the only one who still loves John Byrne's Superman? Here are five reason I love the Byrne era.

No, I love it too! I'm actually delving back into that era through the Man of Steel TPBs.

I particularly like Numbers 1, 2, and 5. My biggest concern though? Probably the fact that because he was never as powerful, there was no Superboy. The main problem with that is, it erases the Legion of Super-Heroes, an incredibly enjoyable super-team from continuity.
Only a steel man came to recover
If he had run from gold, carry over
We celebrate our sense of each other
We have a lot to give one another --Sufjan Stevens, "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts"

Saint Expeditus

>Young Superman wrote:

Just wonding am I the only one who still loves John Byrne's Superman?

No! I too love the Byrne era and while I like every Superman era from Gold to modern, in a lot of ways the Byrne era is my preferred Superman.

Mainly I like the powers toned down a bit and I like both Kent's being alive.

DuncanB

>Supermark wrote:

Kents Alive: Say what you will about the rest of the Post-Crisis changes to Superman's continuity, but I would argue that keeping the Kents alive is actually one of the best things that ever happened to the Superman mythology. Fleshing out his Earth parents has made Superman a far more relatable character than he has ever been. Plus, I have never seen the Kents as a crutch in any sense of the word. To me, they are as integral to his character and mythology as Alfred is to Batman.

I hope you'll take this as a compliment, but I feel like I'm arguing with my dad.

I couldnt agree with you more about the Kents.....Oh whats that? Their both dead in the new continuity? Oh Sad Brill....
'Clark is who I am, Superman is just what I can do'

kalabro
I grew up at the tail end of the Silver Age and when "Man of Steel" came out, I ate it up and was glad to get more in the revamped Action and Superman comics. By that point, I was 15, so I think that Byrne's Superman felt more "real" and less silly to me. Superman could have moments of angst, but he didn't wallow in it--and I loved that his human parents were still alive. It really grounded Superman and made it clear that he was connected to humankind.

Saint Expeditus

>kalabro wrote:

I grew up at the tail end of the Silver Age and when "Man of Steel" came out, I ate it up and was glad to get more in the revamped Action and Superman comics. By that point, I was 15, so I think that Byrne's Superman felt more "real" and less silly to me. Superman could have moments of angst, but he didn't wallow in it--and I loved that his human parents were still alive. It really grounded Superman and made it clear that he was connected to humankind.

Ding, Ding, Ding, you just won the internet!

Nicely put.

Hypoxic
Hm, I guess I'm the only one that thinks at least one of the Kents should be dead...
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

DuncanB

>Hypoxic wrote:

Hm, I guess I'm the only one that thinks at least one of the Kents should be dead...

Whats the reason for that preference?

Hypoxic
I've mentioned it before, but I think the death of one or both parents adds another important layer to Clark Kent, a characterization that builds on the character's existence. He was raised by remarkable people, but they don't need to be alive in order to be remarkable. Siegel and Shuster knew this from issue 1.

I think the death of his parents is incredibly more important to the comics than his marriage to Lois.
_____

NeoRanger
Siegel and Shuster knew this from issue 1.

[smartass] He didn't have parents in issue 1[/smartass]

=P

Hypoxic

>NeoRanger wrote:

Siegel and Shuster knew this from issue 1.

[smartass]He didn't have parents in issue 1[/smartass]

=P

I was attempting a play on words...
_____

DuncanB
Its interesting you feel that way, alot of my favourite scenes from the last 20-30 years of stories have been when the whole family have got together at the farm for xmas etc. I particularly liked the scenes of Martha fussing over Clark and Bruce at Kent farm and really treating them like brothers.

Hypoxic
There's no doubt that the Kents being alive can provide some really great scenes, but I think the overall quality of the characterization grows out of at least one of them being dead.
_____

a_cunning_disguise
I agree that a parent dying makes for a more rounded character. It creates a sadness and awareness of human fragility for Clark that influences his decision making after that. I'm not saying Superman should be an angst monster at all but he has to have an emotional range in order to be an interesting character.

Hypoxic

>a_cunning_disguise wrote:

I agree that a parent dying makes for a more rounded character. It creates a sadness and awareness of human fragility for Clark that influences his decision making after that. I'm not saying Superman should be an angst monster at all but he has to have an emotional range in order to be an interesting character.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

The death of a parent wouldn't necessariy make him angsty, but like you point out it provides an early gauge for emotion and loss, and by later extension of Superman - through what he learned through his wonderful foster parents - compassion.
_____

Jump to Forum: