Superman Homepage » Television » Smallville
 Print Thread
Season 9: Episode Savior
Steve Wright
The use of the blue Kryptonite was lazily plotted-- 'inconsistent' may be too much to describe it, but it borders. Woman fights Lois without any grand super powers, obviously. Then she has heat vision, which means the blue-K must've been concealed somewhere. Then she drops it on the ground and it seems to fall from inside a lead (presumably) pouch. How much radius does its radiation have? I'm not sure. Why didn't Clark at least try to put it away, either when the battle started or when the woman got stabbed? I don't know, everything seemed a bit too convenient.

I was wondering why Clark didn't just grab it and throw it out of the barn, but then I realized he never really had a chance to get to it.

His face healed when he was away from the blue kryptonite.....shouldn't the ninja's stab wound have healed and shouldn't she have then been resuscitated as soon as she was away from the blue kryptonite too (if she was kryptonian, as suggested)?

I don't think so. If my memory is correct he's never come back to life from a fatal wound when he didn't have his powers without help from Jor-El or the Martian Manhunter. Superficial wounds and cuts heal instantly.

The two main examples I can think of are when he was shot as a human and Jor-El brought him back to life, and then there was last premiere's arrow through the heart death where the Manhunter shot him all the way to the sun practically to bring him back and return his powers.

NeoRanger
^ Well, yeah, but is the injury itself all that important? She certainly wouldn't come back to life after she had died, but if they were far enough from the Kryptonite for him to heal, pulling out the sword might've saved her. It would've shown some effort, anyway.

Lex Vader
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/bratpop/LexVadersSmallvilleReviewofDoom.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

(Formerly Bratpop's Rant of the Week)

Smallville Episode Nine-Hundred One, "Savior."

For some reason, the show about a horrible alien FREAK starts its ninth year on television. And as usual, this episode is terrible! The premiere did not even feature the genius supervillain Savior at all! Not as he is known anyway. Instead, he willed himself to become a ninja woman, attacking the alien for destroying the world in the future. Which is sort of like attacking uncooked rice for being eventually soft and tasty.

The episode began with a homeless person living in an abandoned church and arguing with people who aren't there. She makes a noble attempt at villainry by hacking someone's computer, but then blunders when she tells the person that it's her doing it! No! Gloating is fine AFTER you have doomed someone, but not before you do it! Sophomoric criminality at best. Then some guy comes in and asks her for "a meal." Man, what is with all the homeless people?

Suddenly, lightning turns into two hot chicks and the alien freak stops a train wreck with alien physics, which will no doubt corrupt all physics and pretty soon we'll be falling up instead of down. Then he burns his symbol into a wall, proving that he is not only a vigilante but a vandal! And an arsonist! This guy even set fire to his own barn! I'm pretty sure he is a pyromaniac. We see him perched on top of a building like some sort of bat... guy.

The freak goes to his fortress of alien invasion. It's really just a bunch of ice he found. He talks to a person who isn't there. He's wearing a trenchcoat. Seeing a theme here? Another homeless person! He complains that he doesn't have the flying powers of his bat people and cannot fully terrorize the Earth. His father says it's all in his head, which means he also has telepathy! Run from this creature! He is not safe!

The bat person's girlfriend wakes up and is confused. Clearly delusional and dangerous, she is allowed to escape and roam the streets, endangering men, women and children alike with her seductive sweaty bosoms. Like all the others, this person talks to thin air and is apparently homeless.

After this, the alien is seen having delusions of monuments that don't exist, and trying to commit suicide from them. His dark adornments reflect his inner turmoil, lack of soul, and thirst for human blood. He is the bringer of darkness! Apart from that, he has no good qualities.

Meanwhile, noble freedom fighters have been kidnapped from the field and are trapped in a beautiful mansion surrounded by no doubt lots of horrible homeless people talking to themselves. Their leader, Major Zod, must deal with the rampant psychoses affecting his troops, which cause them to want to interrogate kinky women.

Wandering around empty trains, the alien's homeless girlfriend meets a recently unemployed actor who is now also homeless (as you can see by his lack of shaving regimen). She pretends she can read the paper, and acts confused, probably imagining she is the President and has just elected the Care Bears to the Chocolate Congress, or some such insane fantasy!

Elsewhere, the homeless blonde criminal has had her hungry friend steal dozens of TVs from around the city. They also steal patented iPhone technology, so they will likely be sued before too long. They talk about people from the future, a common paranoia.

The kinky woman and the Major try to plan an escape from the bedroom of the no doubt extremely handsome man whose mansion they have taken over. Why don't they simply use the secret escape tunnel that every mansion owner builds behind the wardrobe?

Later, the blonde hacker meets up with the bat person and he does not attempt to eat her face. This scene makes no sense, as they are only seen talking. I guess they had to edit the violence in case any children were watching.

As anyone would suspect, the alien's insane girlfriend is next seen dressing up in a silly costume and meeting up with her ex boyfriend. She surprises him while he is busy with his slapping club meeting, because she couldn't meet him after it was over. Slapping club meetings never end.

The alien shows up, and out of jealousy, goes to start his own fight club. But his is better, with ninja chicks, and swords, and it's to the death. However, his club ends quickly, as he kills the only club member with his evil alien mind powers.

Weeks later, the Major's troops have had stadium seating installed in the mansion's main room. The mutinous soldier known only as "Razorblade Necklace" realizes that he is a mere subordinate and must make the Crouching Salute of the Inferior, as do the other soldiers.

In the foul den of the alien beast, the hacker pleads with him to be a merciful god, but his inhuman wrath proves he is a vengeful god, as he refuses to let innocent people live. He sends the pitiful vagabond away in tears as he is wiping the blood of a fresh kill off of his hands. Then, I'm pretty sure he destroys an orphanage, but that might have been a commercial.

The kinky woman finds that the soldiers and their leader have retreated and set up camp in a secret location, possibly a temple of Mass Crouching somewhere on the back 40.

In the middle of that night, the alien's girlfriend stalks the out of work actor and follows him to his "day job," which he pretends is "not his real job." She tries to log in on a computer that she doesn't know the password to. The man agrees to get her a job there despite her craziness, knowing he is safer keeping her close, and that she might be "very thankful" later, if you know what I mean.

The woman gets a call from the evil bat alien, who uses mind control via his evil alien bat voice to hypnotize her. As she has no home to go to, the insane woman breaks into an abandoned loft above a coffee shop of all places, and has nightmares of the end of the world, no doubt caused by the evil alien's mind control in attempt to get her to destroy the world.

How will this unstable woman's zombie servitude affect her new job, and will the brave freedom fighters be able to stop crouching long enough to stop her? Find out next week.... at your doom!

TheSuperman
Steve Wright wrote:
If we go 1-5, then I give it a 3.

I wasn't happy with how OOC Chloe seemed to be with Clark. She more than anyone knows what happened the last time Clark changed fate. And, I don't like Lois' over the top fawning about the Blur. It's creepy and stalkerish and it's coming out of nowhere. I also don't like that Clark hasn't fully let go of his humanity because of Lois. That makes no sense. There has been no build up of those kinds of feelings from Clark at all. It seems like they are just light switching the show to get it to the point that they should have gotten years ago.

I also don't care that much about Oliver falling off the wagon.

But, I like Clark being proactive (although I wish they would stop him leaving the S behind.). I like ZOD. This isn't the ZOD we all know and love but you can see him at times. When this ZOD tells Tess he would not hesitate to kill her, THAT'S when I see ZOD. I like the mysteries they've set up this year with Lois' visions.

We'll see how it pans out.

agree with everything except the rating and zod.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,

that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Leviticus 18-22 remember it.

The Red-Blue Blur
Really great starter. The feel of Smallville's changed big. I like how the writer of the episode actually took the time to figure out the date it would premiere and put that date in the episode. I got chills when Clark was on the Statue of Liberity.

SUPERMAN NORTH
the one thing i would have loved to seen in this episode is how Clark got the new duds from ie was it given to him by Jor-El or did Clark make it. I would have loved to have "SEEN" Jor-El present Clark with the new duds and say Kal-El this is your training uniform etc...
One person can make a difference.
[img]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/knightangel1/m_e4d298e10f6aa87b47d7e587bd806217.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

superking
V good start imo...it had an edgy comic book feel to it, the rush up the side of the biulding to see clark standing tall lookig over the city was gold!!!....a bit battish but with the statue of lib scene....very cool. I am really enjoyin tess and her and zod had good chem, lois and clark is taking off from thier phone booth scenes from last season and its a beautiful thing.....its been subtly changing for a long time so i dont get when people say its rushed, it makes me wonder if said critics have ever been in love.....chloe with a gun it looked stupid and i didnt like it, and im not sure but ollies downward spiral looks pradictable and boring.....so 4 outta 5 it was worth the wait...oh and i cant wait for the blur to knock that smirk off corbans face!!!!!!Grin

hordakalpha
For those critics who say something was rushed during the Smallville premiere, I disagree. Pretty much the whole episode went on at a decent pace. I watched the Heroes premiere and most of it was sloooooooooooooooooow going. Smallville's pace was great compared to Heroes.
(Hordak Alpha))
[img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3131/smallvillesig2011.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

krypto-mac
Lex Vader wrote:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/bratpop/LexVadersSmallvilleReviewofDoom.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

(Formerly Bratpop's Rant of the Week)

Smallville Episode Nine-Hundred One, "Savior."

ninja woman, attacking the alien for destroying the world in the future. Which is sort of like attacking uncooked rice for being eventually soft and tasty.

It's nothing like that, considering the latter is a pleasant ending from a humble beginning, and the former is a horrible genocidal end from a beginning that never should have gone in that direction. But i appreciate you were going for sarcasm so we'll move on.

(PS> I can't believe your reviews have their own banner headline now! Funny though.)

Lex Vader wrote:
The episode began with a homeless person living in an abandoned church and arguing with people who aren't there. She makes a noble attempt at villainry by hacking someone's computer, but then blunders when she tells the person that it's her doing it! No! Gloating is fine AFTER you have doomed someone, but not before you do it! Sophomoric criminality at best. Then some guy comes in and asks her for "a meal." Man, what is with all the homeless people?

I must say i questioned her telling the guy she was hacking his system, considering 1) it is an offence, and 2) she already thought she was locked up for hacking her way through every computer system in the world (admittedly it was a ploy by Lex and she was actually in black creek, but she didn't initially know this).
Really not smart.

"A meal", lol. Nice.

Lex Vader wrote:
Suddenly, lightning turns into two hot chicks and the alien freak stops a train wreck with alien physics, which will no doubt corrupt all physics and pretty soon we'll be falling up instead of down. Then he burns his symbol into a wall, proving that he is not only a vigilante but a vandal! And an arsonist! This guy even set fire to his own barn! I'm pretty sure he is a pyromaniac. We see him perched on top of a building like some sort of bat... guy.

Top of the building was definitely very batman-esque....and.....

You totally ripped me off calling him a vandal and an arsonist, which i suspect was deliberate because you knew i'd read your review and pick that up. Or am i reading too much into it?

Lex Vader wrote:
The freak goes to his fortress of alien invasion. It's really just a bunch of ice he found. He talks to a person who isn't there. He's wearing a trenchcoat. Seeing a theme here? Another homeless person! He complains that he doesn't have the flying powers of his bat people and cannot fully terrorize the Earth. His father says it's all in his head, which means he also has telepathy! Run from this creature! He is not safe!

Got a cackle out of that.

Lex Vader wrote:
The bat person's girlfriend wakes up and is confused. Clearly delusional and dangerous, she is allowed to escape and roam the streets, endangering men, women and children alike with her seductive sweaty bosoms. Like all the others, this person talks to thin air and is apparently homeless.

You're really on the homeless track this week, hey?

Lex Vader wrote:
After this, the alien is seen having delusions of monuments that don't exist, and trying to commit suicide from them. His dark adornments reflect his inner turmoil, lack of soul, and thirst for human blood. He is the bringer of darkness! Apart from that, he has no good qualities.

Here's my question about that: why, in his mental trials, was he in New York City on Liberty Island? Why was he not in Metropolis on top of a building? It just seemed very random to throw New York in there....though it did look very cool.

Lex Vader wrote:
Their leader, Major Zod, must deal with the rampant psychoses affecting his troops, which cause them to want to interrogate kinky women.

I'm just curious as to what makes you call Tess out as being kinky just from that particular episode? Though i think you're right....

Lex Vader wrote:
Wandering around empty trains, the alien's homeless girlfriend meets a recently unemployed actor who is now also homeless (as you can see by his lack of shaving regimen). She pretends she can read the paper, and acts confused, probably imagining she is the President and has just elected the Care Bears to the Chocolate Congress, or some such insane fantasy!

As has been pointed out by other people, and as i noticed when i watched the episode....why was the date on the paper wrong? The only way the date on that paper would have been that day's date is if the paper boy decided to include the abandoned train wreck in the middle of the street in his rounds.

Lex Vader wrote:
Elsewhere, the homeless blonde criminal has had her hungry friend steal dozens of TVs from around the city. They also steal patented iPhone technology, so they will likely be sued before too long. They talk about people from the future, a common paranoia.

NCIS did the same thing with ripping off i-phone in the episode that had LL Cool J and Chris O'Donnell in it. Everyone is cashing in on the fad.

Lex Vader wrote:
As anyone would suspect, the alien's insane girlfriend is next seen dressing up in a silly costume and meeting up with her ex boyfriend. She surprises him while he is busy with his slapping club meeting, because she couldn't meet him after it was over. Slapping club meetings never end.

The other thing is, did you notice how even though she was holding up a sign for the next round.....the place seemed to empty and the other opponent disappeared all of a sudden, even before the big bang? I wouldn't say slapping club meetings never end....i'd say they end abruptly and suddenly for no reason at all!

Lex Vader wrote:
In the foul den of the alien beast, the hacker pleads with him to be a merciful god, but his inhuman wrath proves he is a vengeful god, as he refuses to let innocent people live. He sends the pitiful vagabond away in tears as he is wiping the blood of a fresh kill off of his hands. Then, I'm pretty sure he destroys an orphanage, but that might have been a commercial.

Another cackle-worthy paragraph, in a twisted, sarcastic, "you" sort of way.

Lex Vader wrote:
In the middle of that night, the alien's girlfriend stalks the out of work actor and follows him to his "day job," which he pretends is "not his real job." She tries to log in on a computer that she doesn't know the password to. The man agrees to get her a job there despite her craziness, knowing he is safer keeping her close, and that she might be "very thankful" later, if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean, lol.

Lex Vader wrote:
The woman gets a call from the evil bat alien, who uses mind control via his evil alien bat voice to hypnotize her. As she has no home to go to, the insane woman breaks into an abandoned loft above a coffee shop of all places, and has nightmares of the end of the world, no doubt caused by the evil alien's mind control in attempt to get her to destroy the world.

That was a fairly raunchy scene at the end, wasn't it? I'm thoroughly intrigued to see where they take that....

Lex Vader wrote:
How will this unstable woman's zombie servitude affect her new job, and will the brave freedom fighters be able to stop crouching long enough to stop her? Find out next week.... at your doom!

Definitely looking forward to Metallo. But the burning question - how did you rate this week's episode (out of 5)?

Edited by krypto-mac on 28/09/2009 09:14

To err is human, to moo is bovine.

Lex Vader
Another season premiere, another reason to jeer!

Okay, here's my nitpicky review (krypto-mac, you didn't have to reply to that other one). Preface: this episode was pretty good. But actionwise, we got half a train save and two cheap fights. The rest was build-up for stuff we may never see. (Metropolis under a red sky?) And that's why season 8 sucked. All build-up for a fight that barely happened. So I don't know what to rate this. Its worth depends on the payoff.

New CG establishing shot. Get used to it. You're going to see it more times than you've seen boobs.

Please note blatant disregard for the existence of Detective John Jones as Chloe calls the police and then tells them she's hacking their computer, which she used to do without calling them. You know, that Det. Jones could look for Lois. He works for the poleece department! Forgot, did we?

Chloe says Jimmy's death is no excuse for doing something uncool, like not being a superhero anymore. Then she uses Jimmy's death as an excuse to do something uncool, like call Clark inhuman. Is "Hypocrite" taken as a superhero name?

Suddenly there's a "sky train" in Metropolis.

Lois' zappy color is purple, but the ninja chick's zappy color is blue. Why? If you look closely at the dream sequence, behind Clod (Clark-Zod), there's a red zappy thing coming from the building. Personally, I want an orange zappy thing. Reminds me of soda.

I'm not really sure why magic makes trains fail. It's not like the zappy thing was literally electricity making the electrical system fail.

Now I get it! No conductor up front. It's a magic train, vulnerable to other magic.

Clark's save defies sense as much as when he saved Tess by jumping out of a plane while holding her. All this would do is smash Clark about twenty feet into the pavement, and smash Lois against his face.

Don't really understand the physics of the other train cars being held aloft instead of coming apart when the first one stops.

The Fleischers knew how to do disasters. Lois gets into the disaster for the story. Clark gets into it to save people. Lois shouldn't cause disasters, or be in places where Lex causes disasters, or get saved by Clark when he could have been anywhere in the world.

I forgot the Fortress was destroyed, and then brought back by a magic crystal that was never explained. I know the season 7 finale was weak, but undoing it just so they can use the FOS again and kill Lex in an even stupider way was purely selfish.

Clark saying he's tethered because he can't fly is baloney. We say that, not Clark. They owe us royalties. And they already explained the reason he can't fly is he never TRIED. He even backed down when Kara tried to teach him. Now they say it's because he still thinks of himself as human. Except we KNOW Superman doesn't fly around thinking he's not human. This scene doesn't fix the flying problem. It just gives a name to it. And that is not progress.

Terence Stamp sounded too flat and casual as Jor-El when he was talking to Clark. He was absent from the show for most episodes, and suddenly he's all fatherly and understanding. Worse, they're pretending his intention was always to have Clark become "a true hero," which is missing the point entirely. What happened to the brainwashing Jor-El who said "rule them well"?

The dramatic music in the hospital scene made me laugh. This isn't E.R. It's a show where the same four people get the exact same hospital room every single week and they always turn out fine. No drama can happen here.

Why wasn't Lois presumed killed by Doomsday? And why does Chloe call her a cutesy nickname when she's been worried sick about her? It's supposed to be an emotional reunion, not a barbeque. BTW, Lois doesn't know that Jimmy is dead. And I'm not sure anyone could explain why?

"The jaws of crouching tigers"? What the hell does that mean!?

"I think I could use a sedative." "I'll get you two." Good idea, cos last time that happened, it's not like your husband became a pill addict.

The Bluretto relationship is great and all, but they never explained why it's so important to Lois that the RBB confides in her. Running to phone booths in her sweaty tank top makes her look obsessed. This stems from nothing in her character, apart from having no real purpose in life. It's so forced.

I'm not sure if they replaced the scene of Clark jumping off the roof with the one of him jumping off the Statue of Liberty, or what. I'm not even sure if they were saying that he was in New York or if they're making Metropolis New York like all four of the movies did. Then they say it's virtual anyway, and we know they can't afford to show the statue again.

Apparently, Clark's training consists of a virtual reality simulation of him jumping off of things and saving people. The only problem is that he's been doing that since he was fifteen! He doesn't need a simulation! I always knew they didn't have the capacity to imagine what the training actually was. But that's okay, the training in the movies didn't make a lick of sense either.

I'm sick of this "Jimmy died because of me" crap. Clark wanted to send Davis to the Phantom Zone. Chloe forced him not to. That relieves him of the burden of responsibility. The Justice League wanted Clark to kill Davis. They also are free from guilt. They helped prevent the world from being destroyed by a vicious monster. So what if someone got killed in the process? None of them directly caused it. If any of them did, it was Chloe.

The Zod thing is just baffling. All these Kandorians show up naked all over the world (another Terminator ripoff), and then Zod tracks them down and gives them army surplus. Then they interrogate Tess about how they got there. And she blabs as soon as Zod gets locked up with her. Then they hold a meeting and disappear. Wah?

I'm anxious to find out what Corben's problem is. The ends don't justify the means? A vigilante on an ego trip? The guy saved a crashing train. It's not like he's going all Rorshach on bad guys, or killing innocent civilians to stop a jewel thief. If Blurry's responsible for Corben being Metallo, then that's just bad writing. But presumably I'll rant about that when "Metallo" airs.

Why is Lois so stupid that she still thinks Corben is a cop after he helps her hide from a cop?

I don't like Emil. He dresses like a financial consultant and he has no visible passion for science. Joe Morton has the passionate scientist thing down so well that he's still playing one. This new guy shows up and spends Ollie's funds without permission. And what do scientists always want? Funding! This guy is empty and befuddling.

I never buy it when they try to pass off a bunch of discount Vizios as a high tech TV wall. It looks like a cheap prop, not something a billionaire's money would buy.

What's with the blue contact lenses on the Kandorian chick? Is she related to Brandon Routh? Why don't they make Tom wear these? They could call it part of his "training."

So not only was the whole future thing a total copout, but it was only one YEAR in the future? Why would the Legion ring take Lois a year into the future? Even if the world ends, it should take her to Legion-time. That's how it's designed.

The blue Kryptonite as an excuse to have a Matrix fight is fairly insulting. No mention of where this chick found it, what Clark did with it, or why he didn't throw it away and let her wound heal. And now it's there for them to use as a gimmick whenever they want to be lazy.

And the chick LITERALLY falls on her own sword!

I'm confused now as to whether Clark was leaving his symbol everywhere, or if it was the ninja chick doing it. If it was her, what was her reason for doing it? Why wouldn't Clark react to his symbol being everywhere? Why did the ninja chick spitefully burn Lois' picture if she wasn't after her? And instead of fighting her on a train, why not intentionally cause it to crash? Why not attack Clark when he caught the train? Wasn't that the whole point? Why burn his symbol into the wall after he left?

"It's over!" Really? Let's expound upon that. "My burying of the dead body on my property is over! And now the walking of me from the entrance of the barn to the middle of the barn shall commence! DRAMATICALLY! BEHOLD as I walk, Chloe Sullivan! Bear witness to this historic event!" *walkwalkwalkwalk*

The drama! I can't take it! Someone get me a sword to fall on!

"She told me I would cause the end of the world." Ugh, you freaking IDIOT! She said "OUR world," not "THE world!" Don't you see the significance?

You know what sucks? They waste their time using pop culture references to seem clever, when they have a character with superintellect. He could read every book ever written in a few seconds. He could be quoting obscure facts all the time. What a goldmine this is for a writer, and yet no one ever uses it. THIS is how to write clever dialogue without it seeming forced.

The only reason for the "Clark, go save Jimmy" scene is so that Chloe can say Clark isn't human anymore. Even though the subject was already brought up by Jor-El. But all this scene ends up doing is making more people want to smack Chloe.

At the end of this scene, Clark should say, "Hooray! I'm not human anymore! I did it, space daddy! Can I fly now!? Yippee!" Then he flies away and the show is over. Finally Chloe does something right.

If Tess has been locked up for three weeks, who is running the Daily Planet and who fired Lois and changed her password? A smart writer would use this to introduce Perry White, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening.

The dream sequence cheese was right out of Dune. I do not buy that Lois is with Clark in the future if he's being controlled by Zod. That would never happen. If he turns evil, she splits. If he's undercover, she'd blow his cover.

So I don't know. It looks like they're going with a Lost-type teaser setup. They want it to look like they can change the episodic format, but I doubt it. The show would be better as a serial, but they can't just snap their fingers and change it.

FlashGordon
So I guess Clark now just ruthlessly buries women in his backyard...?

I'm not feeling that.

Kem-L
FlashGordon wrote:
So I guess Clark now just ruthlessly buries women in his backyard...?

I'm not feeling that.

That was a bit Kansas-killer creepy. A Darth-Vaderesque cremation would have been in better taste, i mean, she WAS Kryptonian. You don't see those everyday.

Holy crap, my post count is down to 24.
I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude. You have to wait."
- Mitch Hedberg

krypto-mac
Now this is more like it BP....uh, LV.

Lex Vader wrote:
Another season premiere, another reason to jeer!

Okay, here's my nitpicky review (krypto-mac, you didn't have to reply to that other one).

I thought it was the only one forthcoming, and it was funny. You couldn't expect to give your review a banner headline and not have me respond, surely?

Lex Vader wrote:
Preface: this episode was pretty good. But actionwise, we got half a train save and two cheap fights. The rest was build-up for stuff we may never see. (Metropolis under a red sky?) And that's why season 8 sucked. All build-up for a fight that barely happened. So I don't know what to rate this. Its worth depends on the payoff.

Which largely depends on the budget, which is also another reason the season 8 finale fell flat.

Lex Vader wrote:
Please note blatant disregard for the existence of Detective John Jones as Chloe calls the police and then tells them she's hacking their computer, which she used to do without calling them. You know, that Det. Jones could look for Lois. He works for the poleece department! Forgot, did we?

I did wonder about this, but thinking back, how closely did Chloe ever really interact with MMH? Maybe they were intending to keep them separate deliberately?

Lex Vader wrote:
Chloe says Jimmy's death is no excuse for doing something uncool, like not being a superhero anymore. Then she uses Jimmy's death as an excuse to do something uncool, like call Clark inhuman. Is "Hypocrite" taken as a superhero name?

Yeah, i tend to think her being upset was understandable, but she can't blame Clark for any of it. She knows the ramifications of going back in time and saving a life that was previously lost. She even points this out to Clark in infamous when he goes back in time to fix things for himself.
That scene definitely detracted from Chloe's character.

Lex Vader wrote:
Suddenly there's a "sky train" in Metropolis.

Lois' zappy color is purple, but the ninja chick's zappy color is blue. Why? If you look closely at the dream sequence, behind Clod (Clark-Zod), there's a red zappy thing coming from the building. Personally, I want an orange zappy thing. Reminds me of soda.

Good pick up.....

Lex Vader wrote:
I'm not really sure why magic makes trains fail. It's not like the zappy thing was literally electricity making the electrical system fail.

Now I get it! No conductor up front. It's a magic train, vulnerable to other magic.

You would have to wonder why there was a train going about it's journey minus a driver. How was it going to stop?

Lex Vader wrote:
Clark's save defies sense as much as when he saved Tess by jumping out of a plane while holding her. All this would do is smash Clark about twenty feet into the pavement, and smash Lois against his face.

Agree and disagree. Based on what we've seen in the past, if Clark is able to exert a force against the train greater than that of the oncoming train, then his footing would not be compromised at all. Much like if somebody throws you a basketball - you can catch it without losing your footing. If somebody dropped a sack of housebricks towards you though (and you were dumb enough not to jump out the way) you would lose your footing trying to catch it.

HOWEVER......

If inertia teaches us anything, the sheer weight and velocity of the train, when stopped in motion suddenly by a force greater than it's own, would cause: all it's windows to explode, it's frame to groan, buckle, and break in several different places, it's shell to tear like paper, the other carriages attached to it to snap off the coupling and go straight through the front carriage, and everybody on board to die as a result.

A bit like a car with a trailer attached hitting a brick wall and the trailer coming off and going straight through the car.

But that wouldn't make good tv. I mean it looked good, and if you're willing to leave it at that (as i was) it was spectacular. But if one must look deeper into it, then one is bound to be completely confused.

Lex Vader wrote:
Don't really understand the physics of the other train cars being held aloft instead of coming apart when the first one stops.

Or them going through the front carriage, as i have described above.

Lex Vader wrote:
I forgot the Fortress was destroyed, and then brought back by a magic crystal that was never explained. I know the season 7 finale was weak, but undoing it just so they can use the FOS again and kill Lex in an even stupider way was purely selfish.

Somewhat random? Shouldn't this comment have come after the episode requiem, from season 8?

Lex Vader wrote:
Clark saying he's tethered because he can't fly is baloney. We say that, not Clark. They owe us royalties.

I would truly like to see you attempt to make that case against them. It would be hilarious.

Lex Vader wrote:
And they already explained the reason he can't fly is he never TRIED. He even backed down when Kara tried to teach him. Now they say it's because he still thinks of himself as human. Except we KNOW Superman doesn't fly around thinking he's not human. This scene doesn't fix the flying problem. It just gives a name to it. And that is not progress.

Technically, i'd say you're wrong.

The Superman we know and love knows he is an alien, has fully embraced and accepted that, and is completely at ease with it.
This Clark Kent has spent all his time up until this episode completely denying and shunning his kryptonian heritage and thus thinking of himself as being more human than alien. Good Lord, black kryptonite is able to split him in two. If he had embraced his kryptonian heritage there'd be no second repressed personality to split (as it has been presented in the show).
As soon as he is able to let this notion go, and realize he can think of himself as an alien without losing his values and ethics, theoretically (based on Jor-El's explanation of his inability to defy gravity) Clark should then be able to fly.

Lex Vader wrote:
Terence Stamp sounded too flat and casual as Jor-El when he was talking to Clark. He was absent from the show for most episodes, and suddenly he's all fatherly and understanding. Worse, they're pretending his intention was always to have Clark become "a true hero," which is missing the point entirely. What happened to the brainwashing Jor-El who said "rule them well"?

Yeah, it seems since the fortress was rebuilt, suddenly Jor-El has a conscience. Before at least it was explained he was a highly driven complex computer program re-creating his fathers will, and completely unfeeling for this very reason.

Lex Vader wrote:
The dramatic music in the hospital scene made me laugh. This isn't E.R. It's a show where the same four people get the exact same hospital room every single week and they always turn out fine. No drama can happen here.

Oh, drama can happen. It'll just happen to someone else in the same setting the next week.

Lex Vader wrote:
Why wasn't Lois presumed killed by Doomsday? And why does Chloe call her a cutesy nickname when she's been worried sick about her? It's supposed to be an emotional reunion, not a barbeque. BTW, Lois doesn't know that Jimmy is dead. And I'm not sure anyone could explain why?

I was incredibly frustrated with them continuing to type-cast Lois and have her bad-mouth people who have just gone through a harrowing experience due to her ambition to achieve her own goals. It makes her seem callous and selfish.

The writers really needed her to stop for once. When Chloe said, "No Lois, you need to stop. I have a pretty big bomb to drop on you", i thought, "Finally, they're not going to make Lois look like a selfish cow". I thought too soon though, apparently.

The fact that Lois still doesn't know Jimmy is dead is appalling by any standards.

Lex Vader wrote:
"The jaws of crouching tigers"? What the hell does that mean!?

Good question. If you figure it out, get back to me.

Lex Vader wrote:
"I think I could use a sedative." "I'll get you two." Good idea, cos last time that happened, it's not like your husband became a pill addict.

Not to mention:

1) Chloe would never be able to get her hands on said sedatives unless she stole them, and
2) She has no medical training and shouldn't be giving out meds of any description no matter how she got her hands on them.

Lex Vader wrote:
The Bluretto relationship is great and all, but they never explained why it's so important to Lois that the RBB confides in her. Running to phone booths in her sweaty tank top makes her look obsessed. This stems from nothing in her character, apart from having no real purpose in life. It's so forced.

I'm not so sure, i think they've built that relationship pretty well. I don't think it's so much that the act of him confiding in her is important....i think it's that she feels important when he does choose to confide in her. There's a difference.

Lex Vader wrote:
I'm not sure if they replaced the scene of Clark jumping off the roof with the one of him jumping off the Statue of Liberty, or what. I'm not even sure if they were saying that he was in New York or if they're making Metropolis New York like all four of the movies did. Then they say it's virtual anyway, and we know they can't afford to show the statue again.

All i know is i was confused, lol.

Lex Vader wrote:
Apparently, Clark's training consists of a virtual reality simulation of him jumping off of things and saving people. The only problem is that he's been doing that since he was fifteen! He doesn't need a simulation! I always knew they didn't have the capacity to imagine what the training actually was. But that's okay, the training in the movies didn't make a lick of sense either.

I believe that was a flying training simulation....and i'm not sure that (visually speaking) there was a better way to present this particular type of training, but i'm open to suggestions.

Lex Vader wrote:
I'm sick of this "Jimmy died because of me" crap. Clark wanted to send Davis to the Phantom Zone. Chloe forced him not to. That relieves him of the burden of responsibility. The Justice League wanted Clark to kill Davis. They also are free from guilt. They helped prevent the world from being destroyed by a vicious monster. So what if someone got killed in the process? None of them directly caused it. If any of them did, it was Chloe.

Agreed. The wound from last year's finale is still rather raw though, so let's not open that one up again.

Lex Vader wrote:
The Zod thing is just baffling. All these Kandorians show up naked all over the world (another Terminator ripoff), and then Zod tracks them down and gives them army surplus. Then they interrogate Tess about how they got there. And she blabs as soon as Zod gets locked up with her. Then they hold a meeting and disappear. Wah?

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Lex Vader wrote:
I'm anxious to find out what Corben's problem is. The ends don't justify the means? A vigilante on an ego trip? The guy saved a crashing train. It's not like he's going all Rorshach on bad guys, or killing innocent civilians to stop a jewel thief. If Blurry's responsible for Corben being Metallo, then that's just bad writing. But presumably I'll rant about that when "Metallo" airs.

Again, we'll have to wait and see.

Lex Vader wrote:
Why is Lois so stupid that she still thinks Corben is a cop after he helps her hide from a cop?

I did wonder the same thing.

Lex Vader wrote:
I never buy it when they try to pass off a bunch of discount Vizios as a high tech TV wall. It looks like a cheap prop, not something a billionaire's money would buy.

They can't afford what a billionaire's budget would really buy. They've got to make do with what they've got.

Lex Vader wrote:
What's with the blue contact lenses on the Kandorian chick? Is she related to Brandon Routh? Why don't they make Tom wear these? They could call it part of his "training."

I think the other 2 kryptonians from the start of season 5 had the crazy blue eyes too, didn't they? Maybe it's a pigmentation problem from being under a red sun previously and going to a yellow sun! Smile

Lex Vader wrote:
So not only was the whole future thing a total copout, but it was only one YEAR in the future? Why would the Legion ring take Lois a year into the future? Even if the world ends, it should take her to Legion-time. That's how it's designed.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. (Wow, i've said that a few times now.)

Lex Vader wrote:
The blue Kryptonite as an excuse to have a Matrix fight is fairly insulting. No mention of where this chick found it, what Clark did with it, or why he didn't throw it away and let her wound heal. And now it's there for them to use as a gimmick whenever they want to be lazy.

I raised the same issue up the page.

Lex Vader wrote:
I'm confused now as to whether Clark was leaving his symbol everywhere, or if it was the ninja chick doing it. If it was her, what was her reason for doing it? Why wouldn't Clark react to his symbol being everywhere? Why did the ninja chick spitefully burn Lois' picture if she wasn't after her? And instead of fighting her on a train, why not intentionally cause it to crash? Why not attack Clark when he caught the train? Wasn't that the whole point? Why burn his symbol into the wall after he left?

I raised this issue too. It was somewhat confusing.

Lex Vader wrote:
"It's over!" Really? Let's expound upon that. "My burying of the dead body on my property is over! And now the walking of me from the entrance of the barn to the middle of the barn shall commence! DRAMATICALLY! BEHOLD as I walk, Chloe Sullivan! Bear witness to this historic event!" *walkwalkwalkwalk*

The sarcasm was literally dripping off those words. Oscar Wilde would be proud.

Lex Vader wrote:
"She told me I would cause the end of the world." Ugh, you freaking IDIOT! She said "OUR world," not "THE world!" Don't you see the significance?

I'm starting to wonder if she meant he failed to stop Zod in this present which ultimately caused the destruction of Krypton, not knowing that he was never destined to stop Zod because Zod had already destroyed krypton, and this is past Zod come to Earth.

The whole thing is tremendously confusing and the timeline makes no sense. Please, someone explain to me how past Zod who's yet to cause mass genocide can come to Earth post-krypton apocalypse but it hasn't happened yet somehow because he has to return to destroy krypton yet obviously if he is still only a major. It's like one big grandfather paradox. (Especially when we've already had a major storyline which involved him attempting to do to Earth what he'd already done to Krypton.)
I'm truly and thoroughly confused.

Lex Vader wrote:
The only reason for the "Clark, go save Jimmy" scene is so that Chloe can say Clark isn't human anymore. Even though the subject was already brought up by Jor-El. But all this scene ends up doing is making more people want to smack Chloe.

I agree that it definitely detracted from her character.

Lex Vader wrote:
At the end of this scene, Clark should say, "Hooray! I'm not human anymore! I did it, space daddy! Can I fly now!? Yippee!" Then he flies away and the show is over. Finally Chloe does something right.

That actually did make me laugh out loud. Very funny stuff.

Lex Vader wrote:
If Tess has been locked up for three weeks, who is running the Daily Planet and who fired Lois and changed her password? A smart writer would use this to introduce Perry White, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening.

Here's another one....who hired corben, and put out a memo to everyone saying Clark was visiting family indefinitely? I wondered the exact same things as you. It's a fairly gaping plot hole.

Lex Vader wrote:
The dream sequence cheese was right out of Dune. I do not buy that Lois is with Clark in the future if he's being controlled by Zod. That would never happen. If he turns evil, she splits. If he's undercover, she'd blow his cover.

As long as they don't go down the Bizarro route again....ugh.

Lex Vader wrote:
So I don't know. It looks like they're going with a Lost-type teaser setup. They want it to look like they can change the episodic format, but I doubt it. The show would be better as a serial, but they can't just snap their fingers and change it.

Time will tell, i guess. Here it comes....i guess we'll have to wait and see!

Lex Vader
The Superman we know and love knows he is an alien, has fully embraced and accepted that, and is completely at ease with it.

Man of Steel #6: "It was Krypton that made me Superman, but it is the Earth that makes me human!" Superman has never thought of himself as just an alien with really good values. That's why Lex calls him an alien to piss him off. Clark grew up on Earth and has attachments, but this should have no effect on whether he can fly or not. He's not a Jedi. He knows his powers come from Krypton. He's known since the pilot episode. There is literally no way he could embrace his origin any more than he already has. If it don't happen in eight years, it don't happen.

They can't afford what a billionaire's budget would really buy. They've got to make do with what they've got.

Yes, but G4 has several actual TV walls, and they are probably one of the lowest budget networks around. As there's no benefit to a cheap looking TV wall, they shouldn't bother. Use the money to hire some real writers.

krypto-mac
Lex Vader wrote:

Man of Steel #6: "It was Krypton that made me Superman, but it is the Earth that makes me human!" Superman has never thought of himself as just an alien with really good values. That's why Lex calls him an alien to piss him off. Clark grew up on Earth and has attachments, but this should have no effect on whether he can fly or not. He's not a Jedi. He knows his powers come from Krypton. He's known since the pilot episode. There is literally no way he could embrace his origin any more than he already has. If it don't happen in eight years, it don't happen.

Hmm, you've misinterpreted what i meant, and that's probably my fault.

What i meant was that this Clark seems afraid to truly embrace the fact that he is an alien, thinking he'll somehow lose himself or become a cold and distant monster, or that to truly embrace his alien heritage is to leave everyone else behind. He denies it. He shuns it. He runs away from it at pretty much every turn.
Yes, he knows why he has powers and where they came from. That's a physical thing. I'm talking about the emotional side of it.
When he learns that to fully embrace his kryptonian heritage is not to sacrifice anything of himself, then he'll be able to fly (or so we're led to believe). Superman in the comics has this well in balance. But this is a young Clark Kent and he's just not quite there yet. He's still holding on to the people in his life, and feels that to fully embrace his alien heritage and inherent destiny, he'll have to say goodbye to everybody - Lois in particular.

I know what you mean LV, but i also know what they were trying to get at when they wrote that into the script.
Does that make more sense?

Lex Vader wrote:

Yes, but G4 has several actual TV walls, and they are probably one of the lowest budget networks around. As there's no benefit to a cheap looking TV wall, they shouldn't bother. Use the money to hire some real writers.

They've got writers. I gotta tell you, i didn't look at that scene and say, "Wow, those tv's are cheap". I thought, "that's a hell of a lot of tv's", and "obviously they're teching out Chloe's place readying it to become the watchtower" (which is what they were doing). I think looking at the price of the items is maybe looking a little too deeply into it, and missing the point of the overall scene.

Lex Vader
No, it doesn't make any sense. It's bloated gobbledygook. It's magic crystal nonsense. It's like clapping your hands together and saying you believe in fairies. How is this scientific? If Clark finds exactly the right size hug to embrace his Kryptonian destiny with, and can still secretly go out "humaning" with his friends at night without his space-daddy finding out, then he can emit and control gravitons? But if he only 93% accepts his heritage, he can't do anything but leap high? It's total hooey. Care Bears find this unbelievable.

The point was that the show makes it seem like he can't fly if he still cares about Lois. They make it sound like he can't wrap his mind around the idea that Clark Kent, a normal kid from Kansas, could possibly do something other people can't, like fly! Which is ripped straight from the Matrix, but doesn't work because Neo IS a normal guy who doesn't have powers. Clark has had powers since he was three years old. And he's even been to Krypton. We're talking about a physical power versus intangible, unquantifiable stuff. If you want to get psychological about it, then they're just ripping off Millar & Gough's Spider-Limpy problem from Spider-Man 2, which sucked.

Superman not being able to fly for psychological reasons even though HE WANTS TO is like saying a person could convince themselves they couldn't jump. If it's true it means he's CRAAAAAZY.

But WUH-OH, Scooby! What about the real reason he can't fly? The TV reason? There isn't one! They've done flying on the show plenty of times! They have the budget for it! They haven't given us a reason why they can't just let him fly already! It could have been solved with his "training," but then they invented a new obstacle that's so absurd even the guy with the superintellect can't understand it. And Jor-El, the supercomputer, can't explain it. Because it's a load of road apples.

Either let him fly, or invent a reason that's not so stupid that it even makes the main character roll his eyes.

As for the Watchtower, they invented "Windows" years ago so that people wouldn't have to buy 73 separate monitors. There's literally no reason one person would need that many monitors. One person couldn't even look at them all at once. You either get a single wall of monitors like Ozymandias in Watchmen, or you put them all on your laptop screen. They took the stupidity of Lana's secret spy room and made it even stupider. There's no logic to it, it's just supposed to "look cool." And if you ask me, it doesn't even look cool, because it's all spread out. I hope the people she watches on the balcony monitors aren't too important, because Chloe's not likely to run up their and check up on them too often. Oh hang on, I hafta go check the monitor in my crawlspace.

Lex Vader
As for the Fortresss... the reason I brought that up is because I found myself taking the FOS for granted again. Like, Superman has a Fortress of Solitude. Everybody knows that. So you don't question it. Except I distinctly remember it blowing up. And I remember that more than I remember it being brought back offscreen by some magic blue crystal from nowhere. It's an example of how some people cut the writers too much slack for nonsense they hope will be explained later.

It's like the Legion ring. It shows up, it's used for some gimmick. It's destroyed. Another one shows up. It's used for some gimmick. If your friend asks where that ring came from you just say, "Oh, some dude gave it to Clark." That's all the thought that ever went into it. It's this ridiculous thing that we don't ever question. We sit here talking about, "oh what if the future, blah blah blah, and the past blah blah blah," and here's this magic ring that nobody knows how to work. Does a holy gerbil pop out when you rub it and ask you to whisper where you want to travel to? Maybe! Who knows! It's sub-Silver Age writing. But at least the Silver Age was fun, not an emo soap opera that postpones fun at every turn.

I'll stop taking the show seriously when it stops taking itself seriously. And when it starts establishing some "fantasy rules." But right now, it has none. Anything can happen. Except anything enjoyable or logical.

BTW, the real reason Clark can't fly? He's wearing socks.

SUPERMAN NORTH
Sometimes i wonder why even bother posting I try to make a point and as typical its ignored hmmmm not goodAngry
[img]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/knightangel1/m_e4d298e10f6aa87b47d7e587bd806217.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.

superking
SUPERMAN NORTH wrote:
Sometimes i wonder why even bother posting I try to make a point and as typical its ignored hmmmm not goodAngry
I know what you mean it seems unless you write a thousand words its not worth responding 2 LOL...anyhoo i was wpndering why the black suit and yes it would have been good to see jor-el explain and present clark with his training gear, i would have preffered a thicker silver shield that looks more kryptonian than whats on now....when clark was in tha barn it looked kinda like tha t-shirts you can buy at k-mart...still i am glad he is wearing the s shield, i am hoping tho that this black costume can easily be turned into a blue trousers blue top with the iconic red shield and red jacket so basically the same outfit just different colors......????, i do think however red boots might be pushing tom a bit to far Smile

Edited by superking on 29/09/2009 18:34

SUPERMAN NORTH
I agree 100% superking of these extreemly long novelette answers and what you said of the outfitWink

Jump to Forum: