Superman Homepage » Television » Smallville
 Print Thread
Season 3 : a look back
TheSuperman
This was my favorite season, as I am sure most of you know.

But as I rewatch it, it becomes abundantly clear this is where the turning point in the show was. We all know what kind of sewage follows it. Much of it could have been avoided had they just continued the threads they built in seasons 1-3. I mean most of these seasons are wonderfully written. Even though they use the freak of the weak montra its all well written. I just got done watching perry, one of my fav episodes. I mean, a lot happens in this episode and it kinda brings me down to think of what followed. I mean how much better would it have been to have clark tell lana his secret in season 3 and avoid all the garbage lex clark lana triangle crap. We could have avoided bringing in lois and had Perry be the one who gets clark a job at the daily planet.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,

that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Leviticus 18-22 remember it.

Doright
I dissagree. I think once you take out the Lana Crap the last couple of seasons have been much better than season 3.

Season 3 was the point where the freak of the week thing was really getting old and the show needed to change it up to keep fresh. Plus clark was still in re-act mode as a hero. Not proactive mode like his now. There were some fantastic episodes but over all Clark was in stall mode in season 3 and that continued into 4. It wasn't until the last couple of years where he started being the proactive hero and thus I started to enjoy him more.
-----------------
Douglas Trumble

Johnjones
I agree Doright. IMO Season 1 and 3 are overated.
"Future events such as these, will effect you in the future."

-Plan 9 From Outer Space-

TheSuperman
i agree with you on proactive clark, but its all overshadowed by the horrid writing.

that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Doright
I don't think the Writing is horrid. I really don't.

They have dropped the ball on a few things sure. Lana is the biggest and I do feel they could have done better with Doomsday but Not best ever isn't the same as horrid in my book.

I think the other thing better now or seasons 6-8 anyway is the fact it's progressed into a scifi/action show more than a teen drama. Sure it still had teen drama moments but those were the focus in seasons 1-3 and the action/scifi stuff was secondary. Now it's switched up a bit. Not totally but enough to make the show better. IMHO.

-----------------
Douglas Trumble

TheSuperman
We are on polar opposite sides of the line doright, I have noticed how much the show has decreased in quality over the years, you havnt. I think the show is borderline watchable, you think its fantasmic. All I know is I was very entertained during seasons 1-3, They paid attention to detail, they had a bible and they stuck to it, After that it just seemed to be a bunch of thrown together stories for the sake of putting a product on television. I mean, i remember the producers saying they couldnt wait to do sason 4 because they were going to explore lex lana clark triangle, i mean thats just horrible. Granted, a lot of seasons 1-3 were about relatonships, but it all was pretty seamlessly woven into the overall story.

On a side note, I was watching transferrance, it something occurred to me.

Could the intention for the water stone have been to transferr Dr. swans spirit into clarks body all along? Was that their intention? I realize reeves died but still, seems to be what was intended.

Edited by TheSuperman on 28/08/2009 00:20

Steve Wright
I'm not so sure if that was their original intention, but it sure as hell would have been a kick ass thing for them to do. In a way, they would be letting Chris be Superman once more.

TheSuperman
I would have definitely been conflicted with that story line, it would have been inte4resting but im not sure how i would have felt about reeves as a villian.

Steve Wright
Well, he wouldn't have been a villain...They could have easily had him do it just so he could be able to walk again. It would have been a tightrope, no doubt, but it could have been something very interesting.

Johnjones
The only thing I know for a fact is true about Season 4 is that Bridget Crosby's scene with Martha Kent was intended to be Virgil Swann, but do to a conflicting schedule Chris Reeve couldn't make filming. I think that Virgil switching with Clark would have been a fantastic episode and interesting imagery. As it stands, Run and Transference were my two favorite episodes of Season 4 anyways, it just makes me wonder how much better it would have been with Chris Reeve's character instead.

Edited by Johnjones on 29/08/2009 15:36

"Future events such as these, will effect you in the future."

-Plan 9 From Outer Space-

Lex Vader
The irony is that where season 4 had magic Gatorade, the show suddenly had great cinematography (and nothing to use it on). Maybe that's just me. I don't have the DVDs to compare. But that's what I remember noticing.

I still think the China episode is cool. That's only one of maybe three times the show took place outside of Smalltropolis. The other times were Lex in Egypt and Brainiac in South America. I still applaud them using that China set, wherever they got it from. I wish every show could be that global. Even 24 never got outside of the U.S. for a whole episode beyond the DVD movie.

Steve Wright
China is relatively easy to reproduce. Almost every city has a China town section that can be used. Transformers 2 had scenes set in China and they were actually filmed in the Bethelehem PA area.

Finally one of the reasons that a lot of shows film in Vancouver is because it can look like almost ANY city in the world.

And I disagree about the cinematography being suddenly prevalent in Season 4. I think that if you go back to the end of season 2 you can start to see it get better and better.

OddlySurreal
I wish every show could be that global.

Alias had a lot of globe trotting. Unfortunately budget mismanagement led to some global spots looking a little unconvincing. But there were plenty of really great ones in there.

Doright
TheSuperman wrote:
We are on polar opposite sides of the line doright, I have noticed how much the show has decreased in quality over the years, you havnt. I think the show is borderline watchable, you think its fantasmic. All I know is I was very entertained during seasons 1-3, They paid attention to detail, they had a bible and they stuck to it, After that it just seemed to be a bunch of thrown together stories for the sake of putting a product on television. I mean, i remember the producers saying they couldnt wait to do sason 4 because they were going to explore lex lana clark triangle, i mean thats just horrible. Granted, a lot of seasons 1-3 were about relatonships, but it all was pretty seamlessly woven into the overall story.

Could the intention for the water stone have been to transferr Dr. swans spirit into clarks body all along? Was that their intention? I realize reeves died but still, seems to be what was intended.

You know I don't think the show has declined in quality other than maybe a noticable decline in budget.

I do think the show has always had certain quirks in how it tells stories that some see as bad writing or production. They have always been there. That's just kind of how they do it. They don't dot every i and cross every T. Right or wrong but lots of shows are like that and Smallville has been like that since day one. It's sort of a part of the way Hollywood does things. Sure the Best of the best don't but that's just life.

I just think that after 8 years and a bit more stricted a budget those quirks stand out more than they did in the first couple of years.

IE after watching 30-40 episodes those quirks are not as obvious as they are after watching 100-120 episodes.
-----------------
Douglas Trumble

Lex Vader
Steve, I don't think they have a Chinatown in Vancouver. I'm pretty sure it was a set (it had like, one street). I assumed it was leftover from some other show, since Smallville has a habit of just using the same sets over and over.

TheSuperman
Doright wrote:
TheSuperman wrote:

You know I don't think the show has declined in quality other than maybe a noticable decline in budget.

I do think the show has always had certain quirks in how it tells stories that some see as bad writing or production. They have always been there. That's just kind of how they do it. They don't dot every i and cross every T. Right or wrong but lots of shows are like that and Smallville has been like that since day one. It's sort of a part of the way Hollywood does things. Sure the Best of the best don't but that's just life.

I just think that after 8 years and a bit more stricted a budget those quirks stand out more than they did in the first couple of years.

IE after watching 30-40 episodes those quirks are not as obvious as they are after watching 100-120 episodes.

I know you havnt noticed it, but i have, it ranges from small to big. I mean in the early seasons clark would check to see if anyone was looking before he speeded off. After season 3 or so he just took off in the blink of an eye in front of anyone and everyone. Theyve ruined characters(chloe, maxima, even green arrow to some extent) Theyve misused characters( what was the point in making GA a regular if you arnt even going to use him in costume most of the time?) Theyve had horrid writing(season 7 anyone? Writers strike or not its inexcusable, and they essentially brought Kara on for no reason at all|). They had lex discover clarks secret with absolutely no payoff. They brought back a double, but wopty do.

On and on and on it goes, when it stops nobody knows.

Doright
They trapped themselves with Oliver. They couldn't have him in costume TOO much because it would kind of force them to put clark in costume sooner than they wanted.

I bet now that Clark has a costume they will be more willing to put Oliver in his too.
-----------------
Douglas Trumble

TheSuperman
Doright wrote:
They trapped themselves with Oliver. They couldn't have him in costume TOO much because it would kind of force them to put clark in costume sooner than they wanted.

I bet now that Clark has a costume they will be more willing to put Oliver in his too.

I dont care if they trapped themselves, they should never have signed him as a regular then.

Oh, and they introduce jimmy freeking olson and then decide to pull the pin on that little idea and say "psych yo mind" by killing him off and saying he really wasnt jimmy olson.

I actually really liked how the actor potrayed Jimmy, at least until the genius writers of smallville decided to make him have some dark shrouded stupid past. When did a normal good hearted person become uninteresting? Does everyone have to come from bad homes, with bad parents?

Please.

Edited by TheSuperman on 02/09/2009 21:48

FlashGordon
Finally one of the reasons that a lot of shows film in Vancouver is because it can look like almost ANY city in the world.

I don't think Metropolis looks that great. Vancouver is used because it's cheaper. It doesn't look like ANY city. It looks nothing like the great NYC.

I agree with TheSuperman though. They missed the boat. Seasons 1-3 had a great focus and a rapidly moving plot. I could see THAT Clark becoming the Superman we all know and love. This current Clark? Not at all.

Perry should have been the one that got him the job, since he did owe him.

Clark should have revealed himself to Lana and left Smallville to travel the world. He could always have come back and the other characters would still be a part of the show, just Clark would be doing his soul searching worldwide.

Chole should have disapeared after her house blew up (resurface as Lois, years later). Lots of stuff could have been done. "Destiny was calling him home!"

Supereyes
I live in China, the China episode in season 4 of Smallville for me made me pissed off. For one thing, the sterotyping of the Chinese security guards being evil, and the music, and the lifestyle shown outside looks very Chinatown.

That's all ancient China, China is really nothing like that anymore.

Speaking of how good the first 3 seasons were, despite having a freak of the week, and that it was written well anyways, I find like the season 1 episode, "Drone" was very well written.

And even though Sasha Woodman is freaky as hell, probably the most freaky of them all, I mean the whole bee thing, HOW did they come up with such an idea? The bees obey their master, Sasha Woodman. Was that her name or the actress' name?

The episode was written pretty strongly, I enjoyed in. Clark running for class president, Sasha Woodman being the villain of the episode, and there was some action in it as well. Good writing as well, nice references to "The Godfather" when Clark and Lana were talking about how terrible it is.

It would be nice to have some weekly villains, it doesn't mean they have to be a DC comics villain, but definetly not a meteor freak, we've already had enough of that.

It could just be a villain with powers, not a meteor freak though, by some other cause, a lab accident or soemthing, as long as it tells a good story.

I mean before, in the first three seasons, you didn't really know what to expect which is what was good about it, there was alway something new and fresh.

But now a days, it's like we know what will be coming in an upcoming episode, a little aftermath and continuation from a previous episode, soap opera, we know this because we can only expect very little to happen, and only once in a great while, something huge to happen.

Example: Season 5's last half, and areas in season 6, we all know the good ones though. (Zod, Sneeze, Arrow, Reunon, Fallout, Rage, Justice, Labyrinth, Crimson, Freak, Promise and Phantom) The rest were well, dull, in other words, just Clana, Lana getting stalked, and the rest were only average.

Season 7, God I won't talke about that. Just two words: Grant Gabriel and...well the second half is...hard to explain, there was nothing much important happening, that's why.

I would have been satisfied with season 8 if it wasn't for "Doomsday" which made me change my mind on buying the season 8 DVD.
[img]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/Supereyes/clois.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

~I look upon my powers as a gift...Not mine alone, but for anyone who needs them~
Superman: Peace on Earth

Click Here to see my Super Fan Art!:
http://groups.msn...lery2.msnw

Jump to Forum: