Print Thread
Have you ever wondered ??
AKalel
If Donner had not been fired and he was kept on for number 2 if it would of been like the Donner cut or some variation of it. Also in turn what kind of effect that would of done to 3 and 4.

NeoRanger
I never took Donner for someone who'd stick around on a franchise long enough, Lethal Weapon notwithstanding. Superman II would probably be a lot better (his intended Superman II- not that mess that is the DVD Donner Cut), but from there on... I doubt he would've stuck around. And even if he had, there's this much you can do with a continuously declining budget. God himself couldn't direct a better Superman IV, when the budget for the special effects could only cover the gas to drive to the warehouse with the props of STM.

Chiptooth
SIII and SIV might have been more tolerable, but it probably wouldn't change things like Pryor getting a starring role in the third one just by gushing about the first two films on the Tonight Show, or WB's then-administration refusing to sign off on Brainiac or a legitimate Bizarro or any other villain from the comics.
http://jochimus.deviantart.com/

UltraWoman
Chiptooth wrote:
SIII and SIV might have been more tolerable, but it probably wouldn't change things like Pryor getting a starring role in the third one just by gushing about the first two films on the Tonight Show, or WB's then-administration refusing to sign off on Brainiac or a legitimate Bizarro or any other villain from the comics.

Actually had Donner been able to do SIII I somehow doubt Pryor would have been hired because Hackman could very easily said he would come back (I get the feeling he didn't continue with III because of Donner no longer being involved). Now I seriously doubt they would have had a little Lois as they did and I think SII might well have been pretty good (or at least better). Assuming SIII did better than it did in actuality it's likely that he would have gotten to be involved with SIV (under the Salkinds not the Cannon films which did produce SIV). Now if it had done exactly the same as SIII then the film rights would still have shifted to Cannon and it would be doubtful he would have been the director for it.

The lack of other major villians besides Luthor WOULD have been a stifling factor in the production of said movies however so maybe things would have stayed the same.

NY4Superman
If Donner hadn't been fired I'm certain Superman II would've been better, Superman III would've been different & maybe the franchise might not have gone down the way it did.
"Marriage is an institution, It takes commitment. If that doesn't constitute a nut house, I don't know what does."
-Gene Simmons

copacetic
Seeing as how the Lethal Weapon franchise held up pretty well under his direction, I think a Superman franchise heading into the late 80s would have been just as successful. Superman II was finished using a lot of Donner ideas and shots, was a little slapdash but it's still considered a classic. So one can imagine what it would have been like if its true tone was retained if Donner was never fired. The Donner Cut only gave us a glimpse of that, since that's more of a workprint than a finished film.

Whogaman
NeoRanger wrote:
I never took Donner for someone who'd stick around on a franchise long enough, Lethal Weapon
notwithstanding. Superman II would probably be a lot better (his intended Superman
II- not that mess that is the DVD Donner Cut), but from there on... I doubt he would've stuck around. And even if he had, there's this much you can do with a continuously declining budget. God himself couldn't direct a better Superman IV, when the budget for the special effects
could only cover the gas to drive to the warehouse with the props of STM

I kind of think that if Richard Donner had finished Superman II as he had envisioned it, one would think that he would have been given the budget for special effects for III and IV and those two movies might have been better than they were.

Peace Whoga
[img]https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/1543679_624694037566834_909789152_n.jpg?oh=448b277b52c10f94d290f54275a18dc1&oe=52D8C0FD[/img]=====================================
"Like the only real magic -- The magic of knowledge."

AKalel
Here is another wonder. Now I know some people were not happy with SMallville but you ever wonder if SMallville had only lasted one season if we would of seen another live action Superman movie and if so would it of been like Returns or something completely different.

Lois
If Donner had been kept on as director we would have definitely had a different III and IV. Donner would have kept to the formula of having Lex Luthor as a villain and perhaps more villains from Kryton or even Brainiac! I doubt Pryor would have been cast in Superman III had Donner continued at the helm.
Read my mind.

Lois

>AKalel wrote:

Here is another wonder. Now I know some people were not happy with SMallville but you ever wonder if SMallville had only lasted one season if we would of seen another live action Superman movie and if so would it of been like Returns or something completely different.

I think we would have seen a live action Superman movie anyway. The fans wanted one! I often wondered if Brainiac would have been in the movie.
Read my mind.

Jump to Forum: