Print Thread
SUPERMAN REBOOT IDEAS & RUMORS
teharri1311
I think I have to respectfully disagree with you . I think you do give a good point, but i must stress that I think Superman needs something new and fresh and new. With a villain like Brainiac, who I assume you and I both agree is a good choice, could really pose a massive threat to superman and the world. Have we seen any villain in any other movie in the last few years pose a direct threat globally.

Imagine Brainiac comes to earth in his ship ala ID4, tricks superman into thinking he is an ally. He befriends superman so that he can gain access to the fortress to extract the kryptonian data. He unleashes a nasty virus which shuts down all weapons in the world. Then begins his attack and has tons of gizmos and gadgets to fight superman with: lasrers, elecrticity, hand to hand, plus little bots to terroize metropolis.

copacetic
teharri1311 wrote:
I think I have to respectfully disagree with you . I think you do give a good point, but i must stress that I think Superman needs something new and fresh and new. With a villain like Brainiac, who I assume you and I both agree is a good choice, could really pose a massive threat to superman and the world. Have we seen any villain in any other movie in the last few years pose a direct threat globally.

Imagine Brainiac comes to earth in his ship ala ID4, tricks superman into thinking he is an ally. He befriends superman so that he can gain access to the fortress to extract the kryptonian data. He unleashes a nasty virus which shuts down all weapons in the world. Then begins his attack and has tons of gizmos and gadgets to fight superman with: lasrers, elecrticity, hand to hand, plus little bots to terroize metropolis.

That scenario doesn't really denote any dramatic tension, just straight ahead action and tension. Since fans have been clamoring for a Superman story that really speaks to the heart of the character, I really wanted to see a story where Superman's loyalties are called into question: who are his "real" parents, Jor El and Lara who saved him from Krypton's destruction, or Jonathan and Martha who raised him (especially difficult if there appears to be an alterante Krypton where the former are alive and well)? Is his responsibility to Earth, his adopted home, or to Krypton, no matter what dimension it exists in? Then there's the opposite nature of Zod - he may have the exact same powers as Superman, but he chooses to use them for evil purposes. It's a very grounded story, in my opinion, that can open the door for far much more than just blowing the whole wad on Brainiac right away.

teharri1311
My idea for the story is for if they started a Superman story as if Superman is already revealed to the world. Not a continuation of the other versions, but it is not completely necessary for a background since everyone and their mother basically know his story.

I like all of you ideas except for having Zod.

copacetic
teharri1311 wrote:
My idea for the story is for if they started a Superman story as if Superman is already revealed to the world. Not a continuation of the other versions, but it is not completely necessary for a background since everyone and their mother basically know his story.

I like all of you ideas except for having Zod.

My story doesn't actually continue the story of Superman Returns or any of the old CR movies. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, we see a Superman who's already established - no origin story, at least not till a movie further down the line.

I don't really see the point of arguing this, since it's not like this is a movie that's being made - it's just an idea I had. I don't even write fan fiction (shudder), I just thought it would be neat to see this stuff. It's not like WB is sitting taking notes from threads like this. Grin

superdupe6934
Why not make use of Bruno Manheim and the Intergang for a first film? That way Superman could have gradually increasing threats something along the lines of Intergang<Metallo<Brainiac? You could even set up John Corben as a sweeper/enforcer for Manheim.

NeoRanger
I'm certainly not rooting for Zod either, but it's unlikely there won't be a super-powered (probably alien) threat in the next Superman film. I would normally agree that escalation is the best way to go about it, but after the action Waterloo of "Returns" and the long absence of an explosive high-budget Superman film, especially in this day and age, WB won't be taking risks.

garry23rd
with a this court stuff going on they better get a idea going quick otherwise another superman movie will never happen. they should just get started on the death of superman, and make that a trilogy, that's one idea?
Garry Janzen

Chiptooth
garry23rd wrote:
with a this court stuff going on they better get a idea going quick otherwise another superman movie will never happen. they should just get started on the death of superman, and make that a trilogy, that's one idea?

Actually, if WB really is willing to bum-rush another Superman film into theaters in order to get a jump on the ruling - not that that actually would be a good idea (but then that's never stopped Hollywood before) - they'd probably do just as well at this point to enlist Orci and Kurtzman and have them shift back into "Star Trek" mode (as opposed to "TF:ROTF" mode) to get one more re-write or two out of Smith's SUPERMAN LIVES script; then just repurpose and tweak all that lovely concept art that WB bought and paid for out of Burton's and Abrams' and McG's various designers.
http://jochimus.deviantart.com/

FlashGordon
I like Metallo for the first one, if hes tweaked a tad bit. You can have Lex in the background (maybe as Clark's friend and rival for Lois's affections) pulling the strings, Intergang and Morgan Edge can be trying to take Metropolis from him. Slowly you could build towards Brainiac and/or General Zod (which are musts).

The Red-Blue Blur
Zod belongs in a sequel with Parasite and Metallo. I want Brainiac and Lex for the first one....

The Red-Blue Blur
How about this (I am writing of a Superman fan script reboot I have been writing in free time)...

A page in a script is apparently 1 minute in movie time.

6 pages of Jor-El on Krypton at the beginning. (I will post my script when I am done with it, I think you guys will like it, I got a lot of inspiration from this thread.)

2 pages of the meteor shower with Jonathon and Martha Kent finding Kal-El and everything...

Young Kal-El stands in the kitchen, red blanket around his waist. He stands by the wall, in front of the refridgerator. John stands next to him. Martha looks in the fridge as the camera turns, blocking Kal-El. When the camera stops, he is 16, ready to go to Smallville High in the morning.

3 pages of Smallville High with Pete, Lana, and Clark. (And just like in Smallville's first season...) Clark falls in the gym after a kid throws a football at him by accident. When he is slowly getting up, he sees through the girl's locker room wall. Pete Ross (standing above Clark, about to answer his question of where Lana went off to) asks what's wrong, Clark tells him about the wall, Pete says he was about five when the first meteor shower was, Clark doubts he is a meteor freak.

3 pages of Clark being at Kent Farm, asking John what is wrong with him, etc. John tells him (also mentions the blue and red fabrics inside of the pod), John opens a black led box that Jor-El sent with Kal-El in the pod. Inside is one Kryptonite crystal and a plain clear crystal. Clark backs away, chocking. John closes the box. (Earlier on Krypton with Jor-El, the counsel mentions that Kryptonite could be used as a medical resource which is why he sent it with Kal-El.)

I haven't wrote the rest, but this was a small summary. The script so far is 12 pages. Villains are: Lex, Eradicator (villain at the end only), Toyman (bits), Brainiac (not exactly a big part, Jor-El mentions him as does the counsel at the Krypton scene), and Lionel Luthor (not really a villain, just the same Smallville version). After credits we see Rudy Jones turning into Parasite after Rudy (scientist for STAR Labs) is talking to Lex about the parasite symbiote. The room behind them (creating Brainiac types of droids so that Lex can bring him back to life) explodes, the parasite's tank explodes, Rudy falls, the parasite crawls over Rudy. Kind of like Venom.

And the beginning scene and ending scene are basically the same but the first one has Jor-El, running from cops, in the snow on Krypton and talking about how his life is gone, and in the last scene, Clark is abandoning his life in the snow where he later plants the crystal and finds the Fortress. Do you guys like it?? I will try to post the script as soon as possible. Villains for the sequel are Parasite, Lex (of course in bits), Zod, and Brainiac (in a realistic way). Metallo's origin would feature Brainiac's system or something with the whole origin after credits....

Please reply.

The Red-Blue Blur
I forgot: John Jones would play a cameo type of part with Clark's coming to Superman. John could tell Clark some things about his past since Clark hasn't discovered the Fortress yet with Jor-El's voice....

The Red-Blue Blur
Please reply to my last two posts!!

superdupe6934
The following is an excerpt from a proposal I intend to send into WB studios that outlines my thoughts and ideas for a new series of films, give me your thoughts

[sic]....Fans were Superman completely reintroduced, with a film that would draw out of his massive comic book history, to give the new generation of superhero lovers a more dynamic Man of Steel than had ever been seen.? This Superman was supposed to be a truly impressive spectacle, showcasing incredible feats of strength and alien power.? In contrast to this larger than life persona, Clark Kent should have been emphasized as a normal everyman, struggling with all the problems one would expect from a country mouse living in the big city: his job is rewarding, but stressful, his co-workers more or less snub him and the girl he has a thing for couldn?t care less for the quiet, bespectacled geek, especially when there?s a tall, handsome superhero soaring around Metropolis. ??Luthor, who in recent years has returned more to his mad scientist origins as a villain wasn?t supposed to be some land-crazed petty thug out to commit the ?crime of the century?, rather he should be a wealthy, Machiavellian super genius, secretly controlling Metropolis with an iron fist while presenting a public fa?ade of beneficence.? Superman was to supposed to have challenges equal to his power in the form of such villainous luminaries as Metallo, the Parasite or if Singer still chose to do so, expound further on Luthor?s threats of subduing world dissent through the use of advanced Kryptonian weaponry.? This would give Superman a larger than life challenge that would have audiences rooting for him to pull through the same way they rooted for Batman, Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Therefore it is my suggestion that the new Superman films return to the origins of what makes the character so unique among his contemporaries and makes use some of his more famous stories to give him new life.

Storylines
? Birthright
? A Man For All Seasons
? Superman: Confidential
? Secret Origin currently being written by Geoff Johns

These stories all tell of Superman?s formative early years in Metropolis.? He is presented as a young man just making his way into the real world, struggling to understand whether or not he is meant to be a hero and the conflict that Superman brings into his interactions with others, in particular Lois Lane and Lex Luthor.? These stories also emphasize the importance of Clark?s dependence upon the Kents rather than a computerized Jor-El for emotional support and guidance as he works to reconcile his alien heritage with his earthly upbringing.? These tales also show the rewards that come from Clark?s persistence: He gains the enmity of Luthor, but the favor of the entire city. He lost a family and a home world, but gained a new one by being taught by the Kents to accept his differences and use them to make earth better for everyone.? Clark?s fellow journalists at the Planet ignore him or look down on him, but he gains a friend in Jimmy Olsen, who often finds himself in the same boat as Mr. Kent due to his young age and freelance status and the two are able to bond over their mutual loneliness and develop a sibling like relationship.? Lois may pine for Superman, but Clark is slowly beginning to win her over by consistently being the kind of guy he was raised by the Kents to be: kind, honest and always there in a pinch.
Having a good story is imperative to making audiences connect with our characters, but if the characters themselves can?t breathe life into the story then the whole thing falls apart.? It is with this in mind that I offer my suggestions as to how the portrayals of Superman, Lois and Luthor should be presented.

Clark Kent/Superman
? A young man entering his mid-twenties and getting ready to enter the world and be his own man.

? Clark feels unsure about the way people will react towards him if they realize what he?s capable of, but also has a strong desire to use his natural gifts for the benefit of others.

? His parents reveal his alien origins.? This at first confuses and angers Clark.? His whole life he was raised to believe that he was human (albeit very different) and now that has come crashing down.? He streaks to the field where John and Martha buried his ship years ago and vents.? Striking the ground, Clark unearths the vessel and takes what he can out of it.? Returning home he reconciles with his family and his mother decides to help Clark fashion a heroic alter-ego in the fashion of characters like the Lone Ranger or the Phantom.? His costume is created from materials found in the ship that brought him to earth.

? Clark journeys to Metropolis to start a career, but finds that city life is nowhere near what he imagined: the people are rude, there?s crime everywhere, his job is menial, with low pay and his co workers treat him like a doormat due to his ?new guy? status.
?
? Though he is the ideal ?nice guy? that all the singles, (such as the attractive Cathy ?Cat? Grant) at the office claim to be looking for, he is consistently passed over for dates by them for the more aggressive and somewhat obnoxious reporters.
?
? His articles provide insight on the growing level of corruption in Metropolis, the connection between famed philanthropist Lex Luthor and Bruno Manheim, leader of the Intergang crime syndicate.? He also reveals the effects that such corrosion is having on the citizens of Metropolis and champions the causes of underdogs who try to make the city better.
?
? As Superman, Clark is something of a quiet force.? His appearances are brief, to the point and always astounding. They're so brief that some people consider the Superman to be nothing more than an urban myth. Some even say that Superman may be just like that bat-psycho in Gotham City. Realizing that he can?t stay like this forever, Superman arranges for a private one on one interview with?
?
Lois Lane
?
? A tough, no nonsense kind of girl, Lois takes great pride in her ability to compete in and dominate the world of journalism which is usually seen as the province of men.
?
? She?s around the same age as Clark but has none of his illusions about city life and little hope for a city that continues to prove that as long as bad people throw enough money to the right places, they are invincible and beyond reproach.
?
? Lois is also well versed in being able to take care of herself.? She was raised as an army brat by her father, general Sam Lane and knows how to throw a mean haymaker as well as getting into and out of the worst sort of trouble.
?
? Her time in Metropolis has made her very rough edged, but Lois doesn?t lack a compassionate side.? She?s recently taken Jimmy Olsen under her wing and woe be unto anyone who treats him bad while she?s around.? She has also found another pet project in the form of Clark Kent. ?While his writing and stories are top notch, his ability to assert himself is sadly lacking.? Sure he?s really sweet and a welcome change from the normal Lotharios she works with, but Clark?s agreeable demeanor comes with a serious lack of confidence or self assurance.? If Clark would ever stop being so damned resistant to her advice, she might even let him take her out.
?
? The Superman is an even bigger mystery.? A guy who explodes out of the sky, saves people and then just takes off without a word?? Something stinks here and Lois wants to know what the real deal is.? Still, this Superman has been improving the quality of living in Metropolis as of late.? He?s even got Bruno Manheim nervous and if ol? Bruno isn?t making good business, that only means trouble for?
?
Lex Luthor

? A self made man in every sense of the word.? He?s topped Forbes's 100 richest people for the last 10 years and his technological breakthroughs have made Metropolis one of the richest cities in America.

? To Luthor, Metropolis is a fiefdom of which he is baron.? Anyone who has ever made a living here has only done so because of him and they should do well to remember that just as he gave Metropolis its splendor, he could take it away.
?
? Lex presents the public ideal of the humble rich man. ?He has sponsored more than 100 of his own charities and gives to countless others.? Lex corp is also looking to cash in on commercial space travel and the colonization of other planets.? If ever there were a man that could cure cancer, it seems Lex would be it.
?
? Luthor also takes just as much care if not more, of his illegal dealings with Intergang.? Manheim may be a clod, but he?s a clod with a large empire and lots of firepower. As long as he keeps the mob and other major corporations out of Metropolis, Lex reigns supreme.? Bruno is also quite easy to control, throw him some cash or a party every once in a while and he?ll slobber and bark just like the rest of the dogs in this city.
?
? But lately new reports are coming in and it appears that trouble is on the horizon.? A blue and crimson guardian has descended upon Metropolis and word on the grapevine is that he?s gunning for Intergang and anyone connected to them.? Let this ?Superman? try to touch him, he?ll learn the hard way that neither man nor Superman ever crosses Lex Luthor and comes away scot free.? In the meantime there is the matter of the fascinating technology that has been uncovered from an old field in Kansas?
?
By making use of these characterizations and starting from the beginning, the actors who come to inhabit these iconic characters have a chance to grow along with them from film to film. ?Without the burden of any prior history, the crew can inhabit the characters in a way that feels comfortable and natural, without the baggage that comes with having to live up to someone else?s performance.? With a new background established around familiar faces, audiences will feel like they are a part of something that was written for them, not as an homage to a previous film.? Making use of the comics is also a key ingredient to understanding these characters and how their motivations and personalities change over time.? The comics also provide ways to create scenarios that non comic readers will never have come across and that make the new film a real treat for them as they see something completely unprecedented.

Edited by superdupe6934 on 04/08/2009 18:37

The Red-Blue Blur
Please, please reply! lol. I really want to see what you guys think.

superdupe6934
Your stuff sounds pretty solid from what I've read. However, you haven't got very much to kick off with, twenty minutes max if the 1 page= 1 minute theory is true. What would be your cast considerations and where would you like to set production given your preference? Do you think any of my ideas could mesh well with your construct of Superman's world?

The Red-Blue Blur
superdupe6934 wrote:
Your stuff sounds pretty solid from what I've read. However, you haven't got very much to kick off with, twenty minutes max if the 1 page= 1 minute theory is true. What would be your cast considerations and where would you like to set production given your preference? Do you think any of my ideas could mesh well with your construct of Superman's world?

Thanks for the reply. I like Erica Durance as Lois for my pick or the actress who played as the Silk Spectre in Watchmen... You're ideas are pretty basic simple. I don't like how Clark learns of his alien past in his mid twenties though. My Lex ideal is simulair to the Smallville version and the Superman Doomsday version.

superdupe6934
In retrospect, it does make sense, that Clark learning about his origins in his twenties is a bit late, however, I do think that the films might benefit from a little simplicity in story. While we as fans of the character understand a lot of his finer points and more obscure history, regular movie goers may need a bit more gentle nudging into the super-waters. Sticking with the essentials as a starter gives the fans an acceptable launching point for more elaborate stories, it also gives the johnny come lately's a chance to hop on the wagon without feeling left out. What do you think?

The Red-Blue Blur
superdupe6934 wrote:
In retrospect, it does make sense, that Clark learning about his origins in his twenties is a bit late, however, I do think that the films might benefit from a little simplicity in story. While we as fans of the character understand a lot of his finer points and more obscure history, regular movie goers may need a bit more gentle nudging into the super-waters. Sticking with the essentials as a starter gives the fans an acceptable launching point for more elaborate stories, it also gives the johnny come lately's a chance to hop on the wagon without feeling left out. What do you think?
I think the story would be somewhat boring if it were to be simple. I mean, everybody has seen Superman: The Movie, that wasn't exactly simple but it was easy to understand and the story was original. I love the eigth season of Smallville with Doomsday, etc, maybe the film could have a simulair feel with that X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Batman Begins. A very realistic, modern, high tech, dirty feel...

I know Davis Bloome's Doomsday story was only for Smallville but maybe Davis could be brought into the movies as a cameo, maybe there could be about 3 different endings in the next Superman movie in other states. One could be my ideal Parasite origin I wrote about earlier, another could be Zod escaping the Phantom Zone, and the other could include a bit of Davis Bloome turning into Doomsday or finding out he is Doomsday.... By the way, I don't want Zod to be his father like in Smallville. I'll post a script sometime here with my idea for a Doomsday origin.

superdupe6934
I guess I need to word myself more carefully. When I say simplicity, I don't mean a repetition of the same wonder bread story that we've all heard. I mean simplicity in sticking to the roots of the characters and how they interact with each other. Sure Clark and Lois have their usual banter, but we could have it presented as more playfully competitive than the outright sour way it's presented in earlier stories. Sure, Clark is kind of a doof, but it's more because he's unfamiliar with Metropolis and its residents rather than seeming outright socially retarded. In fact aside from some social awkwardness, Clark should be presented as very sharp, with a keen ear for choice information and an ability to become lost in a room to the point where if someone were to say that a shady deal was going down at Hob's Bay, he'd have heard it and been tracing leads before you even knew he was there. In fact the best way to approach a new series of movies would probably be as an urban-undercover mystery series than an outright space opera. Think Star Wars meets State of Play.

Jump to Forum: