Print Thread
Am I the only one who perfers Superman to be the sole survivor of Krypton.
Young Superman
Am I the only one who perfers Superman to be the sole survivor of Krypton. Just wondering, it makes him more unique and more of a miracle in the universe. And the tragedy of Krypton worth something. If they must have a Supergirl I perfer they don't, it should be Kara In-Ze the only survivor from Krypton's sister planet Argos, from Superman: the animated series.

NeoRanger
Nope, you're not the only one. I recall distinctly that I was disappointed New Krypton didn't just blow up in "Lois & Clark" and at the time, I wasn't even familiar with Byrne's insistence for Superman to be the only Kryptonian survivor.

Having said that, let's wait and see what happens in the end of the New Krypton storyline and how Superwoman will be dealt with eventually. I don't like Zor El's kid either, but I can tolerate her, if she's the only other Kryptonian survivor.

copacetic
You're not alone (pun intended) in that sentiment.

I never liked the whole extended family nonsense. Kara Zor El, people of Kandor, all the Kryptonians they revealed earlier in 2008 (the exiled Kryptonian military), none of it. I always felt that the character of Supergirl was and still is a very patronizing, apologetic character. She doesn't stand on her own right as long as she's wearing the same S insignia and is known as Superman's cousin. She's standing in his shadow all the time (as recently as in Final Crisis) and I can't take her seriously as a female heroine - something comics always lack.

I'd say, make Superman absolutely unique by having him be the one and only survivor of Krypton. Either that, or make Superman the only Kryptonian capable of having super powers, while the others are more humanoid. If Kara exists, have her only exist as Power Girl - she's a lot stronger and more respectable a character than Supergirl.

Young Superman
Thanks for reponding to my post guys. I was starting to think I was the only one who thought Superman should be the one and only survivor of Krypton anymore.

FlashGordon
I agree that Superman should be the only surviving Kryptonian. It adds so much more to the character. Also I always found it convenient that he had an actual blood relative on Earth. Supergirl, if necessary, shouldn't be part of the House of El. She should either be a random Kryptonian OR a different creature all together [ like Matrix ].

Young Superman
FlashGordon wrote:
I agree that Superman should be the only surviving Kryptonian. It adds so much more to the character. Also I always found it convenient that he had an actual blood relative on Earth. Supergirl, if necessary, shouldn't be part of the House of El. She should either be a random Kryptonian OR a different creature all together [ like Matrix ].

Agreed.

Duncan B
Definately not i completely agree. except krypto. And powergirl. I liked the character of kon but hes not from krypton technically
'I am Clark...Supermans just what i do'

NeoRanger
Kon was sort of a brother and son (and a lot more likeable than Mr. Underused Unnecessary, a.k.a. Chris), so he probably doesn't fall under that category.

James-El
I wanted Superman, Kal-El to be unique. Somehow stronger than all the other Kryptonians. I don't really mind that there are survivors (100,000 of them)

It adds to his character, with 100,000 Kryptonians not on his side will he actually attempt to fight most of them even though he cannot possibly win? Hell yeah he'll try because that's what Superman is & does, he never lets the SUPER come before the MAN.

Also if he was unique i would go with something like this. He was naturally born, not grown (if this is still relevant in the modern age, i don't care if it is or isn't, the Superman Universe is doing fine and i like it) He is a step ahead of every Kryptonian evolution wise.

In the upcoming Secret Origin, hopefully it will say something about how Kryptonians are born, if there is a problem with mating amongst Kryptonians. I don't think there will be, but meh.

Superman: "I'm for everyone"

Super4Ever
I believe that did away with that whole Birthing Matrix idea. It would seem Kryptonians just mate naturally now.

Pipesy
I had my doubts at the beginning but I've really enjoyed the arc. I think if they play it out the right way it could make Superman a better character- I can imagine them eventually doing away with "New Krypton" in some disaster that Supes can't stop- giving him the pain of being alone again- only this time reinforced by the fact he had it back and lost it again...could be cool.
Pipesy

Xan-El
Supergirls arc in New Krypton has been extremely disapointing.. to the point of me actually not liking the character.. at all. They could do so much more with her.. rather than have her be constantly crying and drama, etc. I'd rather see a rebelious Supergirl.. then an emotional wreck Supergirl..

The whole family plot line.. gawd.. it's pretty lame.

The only cool thing about 100,000 Kryptonians and New Krypton is that we will eventually see them all back in a bottle.. lol. It's going to happen.. they're not going to be here for long.

What makes Superman unique imo.. Is the fact that he's not the only survior from Krypton.. but the fact that he shines brighter than all of the Kryptonians.. he's definitely not one of them.. and it is evident from Supergirl, to Zod/Ursa/Non... to the rest of the Kryps..(lol). Infact, I can't stand the arrogance of what I've read and the sheer brithright expectations that they bring to the table. "Oooo.. a yellow sun.. super powers.. I'm better and more powerful.." I hope they all burn actually. Wink They deserve to be put back into a bottle and smashed on the street corner! hahaha..

It's an easy decision.. Superman is definitely better off being the last son of krypton... and the only survivor. Imagine Bruce Waynes parents returning from the dead!? .. His entire reason for becoming Batman.. gone. Superman is Superman because of Martha and Johnathan Kent.. Not because of Krypton, his birth parents, or his past.

Which is exactly where they should be left.. in the past.. or in a bottle.. or in the phantom zone.

Now.. on a brighter note.. would be if Superman could visit a pocket universe where Krypton didn't explode and he could go and see first hand "what would have happened" had he never come to earth... probably an awesome wakeup call for him.. and a greater appreciation for mankind and Ma & Pa Kent! That would be a fun story.. not a 100,000 damn Kryp's flying around.

~X
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/xanderfox/banner20072.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

OddlySurreal
I think Superman needs to be the sole survivor... for a part of his life.

Reading this New Krypton arc and the prequel Brainiac arc, it occurred to me that as a character development, a plot development and a mythology development, there needs to be a point where Superman is NO LONGER the last son of Krypton.

A large part of his character rests on his being the last Kryptonian alive, it's part of what motivates him to apply his abilities the way he does (including the influence of the Kents) because it is the signifier that he is the "other" in human society. He's apart, different, and the way he pursues acceptance is to be Superman.

As positive and rosy as Superman's personality is, this part of him is inescapably tragic. It's not dark, it's just sad. So for Superman to encounter 100,000 of his own kind and have it become a source of conflict for him and not, you know, his dreams come true, is just an incredible thing for him to face. His greatest challenge.

There is now not a single Superman-related thing I look forward to more than when Superman emerges from this conflict as a symbol of hope for his own people, emerges as Superman to Krypton, even though he's just one in 100,000. To me, that will be the biggest victory of his character. It will be the hardest, most solid proof that Superman's powers don't make the man and that he can rise above his own equals as the symbol of hope.

I have some issues with the writing quality of this arc, but they're greatly overshadowed by what it means to the Superman mythology.
I can't wait to see how it pans out.

copacetic
Sertan wrote:

Very nicely put. I loved that post, thank you.

NeoRanger
As positive and rosy as Superman's personality is, this part of him is inescapably tragic. It's not dark, it's just sad. So for Superman to encounter 100,000 of his own kind and have it become a source of conflict for him and not, you know, his dreams come true, is just an incredible thing for him to face. His greatest challenge.

If it's a one-time deal. Unlike TV and movies, comics tend to drag for far too long to not have to maintain a certain status quo. Meaning that all the above are true, assuming New Krypton will end up back in that bottle.

... Some exposition regarding Superman's conflict wouldn't be all that bad either.

Do keep in mind, though, that the "sole survivor" issue doesn't come up just with the survivors of New Krypton. It's also right there with Kara, Chris, any other Kryptonian that will show up in the future or even Krypto and to a degree, Mon-El.

OddlySurreal
Do keep in mind, though, that the "sole survivor" issue doesn't come up just with the survivors of New Krypton. It's also right there with Kara, Chris, any other Kryptonian that will show up in the future or even Krypto and to a degree, Mon-El.

Of course, you're right about that. But what makes a population of 100,000 Kryptonians so interesting (as opposed to a cousin, a surrogate son, a brother-like friendship, etc.) is that this is basically For The Man Who Has Everything, except it's for real.

copacetic:
Very nicely put. I loved that post, thank you.

Thank you: it's rare to see a generous and polite comment like that on the internet.

Chiptooth
I prefer Superman as the sole surviving Kryptonian, but that doesn't mean that you'd have to exclude other characters like Supergirl or the Zoners, necessarily - personally, were a reboot my call, I'd revise them to fit this concept the way they were back in the post-COIE comics of the late '80s (ex: Zod being from an alternate universe) and even the DCAU in the late '90s (ex: Supergirl being from a neighboring planet to Krypton).
http://jochimus.deviantart.com/

Jer-El
I was able to get over the current Supergirl quickly in Superman/Batman. Giving Superman another family member deepened his character a little. Now all the other versions of Supergirl (after Matrix) annoyed me. Once Kara got in her own title and went in the teeny bopper girl power direction things got weird. I'm glad her title has been absorbed fully into the Superman universe. As for New Krypton, it's a story and I'm treating it as such. I just hope Superman gets back in touch with his roots at some point (his supporting cast in Smallville and Metropolis). That's what truly makes him the Last Son of Krypton.

Duncan B
screw being obsessed with last son of krypton! needs to remember his real family n remember hes the man of steel 2nd and clark kent 1st
'I am Clark...Supermans just what i do'

Young Superman
The reason I pefer Kal to be the sole surviving Kryptonian is that there is someing about out of this great tragedy. This lone baby survives gets raised by simple farmers and becomes the greatest superhero of all time.

Jump to Forum: