Print Thread
Happy birthday Bryan Singer!
I just want to say happy birthday to the amazing director Bryan Singer, the creator of Superman Returns.

djintheuk
Happy Birthday to Singer! For whom I too am grateful for Superman Returns.

Dj in the UK

Pravus
Happy Birthday Bri, thanks for everything.......

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/pravuss/th_superman-boots.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Happy birthday Mr. Singer! Fight to make "Man of Steel"!

PScottMorgan

Lol! Grin

Haven't seen that one for a while!

Yep, happy Birthday Bryan. (I wonder if the door hit him on the way out of the Superman franchise?!)
Easy Miss, I've got you...

Utah13
PScottMorgan wrote:

Lol! Grin

Yep, happy Birthday Bryan. (I wonder if the door hit him on the way out of the Superman franchise?!)

wow LOL, That pic sums up Superman Returns perfectly. Thanks again Singer.

Utah13 wrote:
PScottMorgan wrote:

Lol! Grin

HOLY RIGHT-ON-THE-MONEY BATMAN!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

New actor for the Superman Reboot! No more Routh or Singer!

Rosszul
Ahriman wrote:
Utah13 wrote:
PScottMorgan wrote:

Lol! Grin

HOLY RIGHT-ON-THE-MONEY BATMAN!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

New actor for the Superman Reboot! No more Routh or Singer!

LOL, Just make Superman Returns go away, forever.

johnnyfog
LOL, you guys!

(its funny because everybody hates Singer irrationally! tee hee)

Pravus
Awwww, you broke the chain Johnnyfog.

BTW - I don't think anyone's expressions here border on irrational, they're all valid points.

johnnyfog
Maybe so, but it's awfully mean. You people seem to think he's the Joel Schumacher of the Superman world. He was given a dated script which bent over backwards to appease those who were mourning the Reeves (not just one, but two of them!) and that curmudgeon Donner. What did you expect?

Annoying kid > rubber nipples

NeoRanger
Singer had an awfully large input in the story. The Return storyline, Jason, Richard, the Jesus metaphors, the love for the Donner films... pretty much every aspect of SR that gets heat was his decision. He doesn't get blamed for no reason; if anything, it was his writers that got the short end of the stick.

Ironically, he'd be better of being the Schumacher of the Superman franchise. At least then, he could blame it on the studio. On the contrary and unlike Schumacher, the guy never got any responsibility for the movie's failings. He didn't even admit that a "Director's Cut" version should exist, despite the unanimously sloppy editing.

Edited by NeoRanger on 24/09/2008 18:12

johnnyfog
He doesn't get blamed for no reason.

....seriously? He actually approved all of those cliches? All 900 of them?

Well, in that case send him to the gallows. If its true, anyway.

NeoRanger
He didn't approve them; he came up with them.

johnnyfog
Frankly, I don't believe you. I''m not entirely ignorant of SR's production, and I seem to remember that Singer wrote the first draft of the script. Then again, his first draft included Zod. So who knows how much he contributed to the final script. Maybe only fragments of his ideas survived to see the end.

I know he messed up big time with the suit, but keep in mind he's a Silver Age kinda guy. And alas, there are many, many, many others who agree with him on that note, especially if they grew up in the 70's.

Edited by johnnyfog on 24/09/2008 19:18

Utah13
I think Singer did his best. He had a tough job. I?m really glad he had his chance, because the next director will have a very good understanding of what not to do. For me 95% of the problem was actors, Sups Suit and the Kid. I would guess Singer had 100% of control over that.

ChurchDoesTex
You wanna know what's even funnier than that picture of Supes in heals? A bunch of sheep who use a Happy Birthday thread as a chance to berate Singer.

Why don't you send him a birthday card with a note inside that says, "You suck!"

Real classy gentlemen. Why hasn't this thread been shutdown or moderated yet?

[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
http://www.seekin...perity.com

Utah13
baaaah baaaah

Pravus
johnnyfog wrote:
You people seem to think he's the Joel Schumacher of the Superman world.

I believe you've just insulted Joel Schumacher.

ChurchDoesTex - I didn't have a card or an address to send it to so the next best thing, the nicest thing, was to post that pic as my birthday present to him; it was the least I could do.

Two things:

1). I don't think Rosszul is a "Gentleman".

2). If you are going to refer to people as farm animals then I agree with you, the thread should be shut down.

BTW - If we are what we eat, then I am a farm animal.

Moo

Edited by Pravus on 25/09/2008 18:42

johnnyfog
Singer considers Superman I a "classic", but then again it was the big movie when he was growing up. So I suppose he can't fathom remaking it. We have to remember (I've said this countless times now) that just because a movie stars a comic book character doesn't mean that fans of the old version won't take offense. It isn't like James Bond (and keep in mind, there's still people who refuse to acknowledge anyone but Connery) where you can have a revolving door of actors. Any new movie will essentially erase the original version from public memory. That's what made Singer squeamish. The least we can do is try to understand that.

Edited by johnnyfog on 25/09/2008 18:35

Jump to Forum: