Print Thread
Meet The New Superman? Marvel and DC in Super Struggle Over Actor !!!!!!!!
Utah13
templepriest wrote:
Utah13 wrote:
Better Joe Meathead than Brandon Pansyman Routh

You are more than a little hateful there Utah13 (is that your age?)( . . .and are you familiar with the Shakespearean line " . . . methinks he doth protest too much"Wink

Suffice it to say - your true self is pretty evident here.
Superman would be ashamed of you

lol, no I?m not 13, but sometimes I guess I act immature....and the last thing I want to do is seem hateful to a priest. Using a term like "panseyman" was definitely uncalled for, and as a priest I beg thee for thy forgiveness.. Using labels like Panseyman are extremely hurtful. Through your example father, I will tone it down, maybe use nicer terms like "Meathead"

Edited by Utah13 on 14/09/2008 00:35

JUST FOUND THIS AT THE HYPE FORUMS!!!

This guy is no beefhead! HE'S AN AWARD WINNING ACTOR! Guys we can't let Marvel steal this guy away. I'm trying to get my buds to work on some Superman manips pronto. Anyway here's the link and I went ahead and posted what this actress wrote here for all to see.

http://forums.sup...p;page=135

Here is some excerpts from her post:

Pluto writes:

I decided to make a separate post for this subject of ?Steve Ryan Rogers? since I have been bombarded with PM?s and I want to tell you as much as I can to erase the rumors that he is ?some CGI created from marvel? which is completely wrong. For the life of me I can?t remember his exact name but I remember for sure that part of his name is Ryan. Just to note, I?m copying and pasting much of what I wrote here and am going to send it to Marvel because if they haven?t signed him on already they really need to know about him.
I met him at the big IMTA convention in New York a few years ago. We share the letter R for the beginnings of our last names and that is why we kept bumping into each other (I was trying to bump into him for obvious reasons lol) over the course of the week. For those of you who don?t know IMTA, it is basically like a closed session American Idol for actors and models. Elisha Wood, Aston Kutcher, Eva Longoria, and Katie Holmes all came from there as well as many others. Casting directors, agents, and anyone and everyone from the entertainment industry swarm this competition to not only judge the competitions but to also find people for their movies, businesses, agencies, and productions ect. To even get into IMTA to compete you have to go through audition after audition like American Idol to be able to finally take the stage there in front of the big time judges.
When I first saw ?Captain America? he was walking through the hotel lobby in NYC and a bunch of people were turning their heads and approaching him saying ?Hey Steve Rogers!?
He is probably about 6?2 but no taller I think. I have met Arnold once (just a handshake nothing big) and he seems about the same build and size type.
People were calling him Steve Rogers so much that I couldn?t understand if that was his real name or people were just identifying him as the character but I remember some people using the name Ryan. (Remember this was years ago so I?m pulling from my memory here.)
He is very hard to miss and I had my eye on him from the first time I saw him and a lot of other people did too. He just looks exactly like Captain America and we thought originally that he was actually already with Marvel for the movie and was maybe one of the judges from the confident way he carried himself and how he seemed to help anyone who had questions about various competitions or whatever. I heard he was going to compete in the ?monologue? competition early in the week and I was really curious to see what he was like acting so I made sure to be in the back of the big room he was going to perform in. The monologue is about a 3 min segment where it?s just you on the stage performing a scene in front of a panel of judges. It can be a known one or one of your own that you wrote. He wrote his own monologue I later found out from one of the people who knew about him I asked and so I sat back there that day and unfortunately remembered listening to a lot of other younger competitors talk negatively about him who were obviously pretty jealous and intimidated by him because of his big presence and probably because for some reason this day he had this really intense serious look like he would crush someone if they said something to him. Now generally the monologue is supposed to be something funny or something lively and you?re not supposed to go too ?drama? or too ?dark? if you want to have a chance to win. But obviously he was taking a risk and wanted the judges to see he could give a dramatic presentation. This is the only competition I saw him in and my description won?t do him justice at all but I will try.
Also! ( He was in the competitor range of around 18 and up. So he was going against some experienced actors who were anywhere from 30 to 55.)
The guy before him was I think around 40 years old and he did a great monologue as one of the U.S. Presidents but I was watching Steve Ryan because he just looked SOOOO intense. He was dressed in a nice grayish silver suit like a FBI agent would wear or something and he just looked like a professional athlete or somebody built incredible the way the suit was tapered for his little waist and his big shoulders really filled it out. He never seemed like some freak bodybuilder to me at all, (I?ll get to that later) because he was just really built super strong but not too big at least for my taste.
So people were getting anxious around him in the line by the stage because he just looked deadly serious and would talk to nobody. Others were whispering or carrying on a little you know in between competitors. Finally after I waited for an hour Steve Ryan Rogers took the stage. There is one chair on the stage too as a prop and you can do whatever you want with it. His monologue was about him being a police officer who was being told he was being pulled off the case of the murder of his wife by his commanding policeman or whoever. He went through a gauntlet of emotions on the stage and started out reminiscing about how much he loved his wife and how he would always come home and see her laying on the couch looking up at him saying ?come here baby? with her arms out ( and his eyes started tearing up real bad and his voice was shaking when he emulated what his wife would do putting his arms out and smiling).
Then he turned towards his commander ( this is a one man performance so actors pretend you know like in a play sometimes.) and I swear I got chills down my spine because I think everyone felt like he was looking at them and he started saying slow and deep about how his wife was raped murdered and mutilated and I was just tearing up myself bad because he was starting to cry but he was getting angrier by the second. I mean he looked like an animal in kill rage. Wolverine would have ran away if he saw him that moment! Seriously! And then Steve Rogers (I remember this line vividly.) picked up the chair with his hand like it was a twig and flung it off the stage and lunged forward and he said, ?I?m not gonna let this go. I?m not gonna let you or anyone else tell me what to do or get in my way.?
Tears started running down his face and I heard a couple people gasp and it startled the heck outta me and then he said shaking and quivering like he was ready to obliterate everyone, ?I?m gonna bring the fury of hell onto the man who killed my wife! I?m gonna get justice!!!!!? and the last sentence just shook the room because he has a very very deep commanding voice.
OHOHHh?.I?m like ashaking right now because ooww everyone was just dead silent. And then he walked off the stage and people were just stunned and usually the next competitor gets up there you know to do his thing but nobody moved. And he stayed in character all the way around the room with his eyes locked on his commander as if he was daring him to say something or get in his way. Finally he sat down to watch the other competitors and he just had this wild look on his face like he was that police officer. He was still in character! And it was funny because the announcer was really quiet and he finally said softly kind of hesitantly, ?next.? as the next competitor slowly walked up to the stage. I watched as one of the competitors sitting beside him who was an older man probably 50 kind of punched him in the shoulder and grabbed him and I heard him say, ?That was incredible. Incredible!?
Steve Ryan then snapped out of his character and smiled and hugged the guy and said thanks. He sat there and watched all the other competitors and when it was all done he was very gracious to them and congratulated every single one of them and told them ?good job? or something nice that walked by him on the way out and I think they were shocked that he was so nice as a person. I was really intimidated to say the least but I managed to make my way over and congratulate him. I told him that his performance really moved me and that I thought he should win even though he took a risk and went against the rules. He was very nice but I could tell for some reason with girls he was very kind but I got the idea he had a girlfriend. He seemed kind of like a ?playboy? or I don?t know how to put it?..(like Commander Riker on Star Trek is the best way I can put it) the way he was so charismatic with the way he talked to me and other people but when I would try to slide a hint in that I was interested he would slam the door in my face by changing the subject strongly. Each night most everyone at the competition and I would all go out partying and seeing the town and we kept looking for him and a few people told us that he never left his room except to compete and get something to eat at the subway because he was rehearsing so hard for his acting contests. I was bummed cause I was hoping to run into him outside of the hotel.
Now lucky for me I actually got to sit beside him in the lobby at one point and I did get to talk to him briefly. We chit chatted and I remember him passionately saying about how he wanted to show people that he was a strong actor and not just some model or a bodybuilder. (Reading this I know you can tell that I had a huge crush ?maybe more on him but anyway I can?t help it. Lol) And this was interesting ? He said he had met with Brandon Routh?s agent that day as well as a bunch of others and that the agent told him he saw him as Superman not Captain America. ????? Go figure. I?m assuming the guy didn?t know much about the comic book Captain America? He also told me straight up that he wanted everyone to know that he didn?t take steroids or anything. I was caught off guard when he brought it up but he was really open about that and said that he actually trained to be Mr. Olympia and was going to get into the hard drugs as he called them but he chose his health over risky glory and decided not to take them and retired before he had the chance to turn professional I think. I kidded him and said, ?Yeah right? but he looked me square in the eye and told me again that he didn?t take them. So I believe him I guess. He seems like the type who would outwork anyone in the gym so maybe you could get that built without them. I dunno? I?ve done gymnastics and just about all the guys took stuff so who knows?
We talked about some other stuff but it was sometimes hard to get a word in because he would say hi to almost anyone that would walk by. If I had to say one bad thing about him(and I?m hesitant to say this because I did like him.)?.he is WAY TOO NICE. He just seems like that good Samaritan type who will help the old lady cross the street while greeting 100 people along the way and then running back across the street to pick up a coin someone dropped for them. LOL. He?s not that bad but I sensed he was just no fun as far as getting flirty or I don?t know maybe I was just frustrated that he wouldn?t open up more. (trust me I was trying hard.) To sum up his personality (to kill these crazy CGI rumors) imagine John Travolta mixed with a Tony Danza type with some original American persona that is just genuinely him. Oh and I remembered a person collapsed upstairs in this huge lobby and I saw him running like a bat out of hell 10 flights down just to get her an orange juice. She was hypoglycemic I think or something?? Anyway some people told me about it and I thought I should share that.
So on the big awards night which is really cool, I stayed long enough to see him win awards for the best headshot (picture) and he won top five in both modeling competitions he entered. It is very rare to see on person keep walking back up onto the big stage in the ballroom winning award after award because usually you?re lucky to win one or two but he kept going up there and the crowd really cheered loud for him every time. He didn?t seem cocky at all and had kind of a confident but humble way in how he waved and accepted the awards which I was surprised of. I thought he might have got a big head but he didn?t. Also for the modeling competitions I think they thought he was a bit too muscular because the couple guys who beat him looked really tall and not near as built really? And I did see him win the top award for the Soaps division competition which is considered the most ?acting? of the competitions because you do a big scene with a good actor and have to remember the script beforehand and do it on camera. (You are later judged by judges from the camera footage of the scene. It?s pretty cool.) I was told later that he won the monologue competition but I didn?t believe it because he broke the rules trying to prove himself but maybe he did, I just don?t know for sure.
So there it is! The little I know about him which turned out to be more than I thought when I wrote it out but I really just felt bad for him when I saw him getting trashed and people saying rumors about him being fake or whatever. And I read through some of the threads about him and I saw there was a lot of controversy so if you don?t like him that ?s fine. You probably have your fav actor you want to see be Captain America or you maybe want a Hollywood veteran actor to play the role which is great! You can probably tell from what I wrote that he is my choice for Captain America and all I know is that I hope to God Marvel knows about him if they haven?t got him snatched up already. I did see the youtube videos of him. I have no idea what they are from (independent film maybe?) and I actually was surprised his hasn?t been in some action movie by now but maybe he?s been doing stage work or maybe even stand up because I remember someone telling me that I needed to see him do his comedy routine and he was really funny doing some Arnold and Pacino parody or something.

END OF PLUTO EXCERPT.

Put me down as a "no". The guy looks like he'd be more at home playing the villain's comically dim-witted henchman then Superman.

As for Superman's physique, imo it should be modelled after statues of greek gods (which after all is one of the inspirations for him in the first place), muscular and toned but not someone who looks like a steroid junky, and certainly not a wrestler. Its Superman, not the Hullk. The actor who is eventually chosen should have a swimmers body.

Edited by on 19/09/2008 06:54

Steve Wright
The actor who is eventually chosen should have a swimmers body.

No. Superman has to be built. He can't have a swimmers body. Look at Phelps, does that look like a Superman build to you?

Having someone with that build is as wrong as having someone that is built like a steroid fiend.

Utah13
Steve Wright wrote:
The actor who is eventually chosen should have a swimmers body.

No. Superman has to be built. He can't have a swimmers body. Look at Phelps, does that look like a Superman build to you?

Having someone with that build is as wrong as having someone that is built like a steroid fiend.

agreed!!!

ChurchDoesTex
Steve Wright wrote:

I think the best body so far has been Dean Cain's version of Supes. I'm not saying he was the best Supes, but his body. He could have been a little taller, but his arms/shoulders/chest/neck/abs were IMO perfect for the role. Here's hoping they can find something better or comprable.
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
http://www.seekin...perity.com

johnnyfog
I think the best body so far has been Dean Cain's version of Supes. I'm not saying he was the best Supes, but his body.

Part of what made him great was the way Clark's muscles didn't show at all when he was wearing a suit, so he looked like a regular dude. If you have a pro wrestler with a frankenstein neck, that wouldn't work.

I also liked L&C Clark's hairstyle, which was more or less adopted in SR (alas, Superman still has that ridiculous "S" curl).

Edited by johnnyfog on 20/09/2008 09:02

NeoRanger
Cain's body was somewhat reminiscent of Reeves (though bigger). No definition, but great bulk. One of the good things about both of them, that Routh sadly lacked, was that they had big chest-back-shoulders. I don't care about definition on Superman outside the comics, but I want him to have a big upper body.

ChurchDoesTex
Pravus wrote:
The way he's built in Kingdom Come would work for me and helps support a secret identity of someone who WORKED on a FARM growing up.

My wife's uncle owns/runs a full farm: both he and his sons have large builds - not bodybuilder types. Superman shouldn't look like a body builder.

So everyone who works on a farm is huge? Superman is huge because he grew up on a farm??

Interesting.
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

NeoRanger
This kind of work tends to create bulk but not definition, not the kind you get in a gym. That's what Pravus probably meant. Since Superman has to be big, it'll be more "visually plausible" if he leans more to the side of "big" rather than "gym-defined".

That aside, seeing how one of Superman's original creational inspirations was Hercules, I find it kind of fitting.

johnnyfog
So everyone who works on a farm is huge? Superman is huge because he grew up on a farm??

Interesting.

Do you personally know any farmers, ChurchDoesTex? Is this your particular realm of expertise?

ChurchDoesTex
johnnyfog wrote:
Do you personally know any farmers, ChurchDoesTex? Is this your particular realm of expertise?

Nope! None at all! That is why I found it interesting. . . . . Wink

Kidding aside, I find the assumption that all farmers are huge to be somewhat not true. I'd be willing to bet that there are big and small people everywhere. LOL! Although there may be a little truth in that manual laborers get more exercise than non-laborers, it seems to me that size has more to do with heredity/genes/lineage. Sure, there are lots of stuff out there that contradicts what I just wrote, but being a farmer isn't one of them IMO. LOL!

Actually, I do know one Midwestern farmer, and he is huge! LOL! Kind of goes against what I wrote, but nonetheless, I stand by it.

I'm going to inquire at the gym tonight if they have a "farmer's workout" regimen. Maybe they'll "corn" feed me and make me drink whole-milk out of the bottle?

[img]http://www.blackphi.co.uk/images/farmers.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

johnnyfog
Farmboy or not, a muscular Superman isn't a terrible idea. This is becoming a meandering thread so maybe we can avoid semantics for now?

copacetic
Superman being big and ripped is pretty redundant because he's Superman. He's already superpowered. If anything, he just would have a lean muscle going on because he would have very little body fat.

Steve Wright
Superman should be built. He needs to strike an imposing figure. However, he SHOULD NOT look like he just spent the last year sucking on steroids. Whoever plays him HAS to pass for a normal looking Clark Kent. If you get somebody huge to play Superman than it's even more ridiculous when he's Clark, because with the suit on underneath and his regular work suit he would look ridiculous.

while I will be the first to admit that I want someone with a bit more of a broader build to him than what brandon has, grabing a bodybuilder wouldn't be the way to go.

for starters their builds are ridiculous. their legs look absolutely stupid. they can't act. they can't move naturally due to their bulk. it would just be a bad choice.

I think the way he's been depicted on the last few covers of Action Comics (the brainiac stories) as been perfect.

ChurchDoesTex
I think this thread has given this guy more attention that he has ever gotten!
Grin

johnnyfog
I think this thread has given this guy more attention that he has ever gotten!

At last, we agree. Cool

Hypoxic
Meh.
Easy, miss. I've got you.
_____

Get away from me, padre. You reek of the irrational. - Lex Luthor

Jump to Forum: