Print Thread
Superman Reboot: What we want to see...
ya know...just throwing this out there, but when i first heard that heath ledger had gotten the role as joker for the next batman movie, i was disappointed. comming off his knight's tale movie and broke back mountain...i just couldn't see heath pull off anything near what jack nicholson had done. (i always held the orignal 89 batman close to my heart and had no interest in seeing a revised joker, i wanted them to do another villian story)

boy...was i wrong...BIG TIME.

and i knew i was wrong the moment i seen joker's make up.

rip heath.

Edited by on 03/09/2008 00:27

ChurchDoesTex
I think it would be cool if the reboot were grounded in a reality similar to TDK. People say this can't be done because of Supes' fantastical powers, but I beg to differ. Heroes on NBC has done this with some success.

Tone down the sfx of his powers and portray a world which is still mystified that a man can fly. Maybe superspeed shouldn't be show at all? He just appears out of nowhere kind of how when Lana discovered Clark's powers in Smallville.

Although the Williams score is a must, maybe the action sequences of the film could be not as theatrical in terms of score. Lots of action, but limit the campy heroic music.
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
http://www.seekin...perity.com

NeoRanger
^^ Since WB seems intent on a realistic approach to Superman (even though Spider-Man didn't need it, despite the scientifically ridiculous origin), they can do it with pseudo-science. Not the kind that involves exploding sharks and people turning into dust when dehydrated, but the kind that simplifies certain scientific aspects enough to be understandable to the general public and explain to a degree the powers at the same time.

Since Church mentioned Smallville, I'd do the exact opposite thing. In Smallville, Clark's super-speed has zero impact on those around him. To make him plausible, even if his powers aren't explained, they should (to the point the character allows it) still function within a realistic framework.

"Returns" played that aspect for, like, three minutes, during the plane rescue scene. When a plane falls, all sorts of crap happen inside. You can't just stand opposite to it and stop it. And guess what? The plane scene is arguably the best scene in the movie.

ChurchDoesTex
NeoRanger wrote:
Since Church mentioned Smallville, I'd do the exact opposite thing. In Smallville, Clark's super-speed has zero impact on those around him. To make him plausible, even if his powers aren't explained, they should (to the point the character allows it) still function within a realistic framework.

Agreed, audiences nowadays are much more sophisticated and crave the realism. However, at what point should the line be drawn? I mean, does the carpet catch on fire as he speeds over it? Should there be smoke coming from his shoes? The realism is needed, but adding too much might even camp it up a little.
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Pravus
On the subject of keeping Superman's abilities realistic, the last thing I want to see is Superman freezing people/things with his breath.

If you give it some thought, Superman can't exhale below freezing temperature air and if he exhaled that hard he'd blow whatever he was focusing on right of the planet.

Sure, he can blow out fires and move people/objects but that's about it.

johnnyfog
I would like to get rid of freeze breath. It's not a very useful power. Flight, strength and speed are enough for me. It brings Superman 'back to basics'.

NeoRanger
I don't mind the freeze or super-breath. I just don't want it used carelessly; that scene in Returns that he blows out the fire in a house from a distance (news footage in one of the Planet's monitors) is ridiculous.

ChurchDoesTex
What do you guys think of a movie where the point-of-view shifts from Supes to another character such as Perry? So we?d see everything as Perry views things. Superman would be nothing other than an aloof superhero. A member of an ensemble cast. Not the leading role. The focus would be the events that happen, how those events get reported by the Daily Planet?s star reporters Lois and Clark, and what implications a true alien with superpowers has on society?s understanding of the universe.

Doubts would be silenced when Superman defends earth against another alien intruder, Darkseid. (This would also satisfy those who want to see Supes throw down.) Again, this would occur from the perspective of a third party.

Although I don?t think it would work that well, it is intriguing to imagine.

Edited by ChurchDoesTex on 03/09/2008 19:41

Pravus
johnnyfog wrote:
I would like to get rid of freeze breath. It's not a very useful power. Flight, strength and speed are enough for me. It brings Superman 'back to basics'.

I like his Super hearing, ocular abilities (with the exception of him being able to see a soul, WTF) and his invulnerability and would hate to see them go.

johnnyfog
Whoops. I forgot about telescopic vision and super-hearing. Yes, those are essential.

But I stand by my opinion of super-breath. Really. Shock

Pravus
johnnyfog wrote:
Whoops. I forgot about telescopic vision and super-hearing. Yes, those are essential.

But I stand by my opinion of super-breath. Really. Shock

I count X-Ray & Heat vision among his ocular abilities too.

The Super-breath, doesn't bother me when he uses it to move people/objects or cushion falls but when he freezes things and inhales enormous amounts beyond his lung capacity that's when I have a problem.

Rosszul
I don't know about the rest of you or even if anyone has touched upon this but I would like to see the reboot filmed here in America the way the first Superman movie was (I know it would cost a fortune).

Steve Wright
The first movie WASN'T filmed in America. It was filmed in Montreal, and London mostly. There were only a few shots that they did in NY. But, the bulk of the movie was shot in London. The Smallville stuff were shot in Montreal.

Im-Jon

Agreed

what? you guys dont like it that superman can rip off his s and use it as a giant plastic bag? plaz some weird teleporting game? speed around the earth to reverse time whenever something bad happens? or how about using blue ray beams to fix the great wall of china?..

johnnyfog
you guys dont like it that superman can rip off his s and use it as a giant plastic bag? plaz some weird teleporting game? speed around the earth to reverse time whenever something bad happens? or how about using blue ray beams to fix the great wall of china?..

You forgot eidemic memory. Because he has SUPER-intelligence, too, get it? Frown

The superman comics are always in danger of making him too godlike. If Superman can rearrange a solar system or tear apart a star or trods over an army of villains with little to no effort, is there any wonder why he's considered dull by contemporary standards?

Pravus
demonix wrote:
how about using blue ray beams to fix the great wall of china?..

Lol, masonry vision.

brandon_2385
johnnyfog wrote:
you guys dont like it that superman can rip off his s and use it as a giant plastic bag? plaz some weird teleporting game? speed around the earth to reverse time whenever something bad happens? or how about using blue ray beams to fix the great wall of china?..

You forgot eidemic memory. Because he has SUPER-intelligence, too, get it? Frown

The superman comics are always in danger of making him too godlike. If Superman can rearrange a solar system or tear apart a star or trods over an army of villains with little to no effort, is there any wonder why he's considered dull by contemporary standards?

But Supes has always been God-like. Wasn't that Shuster and Siegel's vision in the start? Yes, he does have a humanity side since he was raised on Earth by humans, but that's what sets Superman apart from all the other superheroes.

I believe that the people who think Superman is too dull or too difficult to tackle is missing the point altogether. I mean he's SUPER...man. Trust me, I love Batman too...and TDK was great grounded in reality but to some degree when you do that with Superman he begins to lose his powerfulness. Batman is a self-created hero, when Superman was born Superman.

johnnyfog
I believe that the people who think Superman is too dull or too difficult to tackle is missing the point altogether. I mean he's SUPER...man.

You're kind of missing my point. Superman is viewed as a god by earth's people, which probably makes sense. But treating him as one (from a writing point of view) is anti-climatic.

He's invincible. He's infallible. Luthor is like an annoying gnat who keeps attacking him and over, only to get swatted. I can't imagine anything more banal than that.

NeoRanger
But Supes has always been God-like. Wasn't that Shuster and Siegel's vision in the start?

Actually, the original Superman wasn't God-like at all. He was just what his name said; Super-Man. He was really Man, only stronger, faster, more endurable and incorruptible. A Man of Steel-y strength, skin and will. But a man, nonetheless.

It's just that as time went by and other super heroes kept popping up with all sorts of powers, he had to keep up and try and stay on top of them.

Jump to Forum: