Print Thread
Casting Call
johnnyfog
Nina Kaczorowski as Lois!!!!!!!!!

Her biggest role is (literally) Henchwoman no. 2 in Goldmember. Frown

Edited by johnnyfog on 06/09/2008 08:38

James-El
Because i want Brandon Routh as Superman i'll just post about other actor/actresses who could play some other characters.

My choice for Zod is Gerard Butler Grin i seriously hope he gets the role, that is if Zod is going to be in this Movie(s).
Superman: "I'm for everyone"

Doright
ChurchDoesTex wrote:
Doright wrote:
Heck.. I'd rather they bring back Dean Cain . . . . .

LOL! I'm still hoping they'll bring him and Hatcher back for some kind of made-for-tv-movie to finally conclude the L&C continuity correctly! A tv show, or a movie with an aging Superman story would be ground breaking and absolutely awesome.

The next poll should be "Are you tired of rehashing the same 20 year period over and over again?" C'mon folks! Seriously, we're caught in a vicious Superman groundhog day!

Smile I was half kidding. but a L&C TV movie would have been sweet. 8-10 years ago.... Sadly with Lane Smith passing on it just would be too hollow at this point.

But anyway... my point was they should either use an actor already established as the character (Welling or Routh) or use a totally unknown.

I don't want So in so staring as Superman... I want Superman played by So in so... If that makes sense?
-----------------
Douglas Trumble

ChurchDoesTex
Doright wrote:
Smile I was half kidding. but a L&C TV movie would have been sweet. 8-10 years ago.... Sadly with Lane Smith passing on it just would be too hollow at this point.

Strange, I thought the same thing as I was writing that the other day. It would be impossible without Lane Smith.

Regardless, an aging Superman story is what I'm holding out for. I can't tell you how sick and tired I am of rehashing the same 30 years over and over and over again.

I don't want So in so staring as Superman... I want Superman played by So in so... If that makes sense?

Yeah, that makes sense. I don't care who plays Supes, as long as I believe it is Superman.
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
http://www.seekin...perity.com

Anyone interested in voicing their opinions FOR Brandon Routh - can go here: http://www.blueti...hp?t=28166.

Honestly Pravus - I get chatised for posting that in 2 threads and here you are posting your thing in EVERY thread.Wink

Kel
What about Eddie Cibrian?

[img]http://www.buddytv.com/articles/Vanished/Images/Eddie_Cibrian_Vanished.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

...or Michael trucco?

[img]http://www.watchingbsg.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/michael-trucco-head.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://scifipedia.scifi.com/images/thumb/e/ec/Michaeltrucco1.jpg/265px-Michaeltrucco1.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

^ Reminds me slightly of the JLU Superman. Grin

Im-Jon
What abooout Samuel-El Jackson??!

Pfft

[img]http://www.mcnblogs.com/filmfatale/samjacksonpulp-thumb.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

[img]http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/sam-jackson-int-1.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Im-Jon
And now I'm proceeding to write this response because I know now for real that you people lack of a sense of humor; but if you prefer me being a little more "serious" about this casting subject, then I'll get serious, as serious as for not being banned from this place:

If the next Superman comes to be an unknown actor, there's a 50-50 chance for the movie to either be asuccess or a fiasco (as SR). When Christopher Reeve got the part, he was an unknown. But it worked. And that's why his face can't be dissaciociated from Superman; but his was a very unique case, considering all the actors that preceeded him. Even George, who much people still holds as THE Superman.
But somebody thought this "unknown actor" thing to be some kind of alchemichal formula, regarding to Superman, and so every new Kal-El related project starts always with the casting of an unknown actor for the part. And so, never has there been tried to make a final product (movie or Tv-series) about Superman using a renowned actor. Yes, there were the screen tests with Matt, Ben and Brendan, and I don't remember now who else. Personally, I don't see either of them for the part, too. But, here's a thought: we KNOW for certain that , i.e, Nicholas Cage is very good actor, maybe a great actor, but the moment the news aboout him being casted as Superman spread, every started to object, every damn fanboy, little ones and overgrown ones. Heck, even I did it, many years ago. But what if thanks to his skills in acting Cage could have delivered us a great Superman, even with Chris Reeve's face still holding ther as THE TRUE Superman???
So the point is: no, I really don't know which actor could portray Superman in the next film! Pfft Seriously! I'm not giving it much thought; but I really, really hope that, renowned or not, the next actor can make a better Superman than Routh or Welling (I hope neither of them return as Superman to the big or small screen) and my he can put Christopher Reeve's "legacy" aside; set it apart. Chris Reeve is dead, may he rest in peace. He willl be Superman for me, forever. But the industry and the fanboys must move forward. It's sad, but that's the truth.

Ps: Samuel could be great for a Tangent Superman movie, though! Pfft

Edited by Im-Jon on 11/09/2008 02:49

Kiwi Kal-El
johnnyfog wrote:
Since Superman is all about the "truth and justice" bit, I think he would frown on steroid injections. (hint hint)

Actually Johnny, Mike is a really nice guy and has been drug free for ages (if not for life). While his muscular look might not be to everyone's taste he did do a fan flick a few years ago called 'World Finest - Superman Batman' in which he cut an reasonable figure...

most of you will have seen it but just in case........

http://www.spike....an/2645491

He's not exactly a natural actor (even if he's a natural Bodybuilder) but with time and lessons & good direction....who knows.

Just a thought.Grin

Better than some skinny boy child actor.

johnnyfog
Actually Johnny, Mike is a really nice guy and has been drug free for ages (if not for life).

FWIW, Kiwi, I'm convinced he's a nice dude. But performance enhancers are so prevalent in every sport that its becoming impossible to compete without them.

I'm a pessimist and you won't be able to convince me, I'm afraid.

Maybe a hulking Superman is the way to go. But if you do go that route, you're going to have a tough time disguising him as a harmless reporter. They might even say, "screw it", and cast two different actors.

Edited by johnnyfog on 12/09/2008 22:44

Bizzar-o
Im-Jon said:
we KNOW for certain that , i.e, Nicholas Cage is very good actor, maybe a great actor

You're kidding right? I have not yet seen ANY evidence that Nicholas Cage is a "good" actor.
Any director who would seriously consider him for the role needs his head examined. Ghost Rider may have been half decent if it wasn't for him being in it.

IMO there's only one actor for the gig & so far a fair amount of people are agreeing; Jason Lewis.

[img]http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/jason-lewis-2005-vanity-fair-oscar-party-5wVDIA.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

Die his hair black & hey presto.
Gosh Mr White that's terrible!

Kiwi Kal-El
johnnyfog wrote:

FWIW, Kiwi, I'm convinced he's a nice dude. But performance enhancers are so prevalent in every sport that its becoming impossible to compete without them.

I'm a pessimist and you won't be able to convince me, I'm afraid.

Maybe a hulking Superman is the way to go. But if you do go that route, you're going to have a tough time disguising him as a harmless reporter. They might even say, "screw it", and cast two different actors.

So your a confirmed pessimist and I'm an optimist.

Serious question - Are all Hollywood actors drug taking, Alcoholics then?

IMO Probably most are but not all.

Which creates a problem (mainly for a pessimist) to accept an actor who snorts Cocaine and drinks booze to excess but objects to someone who looks like he has used Steroids.

Back to your point about hulking actors- I believe its mainly a costuming problem by which I mean having a tailored suit for CK that makes him actually look smaller. Filming him from above so the height difference is not so apparent and lastly (but most important) good acting.

We all probably remember the scene in STM when CR takes off his glasses and is suddenly transformed into Superman. Thats the sort of acting thats required (more important that bulging biceps IMHO)

johnnyfog
We all probably remember the scene in STM when CR takes off his glasses and is suddenly transformed into Superman.

Ok, look. Everybody talks about Christopher Reeve's "technique" and "acting genius", but his Clark Kent was an insufferable spaz. There's no reason to go to such extremes to differentiate Clark and Superman. I was really looking forward to seeing what Routh would do with Clark, but he didn't get many lines overall (as Clark or Supes), so my hopes were dashed. The result is: everybody still uses the 1978 movie as a template for everything Superman. SIGH.

But enough complaining from me. I don't know how much help a "tailored suit" would be in making someone look smaller. Maybe the best route is to take a page from All-Star Superman and make Clark appear worn and out of shape?

Im-Jon
You're kidding right? I have not yet seen ANY evidence that Nicholas Cage is a "good" actor.

Snake eyes (1998), Leaving las Vegas (1995), Adaptation (2002), Lord of War (2005), Wild at Heart (1990)...

As many other actors, for each 5 movies he has done 2 or 3 that sucked. Overall, he's a great actor; and, nevertheless, you can't ponder his talent because of one bloody movie, such as "Ghost Rider". Yes, it actually sucked, but that doesn't negates his best works.

And, for what I've said before, it was just a hypotheticall situation, an "elseworld", a "what if..?"; nothing more. Just thought "how it would have been? with the propper direction and script?". But that's just me!!

Im-Jon
And for f*** sake's man, you complain about Nick Cage but then some out there still want to se "Tommy" Welling as the next S??? HE'S A BLOODY STONE!!! I MEAN, COME ON, even Keanu Reeves is more versatile and histrionic!!! Keanu "monotone man" Reeves!! Though, I like Keanu. "Ted" Theodore Logan...

I'm sorry, too much off-topic! Pfft

Utah13
Im-Jon wrote:
And for f*** sake's man, you complain about Nick Cage but then some out there still want to se "Tommy" Welling as the next S??? HE'S A BLOODY STONE!!! I MEAN, COME ON, even Keanu Reeves is more versatile and histrionic!!! Keanu "monotone man" Reeves!! Though, I like Keanu. "Ted" Theodore Logan...

I'm sorry, too much off-topic! Pfft

That?s true....

The hardest Job that Warner faces is just selling us a Superman. That?s the biggest hurdle they face. There are many differing opinions on this site "all valid" as to what sup should look like act like ect. constructively we need to find some kind of compromise. So far the only thing we all mostly agree on is..

Movie wise Superman is facing a second death, if this reboot isn?t a huge hit, with at least 80 percent of the people on this site thinking it was great.

ChurchDoesTex
Utah13 wrote:
The hardest Job that Warner faces is just selling us a Superman. That?s the biggest hurdle they face.

I agree. Especially because the supposed reboot is too soon after SR. People will be like, "WTF, Warner changed their minds again? Didn't the Superman franchise already start over with Superman Returns?? I'm so confused."

It's one thing for us, because most comic geeks and fans can grasp the term "reboot", (regardless if we agree with it), but I think the general public will have a hard time swollowing this. The new Batman franchise had a decent amount of time between "Batman and Robin" and "Batman Begins."

If Warner wants a reboot to be successful, they're gonna have to wait a decade before Supes flies again. Sucks for us. I know this isn't a gambling site, but we should start some kind of informal pool who can guess the closest as to when the new Superman movie will come out. My money is on June 26th 2015.
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

NeoRanger
On that meeting they had, when they announced the reboot, they claimed that the project is their top priority and placed it in the same timeframe as the third Batman, Green Arrow and Green Lantern. I'll be very surprised if we don't have a new film in the following three years.

And I have to disagree about how few chances the film has to be successful enough if it's soon after SR. SR, for starters, was a mess in terms of continuity. I don't know how many movie-goers actually thought that was restart for the Superman franchise. In addition, the film was released in 2006. It's been two years already. If the rebooted film isn't ready for a another three years, we have a gap of five years between SR and the new film. Sure, it's less than Batman had (seven years in his case, IIRC), but it's still quite longer than what sequels get.

Steve Wright
What Neo said.

ChurchDoesTex
NeoRanger wrote:
On that meeting they had, when they announced the reboot, they claimed that the project is their top priority and placed it in the same timeframe as the third Batman, Green Arrow and Green Lantern. I'll be very surprised if we don't have a new film in the following three years.

Yeah, Warner's top priority always comes to fruition when it comes to superhero movies. JLA anyone?? How about the Superman hell for 20 years before SR came out?? Sorry, I have little faith in this endeavor. I predict a lot of stammering news conferences revealing nothing of real importance. Like Lex said in season 3 of Smallville, "A person isn't who they are during your last discussion, they are who they've been the whole time."

I don't know how many movie-goers actually thought that was restart for the Superman franchise.

All the more reason my point is valid. There is a lot of people who think that SR was the beginning of a new franchise because it was. Just because the continuity was loosely tied to the first two Donner films doesn't mean the franchise was the same. Marketing campaigns were different, the tone was different. . . .we know the direction Singer took was different. Sure similarities existed, but this was a relaunch of the Superman franchise. The sheer amount of time sought to that.

Sure, it's less than Batman had (seven years in his case, IIRC), but it's still quite longer than what sequels get.

So, we're going to have two Superman franchise relaunches in a 5 year span?? I don't really think it is a matter of whether or not it is a sequel. In order for the new franchise to stand on its own, it will have to greatly differentiate itself. . . . .and even though SR got some stuff wrong, it got a lot right as well.

Jump to Forum: