Print Thread
Lets just let Chris Nolan do all of DC's movies..
MildMannered79
Personally, I believe that the old-school characterizations of Superman and his cast could work if they carry more modern sensibilities and live in a world that reflects the modern one. I'm not just talking about modern clothes, cars, and flat-screen TVs. I mean have issues and problems that are fictional facsimilies of real-world events like , the evironment, wars, terrorism, and other modern-day issues that audiences can recognize and relate to. Superman and most of his supporting cast have been relatively the same for decades, no matter the media or interpretation. Keep the personalities the same, yet adjust them for the modern world they live in.

Update the villians so they are three-dimensional and have motives that we can understand. Lex doesn't have to be an industrialist, but make him a criminal mastermind with a network of competent crooks who do the dirty work for him so he never takes the fall. He can still be rich and powerful, and a genius, but he wouldn't have the land schemes that many hate so much, and he wouldn't be the dull, boring, overrated "wealthy industrialist who's really a crook" type baddie either. I don't like that type of Lex and I'm not alone.

I'm willing to give Singer another shot, along with Routh. I think Routh could do even better if given a chance to make the role his. If not Singer, then I want a director who will respect the fact that Superman needs to have heart and emotional content in his stories, otherwise they become predicable slug-fests like The Incredible Hulk was to me.

I'd rather see a small, not as well known director handle Superman. He or she would put the charcter and the story ahead of the action, but would remember to keep the fun and excitement in the picture so the movie feels like a complete comic-book style adventure. Christopher Nolan wasn't very well-known until Batman Begins, and you see they kind of effort he put into his Batman. I'm willing to give Singer another shot is because he's gotten his tribute to Donner's Superman the Movie done and has reintroduced Superman to audiences, he can now focus on delivering what should be a bigger and better Superman story.

If Singer can stay away from relying on Donner's work and make an exciting, original, and modern Superman epic, then I think he can win over those fans who don't trust him with their favorite superhero and blow away those that stuck it out with him.

Edited by MildMannered79 on 29/07/2008 22:08


This looks like a job for...Superman
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/Dragonsblade77/SignatureBanner.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
 
johnnyfog
Actually Lex's "White Collar" persona was created in the mid 1980s by John Byrne.


Superman is over 70 years old. Corporate Lex was introduced in the mid 1980's. Hence "recently". Thanks for the history lesson (?) though.

Which pretty much proves the point that a cinematic face lift is long overdue.


One man's opinion. But consider that the original (true?) Lex Luthor was a Buck Rogers-style supervillain who built giant explosives and positioned them over every major city on earth. Which is more faithful to the comics?

But I agree with your point of view. In the modern world, most crooks are in legitimate business anyway, so there's no excuse for the smartest guy on the planet, Lex Luthor, to be reduced to seducing octogenarian women or looting banks.

Sadly, however, the universe does not revolve around me and if more people out there can find religious and geopolitical subtext in a story with piano-tossing children and cackling bald guys with a real estate fetish, then far be it from me to pass judgement. :/

Edited by johnnyfog on 30/07/2008 14:48

 
Drago
Superman is over 70 years old. Corporate Lex was introduced in the mid 1980's. Hence "recently". Thanks for the history lesson (?) though.



Sorry there bud, didn't mean to offend. I still wouldn't call the mid 80s recent, heck for some youngsters it's a lifetime. And yes Superman has been around for over 70 years but in that time frame Lex has been updated several times. I guess everyone has their favorite incarnation of the Superman characters but in the end it's all about the dollar.
Drago
 
Drago
P.S. I certainly do enjoy talking about these nuances with people who know Superman as all of you do. I don't have any friends who really know or care about this kind of stuff. Smile
Drago
 
Kal-El85
Drago wrote:
I on the other hand would like to see a JLA movie, but you are exactly right, not if it's a rush job for the sake of competition against the Avengers. Which brings us full circle in conversation... a collective universe of characters has to be established.


I couldn't agree more. I had begun to get on board for the JLA movie until I saw how Marvel began to establish that "collective universre" with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. I now feel that DC should go a similar route and not rush a JLA movie.

The first Priority should be a new Superman movie. NOT an origin story! Just a fresh new adaptation that establishes the character in a modern story. I think it would be great if they rebooted Superman and filmed the sequel soon there after.
That way they could get a new Superman movie out by 2010, the thrid Batman movie in 2011, then the Superman sequel in 2012 and finally a Batman & Superman movie a year or two later. They could also throw in a Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or Flash movie the same summers as the separate Superman and Batman movies.

Edited by Kal-El85 on 30/07/2008 13:33

 
Drago
Kal-El85 says:
They could also throw in a Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, or Flash movie the same summers as the separate Superman and Batman movies.



Don't forget Aquaman. Green Lantern has always been one of my favorites. It broke my heart when they threatened to take a comedic approach with Jack Black a few years back... glad that died.
Drago
 
Rosszul
Pravus wrote:
Doright wrote:
As good as TDK was I don't think a person should automatically be considered perfect for another character. Especially one so different.

In fact I think it probably shows us that Nolan would be exactly the WRONG person to do Superman.

Seriously. Nolan seems to NAIL the dark brooding nature of Batman perfectly but Batman is so different then Superman that I think what you need instead of Nolan is the anti Nolan.

Just look at Singer. He did a Fantastic job with X-men, especally X2 but he turned out to be the wrong choice for Superman. Why? Because he nailed the outsiders, alone in the world, vibe of the X-men but that vibe just didn't work for Superman.

Yes Superman is the last of his people but he rises above that. He is not a loner. He has great friends. a Loving family. He doesn't let the tragity of his past drive him and bring him down. He is hope made flesh. a postive inspite of the negitives. Who ever makes a movie about that needs to know that and just because Nolan was able to nail batman doesn't mean he's right for that.


I am seriously impressed by how well Christopher Nolan is able to bring who the characters are to the big screen in a current-today's world type fashion while remaining true to said characters without compromise.

That is why I said would like to see what Chris Nolan could do with Superman.

I think it's wrong to assume that Just because he "nailed the dark brooding nature of Batman perfectly" means he couldn't bring who Superman is to the big screen.

I completely agree with you that Brian Singer was and is the wrong choice for Superman.


I'm with you Pravus.
 
Hi guys, was I the only one who came to see The Dark Knight because of the Joker? I mean, I laughed everytime I saw Batman on screen, with that silly "Batman Voice" that Christian Bale does. I think that is a director that gives his actors too much leeway. And why does batman get to wear Bat Armor, and the Joker only has his knives and his warped mind?

It's funny how alot of people on here are saying how Cheesey and Dated Superman is. When Batman steps on screen with that ridiculous Power Ranger Costume, talking like Harvey Firestein. I could not think of anything more Cheesey the a grown man dressed up Bat costume, and a bad looking one at that.
 
Kal-El85
petev1975 wrote:
Hi guys, was I the only one who came to see The Dark Knight because of the Joker? I mean, I laughed everytime I saw Batman on screen, with that silly "Batman Voice" that Christian Bale does. I think that is a director that gives his actors too much leeway. And why does batman get to wear Bat Armor, and the Joker only has his knives and his warped mind?

It's funny how alot of people on here are saying how Cheesey and Dated Superman is. When Batman steps on screen with that ridiculous Power Ranger Costume, talking like Harvey Firestein. I could not think of anything more Cheesey the a grown man dressed up Bat costume, and a bad looking one at that.


Are you serious? ....I mean really? It is a fictional character. You know that right? The costume is just part of the package. Maybe you would have been happier seeing the X-Files or something?
Virtually all comicbook superheroes wear costumes, and no other one gave a more logical or "realistic" explanation for why "a grown man would dress up in a Bat costume" than BB & TDK. If you can't appreciate the Dark Knight, I sincerely doubt if you can appreciate any superhero adaptation, and in that case.. why are u even on this site?

....Boo this man!!!!

Edited by Kal-El85 on 03/08/2008 19:53

 
johnnyfog
Ack! Trolls. They always come in the summer when no one has anything better to do. Frown
 
Drago
Regardless of weather you liked it or not the numbers don't lie. Everyone else seemed to. It's funny, I keep hearing about Bale's Batman voice but saw nothing wrong with it. Nitpickers.
Drago
 
Kal-Elvis
Well, that's the only tiny-tiny-tiny hint of a hiccup I had with the movie, too - Bale's Batman voice. Sounded like they needed to work on his lower range. Sometimes, though.. like when he's really ticked off, it works well and he can get a good gravel in there, but parts of it sounded like he was trying too hard to get low.

I think that many people are so used to Kevin Conroy (who has the most masterful Batman voice I've ever heard)...his voice has so much depth and it gives the impression that he's not even trying, which makes it that much more impressive.. Bale's is like apples to Conroy's oranges and it takes some getting used to.

But that's a really small thing - it's still one of (if not the) best Superhero movies ever made, imo.
[img]http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/Mugen/Supermananimation.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.[img]http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/gifs/rs.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.[img]http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/gifs/sb.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.[img]http://www.jamieaaronkelley.com/gifs/ca.gif[/img] is not a valid Image.
 
Kal-El85
Yeah, I agree with that. I just ordered the entire Batman: The Animated Series DVD's and in the first episode you really pick up on how Conroy masterfully creates two distinct voices for Batman and Bruce Wayne. Bales' Batman voice seems too forced and really doesn't compare. However, its a small spec in an otherwise flawless movie.

Edited by Kal-El85 on 05/08/2008 10:36

 
yes, I'm a troll because I dare challenge the masses.

Honestly, did anyone feel Batman was out of place in the film? The whole film had this beautiful Noir feel to it. Like a detective novel. Then all the sudden this guy dressed up in a bat suite with fake muscle shows up. Gordon, Harvey Dent, even the Joker doesn't wear a custom. I think Christian Bale is the best Bruce Wayne, but his Batman is really pretentious.

Batman is suppose to the only Super Hero that doesn't have super powers, right? But the way he can appear and disappear from a scene certainly makes it look like he can teleport.
 
johnnyfog
yes, I'm a troll because I dare challenge the masses.


Yeah, I bow to your bravery.

Anyway, while I don't like overhyped movies, The Dark Knight was probably one of the best superhero movies. Do you see any better ones? What is the criteria?

~

Edited by johnnyfog on 05/08/2008 06:36

 
sbeamish
Well, I finally saw The Dark Knight yesterday, and I can now say that I believe Christopher Nolan is absolutely not the man to direct Superman.

First let me say that I enjoyed BB and I feel that TDK is even better. The 2 1/2+ hours practically flew by (as they did the first time I saw Superman Returns). But, at the risk of becoming very unpopular around here, I've got to say that I did not find this to be a flawless movie. (And I ain't talkin' about Bale's voice.) Nor will it ever top my personal list of the best superhero films of all time.

For a picture that's been widely hailed for its "realism," there are several lapses in logic. Thematically it is very strong but I also found it to be untrue to itself and to the earlier movie.

This is not a TDK bashing thread, and I really have no desire to bash a movie I liked. Later, for anyone interested, I will detail the problems that I, my wife and one of our friends saw in the movie over on Bizzar-o's "Why so tedious?" thread on the miscellaneous board.

These, IMO, amount to some pretty minor complaints overall. Still they are problems that would NEVER be forgiven or overlooked in a Superman movie.

Sorry Mr. Nolan. If you did Superman, I fear you'd lose all of these good fans.
 
Solaris
sbeamish wrote:
Well, I finally saw The Dark Knight yesterday, and I can now say that I believe Christopher Nolan is absolutely not the man to direct Superman.

First let me say that I enjoyed BB and I feel that TDK is even better. The 2 1/2+ hours practically flew by (as they did the first time I saw Superman Returns). But, at the risk of becoming very unpopular around here, I've got to say that I did not find this to be a flawless movie. (And I ain't talkin' about Bale's voice.) Nor will it ever top my personal list of the best superhero films of all time.

For a picture that's been widely hailed for its "realism," there are several lapses in logic. Thematically it is very strong but I also found it to be untrue to itself and to the earlier movie.

This is not a TDK bashing thread, and I really have no desire to bash a movie I liked. Later, for anyone interested, I will detail the problems that I, my wife and one of our friends saw in the movie over on Bizzar-o's "Why so tedious?" thread on the miscellaneous board.
These, IMO, amount to some pretty minor complaints overall. Still they are problems that would [b]NEVER be forgiven or overlooked in a Superman movie.[/b]Sorry Mr. Nolan. If you did Superman, I fear you'd lose all of these good fans.


I absolutely agree with you that TDK is not a flawless movie. And I liked it as well. And yes, I agree that fans have doble standards when it comes to judge a Superman and a Batman movie. Sadly.

I can't wait to read your detailed review. Cool
BRING ROUTH BACK WRITING CAMPAIGN: http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/showthread.php?t=28166


Superman: "You said that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people craying for one."
 
Solaris
petev1975 wrote:
yes, I'm a troll because I dare challenge the masses.

Honestly, did anyone feel Batman was out of place in the film? The whole film had this beautiful Noir feel to it. Like a detective novel. Then all the sudden this guy dressed up in a bat suite with fake muscle shows up. Gordon, Harvey Dent, even the Joker doesn't wear a custom. I think Christian Bale is the best Bruce Wayne, but his Batman is really pretentious.

Batman is suppose to the only Super Hero that doesn't have super powers, right? But the way he can appear and disappear from a scene certainly makes it look like he can teleport.


Agreed.
BRING ROUTH BACK WRITING CAMPAIGN: http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/showthread.php?t=28166


Superman: "You said that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people craying for one."
 
johnnyfog
True, Christian Bale is a better Bruce Wayne than he is a Batman. And his voice/costume has always kind of irritated me, which is why I didn't like Baman Begins as much as others.

But Spider-Man 1 had much more glaring faults and a much worse performance from the villain yet everyone is being totally merciless toward TDK.

Some perspective, people, please.
 
sbeamish
johnnyfog wrote:
True, Christian Bale is a better Bruce Wayne than he is a Batman. And his voice/costume has always kind of irritated me, which is why I didn't like Baman Begins as much as others.

But Spider-Man 1 had much more glaring faults and a much worse performance from the villain yet everyone is being totally merciless toward TDK.

Some perspective, people, please.


Having only seen The Dark Knight once, I don't actually consider myself qualified to judge the picture, nor even to form my own objective opinion. Like SR and BB, it's the kind of movie you really have to watch a few times to get a feel for what the director is saying. I hope to devote some time to it, when the DVD is released.

I merely said that I don't think it is a flawless movie. Furthermore, I honestly believe that these flaws, if they appeared in a Superman movie (perhaps particularly one directed by Bryan Singer), would be getting a lot more internet play.

As good as it was, and as favorably as it was received, Spider-Man did have its critics.

No one around here seemed to think there were any problems with TDK aside from Bale's voice. (Which I actually liked, even if it isn't as good as Kevin Conroy's.) Yet I personally know a few of people who saw some of the same problems I did.

I guess persepective is exactly what I was trying to add.
 
Jump to Forum: