Print Thread
Jason
Kal-El23
After watching Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut again the other day, I realized that Kal-El and Lois...well, did the deed while he still had his powers. That scene happened before he gave them up, so with that being said, it is correct for Jason to have powers in 'Superman Returns'....although, I know that Kal-El shouldn't be able to breed with an earth woman, but hey, we already suspend belief that a man can fly.
I Know My Destiny

Angeloz
For "Superman Returns" the earlier films are not canon including "Superman II" though similar stuff may have occurred but not everything. Also Superman with or without powers is genetically a kryptonian unless written otherwise. So would any offspring or at least they'd be half-kryptonian. If they were dominant (the kryptonian genes) then the child would develop powers.

Angeloz

Edited by Angeloz on 25/10/2007 03:16

copacetic
I'm assuming the Kryptonian genes would definitely be dominant. I'd imagine those genes kicking Terran genes in their collective throats and establishing dominance...if genes had throats, that is. Ahem.

At any rate, the Lester cut is basically considered canon. So in that cut, Kal El and Lois did the do while he was depowered, but he was still Kryptonian genetically. So the traits of the father would go to the son.

Hynad
copacetic wrote:
At any rate, the Lester cut is basically considered canon. So in that cut, Kal El and Lois did the do while he was depowered, but he was still Kryptonian genetically. So the traits of the father would go to the son.

Nope copacetic. It was repetitively mentioned that there is nothing canon as far as the Reeve movies go. Singer always talk about them as a vague history. Basing this on the fact that most everyone on earth know the origins of Superman.

Vague is not canon.

Pfft

Edited by Hynad on 26/10/2007 23:24

Angeloz
As I said he's still kryptonian unless something made him a Homo sapien then any offspring would at least be half-kryptonian. So even if depowered because his powers were blocked it still would be the case. Which could mean they might have powers if the genes were dominant. Now if his powers weren't blocked then it also would be true.

Angeloz

copacetic
Hynad wrote:
Nope copacetic. It was repetitively mentioned that there is nothing canon as far as the Reeve movies go. Singer always talk about them as a vague history. Basing this on the fact that most everyone on earth know the origins of Superman.

Vague is not canon.

Pfft

I'm basing the belief that the Lester cut is canon mainly because the Donner cut was made as more of a fan service than anything else, plus it was released on DVD at fairly the same time as all the other Super-DVDs last year. Singer never at one point really mentioned having included the Donner Cut continuity into his movie, and even if the DC exists, the Lester cut will always remain canon. The DC was more of an exercise in showing what a film could have been; no official statement was made saying that its continuity supplanted the Lester cut in terms of continuity.

I do agree though, since Singer used the words "vague sequel", anything can be called into question. Whether Kal El was depowered or not when being intimate with Lois, he still passed on Kryptonian genetics to their child. Which begs the question, why didn't they use protection or protective measures either way? Did they want to have a child?

Lol this just begs even more questions not PG enough for this site!

Angeloz
Well we don't really know the circumstances of their relationship in "Superman Returns" except they got together. Now if it was similar to what happened in "Superman II" I'll note it wasn't planned and even if she was on the pill it could of failed. Especially if she forgot to take it that day or more than one day or if she was on antibiotics or something that counteracted it. But I say "if" because we really don't know exactly what happened and that was the point. Because it was supposed to be a surprise especially to those that don't remember or know the earlier films.

Angeloz

I did a Mendel square (which I hope works). I'm no biologist or geneticist, but I think that no matter which way you do it, there's at minimum a 50% chance Jason would have powers, even if the powers were recessive (possible allayed by a depowered Clark?). Clark's Kryptonian anyway, so that trumps depowered intimacy in my book.

Edited by on 27/10/2007 23:12

PScottMorgan
A Mendel Square, eh? Personally I think a Handel Circle works for me. Except at weekends when I prefer Kendal Pentagon, but that's just me...

My friend's really into Randle Triangle, but he's weird anyway and is always going over the top.

Grin
Easy Miss, I've got you...

sbeamish
I vote for a Wendell Wilkie.

Wink

O...k. lol

I meant a punent square. I coudn't spell it until I looked it up. I thought I could get away with saying "Mendel square" as Mendel discovered crossbreeding stuff. lol

sbeamish
As long as you didn't rely on "Luthor" Burbank.

Kal-El23
I personally, and am probably the only one that does, consider the Donner cut canon, because that is the way the second film was originally intended. Not that I absolutely hate the Lester cut, because I like it a lot, but it's just that 'Superman II' should've been directed by Richard Donner.
I Know My Destiny

Angeloz
But that's the Christopher Reeve Superman not Brandon's. By the way I'm glad we have both Lester and Donner though I wish we had the TV version from the eighties 'cos I like that the best. But I'm glad I got to see the scenes with Jor-El.

Angeloz

Angeloz wrote:
But that's the Christopher Reeve Superman not Brandon's. By the way I'm glad we have both Lester and Donner though I wish we had the TV version from the eighties 'cos I like that the best. But I'm glad I got to see the scenes with Jor-El.

Angeloz
You can find the Restored International Cut (RIC) on eBay, which is basically what you're talking about & I believe with even more footage than that was.

Angeloz
I don't shop online. I do look for things to order from shops. Now if they would just release the thing legally worldwide... I know - unlikely.

Angeloz

sbeamish
Angeloz wrote:

Angeloz

I still have that tape I made from the first TV airing in the 80s. But, boy, is it starting to break down? It's getting darn near unwatchable.

Angeloz
I foolishly taped over mine with both the first two films as I didn't know they were special until later. This was years before I had access to the internet.

Angeloz

It is at best wishful thinking that Jason is Kal-El's son. Kal-El is humanoid, not human; mammalian, not a mammal. But, there is a way consistent with quantum mechanics and what is known of Terran biology and evolution for Jason to have some super powers, and, by extension, Lois to be able to bounce around the inside of the airplane and not be seriously injured.

Kal-El's sperm, though unable to fertilize one of Lois' ovum was still able to behave like a virus and inject genetic material into any cell they came across. Any ovum that was then fertilized and then divided would have the genetic material incorporate into the embryo.

Which makes Richard White the father, Lois, with some help from Superman, as the mother.

Simple

hurley711
I might totally be off of my rocker here but here goes my theory on Jason:

Singer is treating him like a Bizarro, in that Green "K" gives him power instead of hurting him. He threw the piano right after he was exposed to the green K by Lex on the boat, I think Singer is making it that the green K activates or gives Jason his strength, opposite of his father. Human genes + Kryptonian genes = imperfect Kryptonian/human

Jump to Forum: