Print Thread
They got Lois ALL wrong.
Gingerman wrote:
Can you imagine?

".. all this and more I bequeath to you my son. This is all I.. all I can give you.. Oh, except this Super-Johnny for later in life! You don't want to have a child with an Earthling - your fans will get sooo upset.."

EDIT: Once again Angeloz, you've given me the 'silly-bug'! Grin

LOL

johnnyfog
I think Lois was just as reckless as she was in the old films.

The weird part is, Bosworth doesn't look like the type to be reckless. She looks conservative and professional. So that's mistake no. 1 (horribly lazy casting).

Then, child neglect enters into it. This is a pretty sensitive area for anyone over the age of 12. If they didn't want Lois to catch flak for dragging her helpless kid onto a yacht, then thy shouldn't have done it. Even if you think it was justified and Lois was like Ghandi, it still takes you out of the film, which is a huge no-no. FAIL. My 2 cents ladies and gentlemen.

PScottMorgan
johnnyfog wrote:
I think Lois was just as reckless as she was in the old films.

The weird part is, Bosworth doesn't look like the type to be reckless. She looks conservative and professional. So that's mistake no. 1 (horribly lazy casting).

Then, child neglect enters into it. This is a pretty sensitive area for anyone over the age of 12. If they didn't want Lois to catch flak for dragging her helpless kid onto a yacht, then thy shouldn't have done it. Even if you think it was justified and Lois was like Ghandi, it still takes you out of the film, which is a huge no-no. FAIL. My 2 cents ladies and gentlemen.

Yes and no.

The writers needed to put Jason in a situation that put him in a stressful / life-or-death situation in order that he could unleash a can of super-whoop-ass and sow the seed that he is the next heir of the house of El. How else could that have been achieved?

Lex would hardly have sought her and Jason out to kidnap, therefore the Mountain had to go to Mohammed.

No, I stand by the way they wrote it - it's classic Lois; act first think later.
Easy Miss, I've got you...

Artemis
Well maybe she should have thought of that BEFORE having a kid.

Well since I'm sure it wasn't planned, then you suggest terminating? I guess that would be more in character? Perhaps she tried and it being a super baby, he didn't succumb...

Yes - abstinence!

Lest ye forget, he is a MAN. You try a vow of celebacy your lifetime.

all this and more I bequeath to you my son. This is all I.. all I can give you.. Oh, except this Super-Johnny for later in life! You don't want to have a child with an Earthling - your fans will get sooo upset.."

OMG! LOL.

No, I stand by the way they wrote it - it's classic Lois; act first think later.

ITA

You guys act like Mothers don't do this stuff. This is the world we live in. Some mothers are considered neglectful because they new babies kids in daycare 12 hours a day. Its all relative. Not all Moms are great Moms. No Moms are great in everyones eyes. Lois is who Lois is. Motherhood doesn't always change women.
~Artemis

johnnyfog
it's classic Lois; act first think later.

And her impetuousness would be nice, but as I said before, Bosworth was mild, reserved and totally professional up until that point, at which she went bonkers and dragged her five-year-old (?) onto a stranger's boat when she had a perfectly nice car just sitting there.

For a francise that is tied to the Donner films, it seems weird that they would prtray a Lois that is a complete radical change from the original. And after the rescue, she's quiet mechanical-mom again.

Steve Wright
For a francise that is tied to the Donner films, it seems weird that they would prtray a Lois that is a complete radical change from the original. And after the rescue, she's quiet mechanical-mom again.

Actually Lois Lane doing stuff without thinking through to the consequences is very much in line with what Donner and other Superman writers have portrayed through the years. Classic example...Jumping out of a window just because she thinks Clark may be Superman...

Nora-Lar
Artemis is absolutely right, moms do these things all the time! As a school teacher I have seen a lot! Last Columbus Day a mom left her 5 year old (Kindergarten) daughter at the front doors of our school. Only problem was that there was NO SCHOOL that day!! How the mom didn't notice there were no cars in the parking lot is kinda wierd, too. Lucky for the little girl one of our custodians came in that morning and found her crying outside. You know this event will somehow shape that little girl. Will she always be afraid to be alone? The family has moved away so I don't know how she is doing, but this is a story I'll never forget.

Anyway, back on topic, Lois acts first and thinks later. That's her nature, but she may have to change a bit and be more cautious now that Lex Luthor is back. Shock Smile

OddlySurreal
About Lois asking Richard to some family favour and getting her out of writing about Superman and how this is seen to be out of character for people...

In the scene where Richard and Lois are in the kitchen in their home, Richard points out, "you've been acting differently lately." He says this in light of Superman's return, trying to segue into talking about Lois's feelings for Superman. This suggests to me that Lois has never before asked Richard for favours because Perry is his uncle. She only did it because Superman is back and out of feeling insecure, she wanted to demonstrate to Richard she has no feelings for Superman. That's why Richard responds, "so don't do it then," as if she's always made such decisions independently. And continuing to feel insecure, Lois replies, "I'm not."

There's your answer. It's not out of character. It's just Lois feeling insecure about her feelings for Superman.

Sertan wrote:
About Lois asking Richard to some family favour and getting her out of writing about Superman and how this is seen to be out of character for people...

In the scene where Richard and Lois are in the kitchen in their home, Richard points out, "you've been acting differently lately." He says this in light of Superman's return, trying to segue into talking about Lois's feelings for Superman. This suggests to me that Lois has never before asked Richard for favours because Perry is his uncle. She only did it because Superman is back and out of feeling insecure, she wanted to demonstrate to Richard she has no feelings for Superman. That's why Richard responds, "so don't do it then," as if she's always made such decisions independently. And continuing to feel insecure, Lois replies, "I'm not."

There's your answer. It's not out of character. It's just Lois feeling insecure about her feelings for Superman.

No, when Lois asks him in the Daily Planet(right after she greets Clark, the same day Superman came back), he specifically says "again?", and in a skeptical tone of voice.

So she's done it several times, well before Superman came back.

OddlySurreal
Planet-man wrote:
Sertan wrote:

No, when Lois asks him in the Daily Planet(right after she greets Clark, the same day Superman came back), he specifically says "again?", and in a skeptical tone of voice.

So she's done it several times, well before Superman came back.

Damn, I should have checked the scene before I came into this thread all "humdy, hum, hum, hum, I've got the answers to EVERYTHING!"

Nora-Lar wrote:
Artemis is absolutely right, moms do these things all the time! As a school teacher I have seen a lot! Last Columbus Day a mom left her 5 year old (Kindergarten) daughter at the front doors of our school. Only problem was that there was NO SCHOOL that day!! How the mom didn't notice there were no cars in the parking lot is kinda wierd, too. Lucky for the little girl one of our custodians came in that morning and found her crying outside. You know this event will somehow shape that little girl. Will she always be afraid to be alone? The family has moved away so I don't know how she is doing, but this is a story I'll never forget.

Anyway, back on topic, Lois acts first and thinks later. That's her nature, but she may have to change a bit and be more cautious now that Lex Luthor is back. Shock Smile

You're telling me. I knew a woman who left her child in the car while she went shoping and at the time we lived in your state. Lets just say the kid was more than toasty he was dead and the moms in jail. What Lois did is a little less extreme and completly in character though I think that little tyc can take care of himself and mommy!

ChurchDoesTex
Artemis wrote:
Lest ye forget, he is a MAN. You try a vow of celebacy your lifetime.

He doesn't need to be celebate his whole "lifetime." Just until he's married.

Just because he happens to be a man doesn't mean he doesn't have willpower! He's Superman which means he should have more willpower than a normal man.

Actually, the fact that he didn't wait shows weakness.

Are we really that primitive that we let our sexual needs overcome our mind and then blame that lack of willpower on the fact that we are male? That is rather pathetic.
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
http://www.seekin...perity.com

Angeloz
Consential sex is just so wrong! He should be beat up while suffering kryptonite poisoning. He should be stabbed with kryptonite. Oh wait those things happened. Pfft

Angeloz

ChurchDoesTex
Angeloz wrote:
Consential sex is just so wrong! He should be beat up while suffering kryptonite poisoning. He should be stabbed with kryptonite. Oh wait those things happened. Pfft

Angeloz

All I?m saying is if you?re not ready to have a family, keep it zipped up. It kills me when people are surprised when they find out they are going to be parents. YOU FRICKEN HAD SEX!

[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.

All I?m saying is if you?re not ready to have a family, keep it zipped up.

Or at least use protection. It always saddens me when people wind up with unexpected pregnancies, because then not only is the mother's life functionally over, so is the father's (if he isn't a runner), and the child could well be resented for merely existing.

I don't believe in pre-marital sex, but I'm not going to declare anyone who has it to be inherently evil and destined for the pit. Still, I think a little foresight is still called for, because a third party might enter the situation without even having a say in the matter.

To paraphrase myself as a whiny, nihilistic teenager, babies don't ask to be born.

ChurchDoesTex
the-dork-knight wrote:
I don't believe in pre-marital sex, but I'm not going to declare anyone who has it to be inherently evil and destined for the pit.

Agreed. I think it is a "reap what you sow" kind of thing which is why I don't feel sorry for those in that situation.

Steve Wright
Looking at the title of this thread makes me think "At least she wasn't as screwed up as Smallville's Lois.." And you guys know how much I love Smallville, but I hate what they did with their version of the character. It's the reason I can be considered a Chloiser (Chloe=Lois). Just a much better representation of who Lois Lane is.

Angeloz
I agree with you swright that Chloe is a better Lois in "Smallville" . Except for a few episodes I've seen up to season 4 though. As for the having a child Superman is an alien so who would of thought he could have a child with a human. It happened but it's very unlikely. And he wasn't unhappy about it. I can't comment on the details on what exactly happened because we don't know; which people will and have complained about.

Angeloz

I can't comment on the details on what exactly happened because we don't know; which people will and have complained about.

For me, it's less a matter of alien/human physiology conceiving. I've watched Star Trek for years, and if I can buy Spock the half-human, half-Vulcan, then I can buy Jason. My problem is that, technically, the little bugger only exists if the amnesia kiss is in full effect. The problem then, logically, is that Lois would have to think she was conceiving divinely, or she jumped into bed with Richard within literally a week or so, a month tops, after the end of Superman II. At the same time, that means that Clark has to have left Earth within a roughly equivalent timeframe. It's a lot of what-ifs and maybes that I, personally, don't help the story structure.

Plus, if you use the Donner cut with the second time travel thing, then he shouldn't even exist. Period.

Unless of course something else happened in the interrim that we don't know about, in which case my whole point is rendered moot.

Angeloz
It could be a different story altogether though. As nothing is confirmed. Though I agree reverse time travel is out. I may comment on this later as I'm tired at the moment.

Angeloz

Jump to Forum: