Print Thread
"Superman Returns- The Videogame" Review
The game was good, for a Superman game, as a gamer though I had a few problems with it.

1: The controlls were a little hard to get used to
2: The graphics were not that good
3: On my playstation, when I was playing it, in some of the bigger battles it would actully lag, wich should not happen on a regular consol.

PScottMorgan
The X360 version is great - if all you want to do is fly around metropolis as Superman (and who wouldn't really). Beyond that, the gameplay was lacking, with no real story (dispite the movie cutscenes).

Needless to say s a Superman fan that wanted the ultimate Superman-game-experience I bought the game. After two days I had completed it, and now I rarely play it, unfortunately, as it's just a 'bash some robots - uh oh.. bash some monsters.. fly.. grr.. bash some robots...' repeat ad infinitum.

It could have been a great game. Sadly it isn't.
Easy Miss, I've got you...

No Marlon brando and williams score didn't help either.

PScottMorgan
To be fair to the developers though, Marlon Brando would have been a bit tricky to pull off! Him being dead an' all... Grin

ChurchDoesTex
Gingerman wrote:
Needless to say s a Superman fan that wanted the ultimate Superman-game-experience I bought the game. After two days I had completed it, and now I rarely play it, unfortunately, as it's just a 'bash some robots - uh oh.. bash some monsters.. fly.. grr.. bash some robots...' repeat ad infinitum.

I too thought that it was redundant in many spots. My biggest grief is that the game got progressively EASIER. Supes got way too powerful and the villians never really increased in difficulty. The lack of difficulty and and redundancy made the game monotonous.

I did like the graphics and the flight mechanics were awesome!
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
http://www.seekin...perity.com

ChurchDoesTex
dudelove wrote:

Yeah, these things would have helped it along, but as I said to Gingerman, it mainly suffered from the actual game play.

Even though Brando is dead, they could have gotten a voice actor that sounds like him. And I really don't see why the Williams theme or the new Williams theme wasn't in the game. Bleh.
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g306/rhervey41/wtf-Copy.jpg[/img] is not a valid Image.
http://www.seekin...perity.com

PScottMorgan
ChurchDoesTex wrote:
dudelove wrote:

Yeah, these things would have helped it along, but as I said to Gingerman, it mainly suffered from the actual game play.

Even though Brando is dead, they could have gotten a voice actor that sounds like him. And I really don't see why the Williams theme or the new Williams theme wasn't in the game. Bleh.

Yeah - I was just being flippant with the Brando gag. As for the music - the reason it wasn't included was that the 4 minute Superman score would have cost them more in royalties to John Williams than the two hours of other music they had put together.

Just a money thing unfortunately.

sman24
being a superman fan i liked the game & i loved the flying. but one thing about the flying that really pissed me off was that when ever you increased his speed in flight it would still go down. they said "in the game superman can fly up to 800mph" but it's so hard to get to that speed when the speed drops every time you fly for a short time. it would of been better if worked like a car with nos in it. like flying up to 60mph with out super speed and once in superspeed it shots you from 160mph with the burst in speed at 400mph right into 800mph with-in 2sec. also there could of been more to doafter the game was over and you had free play like save planes from falling into the city/ocean, saving people from falling from buildings, stopping robbers, stopping more twisters,flying out of earth atmosphere & have more citys to save. those things could have made this game better but all and all i still like the game.
arthur gardner

jpharrah
alright so i picked it up again and started playing cause it's been a few months... and i was just flying around....i held down the super speed button and flew back and forth back and forth through the city...and i hit the sound barrier 4 times....by the 4th time i could no longer hear wind or anything just music...anyone have this happen?....is that normal???

Steve Wright
yes

Ant-03
Um quick question... If you had to compare Spider-Man 2 to Superman Returns (both PS2) which has better game play? I'm playing Spidey 2 at the moment and i'm enjoying it. Haven't got SR yet (shame on me, i know.)

FlashGordon
Spider-man 2 deffinatly

It has a story, side missions, and the game play for when your swingging is amazing.

Ant-03
Good. I'm having a ball with the swinging. It's so fun!! I'm new to all this video gaming. Got a PS2 for xmas and i've played The Path of Neo which was great (took me two months to get through it!) and now Spider-Man 2 which is real fun. SR is next, but reading this, i think i'm going to be dissapointed. Sad

It's really hard for me to come down too hard on this game. I've played Superman for the NES, or as one reviewer put "Distinctly-Below-Average-Man." That was the kind of garbage that should come with a warning label.

The game is fun, at least to me, but I admittedly am more than willing to just fly around the city for a while and take out the occasional robot when the mood strikes me (obviously I have invested in the unlimited city health cheat). What's annoying is that there was so much potential here. When it comes to being Superman, they nailed it. Dead on. The problem is that there is so little story here.

I'd advise giving it a rental and see if you dig it. You can probably pick it up cheap now, I got my copy used for well under half price.

LOL dork knight I had that game and hated it (Superman for nes). I got my SR game for the 360 and while I rarely play it since I finished it b/c I spend most of my time on Oblivion or Lost Planet, it is a great game with great graphics. I admit the gameplay does get old after awhile but it is still a playable game and the best Superman game out there IMO, also if you have a 360 and want the John Willams music just buy the score and put it on the conslole then you can fly around to the music.

I'm saving up for a 360, or more accurately I'm waiting until it drops another hundred or so. My video game passion has begun to ebb somewhat in favor of my comic book passion of late. Those DVDs that Marvel is putting out right now are dynamite, and I figure if I buy enough of those, maybe DC will decide to follow suit.

Superman Returns is fun, and perfectly servicable, but I think what really irks a lot of people is that you can see the great game sitting just around the corner when playing it. It's the same sense I get when playing KOTOR II, that feeling that if the developers had just had a few more months we would have really had something remarkable.

TakeD0WN420
Back in 2004, I played Spider-Man 2 and thought that it was the best superhero game ever made. You truly felt as if you were swinging through NYC as the web slinger. Sure, it wasn't the best game ever. The random street missions soon got reptitive and the main story was far too short, but besides all that, the game did deliver with what the creators were aiming for. A game that made you feel like Spider-Man.

When EA announced Superman Returns would have an open ended city, I just knew it would be like Spider-Man 2, only with Superman. How right I was. The game does capture the feel of the character just like Spidey did. All the flaws are nearly identical (graphics, few missions, clunky fighting) they just tend to stand out more since they have been seen in Spider-Man 2. Its the formula we have to keep in mind, and thank God they did. Ultimate Spider-Man was a bit better in some ways while taking a step back in others (Why did they add in the magical pigeon we all hate so much?). It had more missions, gameplay, enemies, story, and visuals. The same has happened with Spider-Man 3. They took the best from the previous games and improved on them yet again. I can honestly say now that Spider-Man 3 is the best superhero game to date.

Superman Returns is on the same track. They have the right formula for the game. The open city, the play mechanics, Superman actually being SUPER! All of this works. I believe that when the sequal to the movie comes out, we will have another movie based game, only this one will be much improved as the latter two Spider-Man games. For a character that has never had a game TRULY represent him, Superman Returns was exactly the kind of game he needed. The formula just needs to be tweaked. I can't wait for Superman The Man of Steel. Even though that name has been used for a videogame already. (Sigh)Xbox.

This formula is great for Superman and Spider-Man. Can you imagine how sick it would be if they created a Batman game with this formula? A huge city to explore in the Batmobile or to swing from rooftop to rooftop. Throw in some REAL stealth gameplay and the Batman The Dark Knight game will be gold. Here's hoping.

I love ANYTHING Superman so much that Superman Returns had the most unlocked achievment points than any other game on my Xbox Live Gamertag. That is until TMNT came out, giving away achievments for practically everything. I could've sworn I heard the achievment bloop sound right behind me as I unwrapped the game case. Smile

Edited by TakeD0WN420 on 11/05/2007 02:43

Ant-03
I'm playing Returns now and i don't think i like it Sad I'm having to much trouble controlling Supes... maybe i have to keep practising.

I was thinking it would have been amazing to play Clark as well. Have him working alongside Lois. Sneaking around researching, getting into trouble, using superpowers subtly, and when it calls for it... become Superman.

Edited by Ant-03 on 19/05/2007 20:04

Which system are you playing it on? It took a bit getting used to but after awhile I loved it. Also I agree with what you said about Clark. What would be great is making a Superman RPG.

Why are all supes games so [censored] ?
What with all his powers there should be some awesome
superman games out there!

Jump to Forum: